1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RAM Hemi is better for milage than TACO WTF?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by the.sight.picture, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    In Feb 2001 a buddy at work bought a brand new Dakota v6 DC. Nice looking midnight blue-within 1 year he had the engine, tranny, and rear end replaced. That's the entire driveline. In May 2001 I bought my Tacoma. In the summer of 2003 his Dakota started running like shit again and I remember they had his truck for a month:( I really felt bad for him because he paid as much as I did for my truck. At that point we were telling him to pull the lemon card but he got it back and it ran good, but cold idle was very erratic-I know this because I was at lunchtime sitting in my truck parked next to his at the time his workday ended and that truck sounded like an old Ford v8 missing a cylinder.
    He hated my truck that whole time and I don't blame him. 11 years later now and still not one problem-I don't even know if he still has his.
    Also way back in '92 another guy at work bought a Ram Cummins crewcab-had to have the tranny and rear replaced in his too.
    I could never ever even think of owning a Dodge just based on these two nightmares.
    I would, however, own a '64-'69 mopar:)

2. Mar 15, 2012 at 2:15 AM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    yup they do cut to 4 when coasting basicly or feathering the pedal, but once on a tiny incline in the road goes back to 8. the thing is, some have experienced problems with the engagement, for some is smooth transitions for others could tell there's a little jerk, not big but noticeable. also oil used made a big difference, different synthetics had better results in getting rid of the engagement being noticeable.
    that being said, the hemi built tolerances and/or alloys are a lot weaker than the toyota engine. i did first oil change on both engine with less than 500 miles, i could see small flakes and dusty material in sunlight on the hemi, where the toyota was super clean.
    as far as mpg, GC 4x4 hemi, town was seeing single digits with heavy foot. long hwy trips were 17-19mpg depending on terrain.
    ps: changing oil on the hemi is a pita, always got dirty since filter upside down and under the car, unlike the easy toyota change.

3. Mar 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I didn't take time to read this whole thread but had to chime in. I traded a 2005 Dodge Ram QC Hemi with the 20" wheel package. I averaged 14 mpg. :eek: When I lived farther from work and had more hwy miles I did get about 1 mpg better. That is it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get any better. I don't buy it. Even with the new mds (cylinder shut down system) Dodge put in, it didn't really help from my understanding. Now I can't say for the newer versions of the Hemi. Mine was the 345hp, the newer ones have 390 I believe. I can't imagine that helping though.

Another way to tell is head over to Hemitruckclub.com and read up. I was a member when I had mine. You do have to own one to be a member so you can only visit the site unless you pose.

4. Mar 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    SATXguy

SATXguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Mobtown Front Recovery bar Relentless Fab Bed bars (3) Quickfist 2 pair Husky Floor Liners Cali Raised bed channer stiffeners Cali Raised low profile ditch light bracket 27 watt ditch light pods w/ side projection OEM Ditch Light switch Roam Adventure Co. Roof top tent Roof top tent annex Costway 54 Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer Compact Smittybilt 2789-99 Transit Bag NOCO GC019 12-Foot 12V Adapter Plug Socket Extension Cable Scoshe Magic Mount for Iphone plus Hypertech Speedometer calibrator BFG KO2 AT 265/75/16 JDMCar Center Console Organizer TRD pro Grill TRD PRO Grille Vinyl Decal Gloss Super White X-Bull Recovery Traction tracks 3rd gen CamPark ACT 74 Action Camera DC cargo 2" Diameter Black Steel V-Ring BoltOn Trailer Cargo Tie-Down CLC 1173 32 Pocket Socket Tool Roll Pouch Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor Toyota Accessories PT580-35050-SB Bed Mat for Select Tacoma Models Rhino USA shackle hitch receiver Toyota Accessories PT580-35050-SB Bed Mat for Select Tacoma Models Smittybilt 3x30 recovery strap 30,000 lb capacity Smittybilt 3/4" D-Ring Shackle (Black) 4.75 ton rating 12V 140 Amp Dual Battery Isolator by KeyLine Chargers - Voltage Sensitive Relay Gen 3 Tacoma Auxiliary Battery Tray
    This is like asking your buddy what is the biggest fish you have ever caught!

For those that don't fish!

It's like asking someone how big is your cock! Everyone says they have 8 plus!

5. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture [OP] Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    negative 2 sir,,,,,,

6. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    I beat my 2001 dakota for 10 years. RCSB 2WD 5SPD manual, 4.7L V8. amazing shape when i sold it, very little rust. If you push your toys you better be able to maintain them. Very happy with it and sad to have sold it. Hope to be saying the same for this truck in another 13 years...

Products Discussed in

To Top