1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Raleigh North Carolina and surrounding areas

Discussion in 'South East' started by Sandman614, Aug 22, 2013.

1. May 11, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    w.adventures

w.adventures Adventure is out there

Member:
    Nowheresville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Lexus GX470 Family Hauler
    My truck has a 34 gallon tank. I am not a fan of these higher gas prices. :annoyed: Luckily it rarely gets driven.

2. May 11, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    Limit it to 10gal. Let's those who actually need it, get some. The other people who are hoarding it, are just plain assholes.

3. May 11, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    And this, ladies and gents, why I never let my vehicles get below 3/4 a tank unless if I’m traveling long distances

learned that back in college when Ike, Katrina, and Rita hit. Since those I keep backpacking meals on hand at all times and my gas tanks full lol

I did park the truck and will drive the Jeep til it’s getting low. Hopefully that’ll get me through this stupid period. I know not everyone has the benefit of two vehicles but when this all started last night, both had nearly full tanks. It’s a good habit to keep up.

kite_325 likes this.
  4. May 12, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    Foghorn

Foghorn Senior rooster, instructing in the art of roostery

Member:
    North Cackalacky
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Off Road
    I’m the same way. When I was a kid, we lived way out in the country. My grandfather always said to keep your car at least half full in case we needed to go somewhere in the middle of the night. There were only two country stores within about 10 miles of our house and they both closed at 9pm. I’ve always followed that advice.

5. May 12, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 [OP] Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  6. May 12, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    Jwithers and w.adventures like this.
  7. May 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Easy enough to leave guberment out of it, but still talk about the issue. I just hope our trucks don't get lumped into it.. There are a lot of stupid trends out there, all with varying levels of danger... Automobiles are dangerous..

8. May 12, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
  9. May 12, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Back in our day it was cool to bag a car to the point you were dragging frame everywhere you went. That’s equally as dangerous but here we are. It’s a stupid trend but it’s no more harmful than a truck with 10-12” of lift and 40s driving around town

Archangel likes this.
  10. May 12, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Stupid yes, equally harmful I would disagree. bigger tires, more weight, likely not upgraded brakes, eh... at least the dragger has more friction for stopping :rofl:

11. May 12, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I don't see the issue, except if I read it correctly you can still squat the truck by raising it 3" in front and lowering 2" in rear.

I don't necessarily have an issue with lowering vehicles, but any lifted more than 6" suspension should definitely be banned. Most people don't properly position their Headlights after a lift.
    Speaking of headlights why can't we get any enforcement on banning aftermarket headlights or bulbs on vehicles

12. May 12, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Lol that’s fair.

I had a buddy with one leaf and cut front coils on a 78 Chevy. Truck snapped a 500hp driveshaft regularly so it had a whole lot of power. Factory brakes and never had more than two matching tires that were on their last leg. I remember doing a bit over a hundred mph one time and blowing a hole in the radiator and both valve cover gaskets. That thing was a disaster waiting to happen

13. May 12, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    The issue would just be in wording. Of those numbers are independent of one another then it’ll impact everyone. If they mean simultaneously then it’s just for squatters. Knowing the government it will be the former and it’ll give more power for tickets and fines for everyone

ovrlndkull likes this.
  14. May 12, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    So if it's 3" though, is it 3" suspension or 3" total vehicle height. Then we start getting into tire sizes and such.

Hopefully it's a hub to fender measurement.

15. May 12, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Enforcement is the issue, if you want it move to the other coast. There are DOT regulations regarding headlights, the Squatters are clearly breaking any form of policy on them. But my biggest issue with banning aftermarket lights is OEMs like BMW, Audi, and other "high end" manufacturer are using new technology including Lasers. This is always going to be brighter than anything GM/Ford/Toyota is using currently so part of the problem would still remain.

16. May 12, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    Idk how Silverado/Sierra get away with those amazingly bright lights. I'm squinting any time one of them are behind me on the interstate.

The higher end vehicles you speak of can blind you, but I've noticed it's generally only if they're facing up an incline coming at me. Since they're quite a few inches lower than the GM twins I don't have as much complaint about them.

17. May 12, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Good manufacturers have good technology like auto dipping lights to avoid serious issues. GM/Ford with their 12in wide walls of headlight.. well not much you can do with that 3-4ft off the ground stock. Except don't trucks fall into a different bucket than cars, I know big trucks (F450+ type trucks) do as far as fuel mileage acceptability ratings.

18. May 12, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    My opinion is its a start towards Aussie level or Cali level regs regarding vehicles. No thanks. If it were causing mass amounts of accidents or deaths I'd say let's entertain the idea of putting regulations on the squatted trucks but aside from that let them do as they will. It seems like those shops were whining a bit and the part about the air under the truck well I guess they did some good wind tunnel testing :rolleyes:. Many people drive where they can't see over the hood soooooo are we gonna regulate driving positions too. Slippery slope.

19. May 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Bryukhanov

Bryukhanov Active Member

Member:
    Russia -> NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Access Cab TRDOR
    TRD Pro grill, raptor lights, soft topper
    Considering the fact that if you go with over 3" of lift you get your CV's revoked, this doesn't concern me too much lol

But real talk wtf is this shit, at least let us have 4"

20. May 12, 2021 at 7:16 PM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Not all of us have CVs :anonymous:

it’s just overreach. It’s something the government shouldn’t have control over IMO

Mods, yes I’m pushing the limit. My apologies..

slander, Jwithers and ovrlndkull like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top