1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ram Mount Feeler

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lostsheep, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Apr 13, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    GSPdog7

GSPdog7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Central VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky Metallic TRD Off-road
    The anticipation is killing me!:annoyed:

Fleabag likes this.
  2. Apr 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    Fleabag

Fleabag Suck it Trebek!

Member:
    First Name:
    Uriah
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad - SSM
    Suspension: SPC Light Racing UCAs Old Man Emu 886 Coils Old Man Emu 90000 Nitrocharger Struts Old Man Emu 60091 Nitrocharger Struts Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leaf Spring Packs Dobinsons Greasable Shackle Bolts Old Man Emu 95PF5 Trim Packer Energy Suspension Bushings Timbren U Bolt Flip Kit And Bumpstops Timbren Front SES Bumpstops Total Chaos Cam Tabs Tires: Pro Comp 87 Series 16's Steel Wheels Goodyear Duratrac 315/75r16 Engine: aFe Cold Air Intake aFe Throttle Body Spacer HyperTech Speedo Calibrator HP Tuner with a JustDSM and nd4spdbh tune file 3° Exhaust Cam Gear from Mightytacoman Peddle Commander Throttle Calibrator Drivetrain: ECGS Front Differential 4.88 gears with Harrop E-locker ECGS Rear Differential 4.88 gears with stock E-locker Tom Wood's One-piece driveshaft Derale Transmission Cooler Derale Thermostatic Switch for fan Mishimoto Fan for transmission cooler Improved Racing Thermostatic Cooler Bypass and filter relocator for transmission cooler Electrical: Eaton RFRM Custom PDM 10 fused relay circuits, 10 fused circuits Feniex 4200 Mini Controller with MeSo Customs mount. LED Bulb Upgrade Front - Rigid D Series Pro - Flood Diffused Rigid D Series Pro - Spot Rough Country Midnight Series 20" single row ARB 9" knockoffs Rear - Rigid D Series Pro - Flood Diffused Communication: Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio Assorted GMRS Handhelds Suburban Assault Armor: MobTown Rock Sliders - Plated MobTown Tail Gate Reinforcement Brute Force Fabrication Plate Front Bumper Brute Force Fabrication HC Dual Swing-out Plate Bumper BAMF Full Skid Set Chaos Fabrication Bed Side Reinforcements Recovery: Superwinch Tigershark 11,500 SR Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Shovel Mattock ActionTrax Recovery Boards Straps & Shackles Exterior: Homertaco Ghost Raptor Grill Alpine Designs Offroad Cab Mount Relocation Brackets Fender Trim Firewall Massage Stubby TRD Antenna Weathertech Window Deflectors Toyota Hood Deflector Soft Tonnaue Cover Color Matched Canopy Custom Aluminium Box on Swingout Modified Bedslide Interior: MeSo Customs Maps Lights and Dome Light ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Relocate Bracket LostSheep's Ram Mount - Mount DynoMat Ram Mount X-Grips and Various Connectors UltraGuage Weathertech Floor Mats Chinesium A/C Knobs Horse Blanket Seat Covers.
    Me too!

3. Apr 13, 2017 at 10:59 PM
    1madmnky

1madmnky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Kansas via Fullerton 714
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4X4 DCLB
    Hella Supertones
    Damn, I way down on that list.
    I'll leave my Tech Deck on for now.

4. Apr 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM
    FawkQ

FawkQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB V6 4.0 6M "The Sequel"
    Anyone higher up on the list wanna trade spots with me?
    :fingerscrossed:

5. Apr 14, 2017 at 5:07 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Ex-MA Hole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner, Previously a 15 Sport
    My goal is to do it this weekend- I don't have all the parts yet, so we shall see- still waiting for the short connector arm, due tomorrow. Ball is due later today. I may do it today if it warms up at all.

6. Apr 14, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    So....They are in....sort of....

Initial observations?
    1. Take a pic of the back of your radio when you get it open. my 2015 Sport non nav has a metric shit ton of wires.
    2. Make sure you have an allen wrench for the screw kit that comes with the kit
    3. When you put it back together, make sure all the wires are out of the way or you need to take it out again and redo it.
    4. Take your time. I had the first run out and then back in in one hour. That said, I went to put in the last screw to hold the radio and had to take it all apart as a wire was blocking the hole.
    5. Do not do this when you are in a rush. I tried to pop it off before work and had to stop. The right side bottom is spinning, so I either stripped it or the tape broke and it moved. The left side isn't lining up. I stopped and will finish/redo it later to try to get it in correctly- I was rushing it and should not have
    6. Putting the dash and stuff back together sucks

Looks amazing, seems like it will be solid as a mofo, but this is not something than can be rushed

Lostsheep[OP], Fleabag and Ryanpawns like this.
  7. Apr 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    Ok. Update. They are as in as they are going to be for now. I had to take the dash apart again. Left side is in, nice and tight. Right side, I am pretty sure the backside fell out and that it is just floating. I really only needed one side. I'm not going to take the dash apart again, so it will sit. Left side seems like it will withstand a small army. Solid as a rock. Right side seems to be pretty solid. I'd run a phone there on a short arm, nothing heavier until I confirm it's in there correctly. Thoughts? Install is rough. Tight spaces, big fingers. I'll be honest, I'm not sure that there is anything design-wise that can be done to "fix" it, aside from making the mounting bracket have posts, but I'm not sure the depth is there to make it work. Knowing what I know now, what would I do differently? Install it when there is no pressure. This can not be rushed. You need to take your time. Also, make sure to test fit everything on your kitchen counter before putting it back together to make sure the holes line up. The screws are pretty soft- I messed one up and had to throw it away. The spares that ship with the kit came in handy. The arm to connect won't be in until tomorrow, so I can't position a phone there yet. What questions can I answer?

Lostsheep[OP], Fleabag and Ryanpawns like this.
  8. Apr 14, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
  9. Apr 14, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    summiteer

summiteer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Cedaredge, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Dbl Cab Mag Grey
    None.... yet
    Looks great!

10. Apr 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM
    Lostsheep

Lostsheep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 6spd 4x4 OR
    6112s and 5160 , Dakars , Superbumps x4 , u-bolt flip , All Pro Skids (hacked and raised) , 265/70R17 KO2s, SEMA wheels, couple of machined things here and there

For the win, pick a buddy and I'll get them out to them.

Thanks for the pics, thanks for the heads up on the tape, I definitely was concerned about the backing plates getting knocked off during install. Not saying you did this but make sure to get both screws started before tightening them down as I could imagine torquing one without the other started could cause the plate to spin off of the tape.

Please don't hesitate to make any further suggestions that come to mind, I will do my best to be accommodating. The one thing I know is the more people who install these the more unforeseen problems that will arise.

I hope you're happy with them.

Fleabag, summiteer and DrFunker like this.
  11. Apr 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    Very happy. I think after a few hours of reflection, I needed to wait until tomorrow so there was no pressure.

The big question that everyone is wondering- would I buy again? Yes. Yes I would.

As far as who gets picked, anyone else from nh on the list?

Lostsheep[OP] and Fleabag like this.
  12. Apr 15, 2017 at 2:58 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    Lostsheep[OP] and summiteer like this.
  13. Apr 15, 2017 at 3:28 AM
    PintSize

PintSize Crossthreaded & torqued down

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 2.7L 5 spd RC 4x4
  14. Apr 15, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    Ryanpawns

Ryanpawns Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off-Road

I live in Manchester at the moment. I lived in Concord until about 8 months ago.

15. Apr 15, 2017 at 6:11 AM
    summiteer

summiteer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Cedaredge, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Dbl Cab Mag Grey
    None.... yet
    Thanks Ex-Ma Hole!!! Super excited getting these installed!

Lostsheep[OP] likes this.
  16. Apr 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    Update #4,648,574 I went to go to the dump this AM and my airbag light was on...hmmmm....Either it was coincidence, or that extra wire that I couldn't find a home for ALL THREE TIMES (at least I'm consistent), has something to do with the airbag light being on. I wonder if my flashers work? Nope. Dammit. Bah, I don't ever use my flashers, it'll be fine. Five minutes down the road- I shit you not- dog running around the street. I instinctively hit my flashers and laugh at myself. Dog saved (that's another story for another time), but I come home and rip it apart for the 4th time. I basically at this point have 72 free hours, so the pressure is off. The right inside metal had come off, I was right. Took a bit to find it. Found it, used new tape....

I drilled the holes out bigger this time. That made it so I had wiggle room once back together. Basically, when the back side was in place, I could see a little of the metal all around the holes. That was all I needed. Both went in problem free this time.

I tightened them down slowly- a little top, then a little bottom. They all tightened in this time. Like- tight.

I have not gone for a ride with it yet. All parts came in. I put my phone in and it appears to be rock solid- far more solid at the push/pull test then any other mount that I have ever tested.

17. Apr 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Ex-MA Hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    Sorry man- already picked the next.

18. Apr 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    Tim 2011 DC

Tim 2011 DC Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 4X4
    Please add me to the list for one set.

Thanks!

19. Apr 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Installed.
    I have a Flyzeye too. Was a little tight for anyone wondering.
    Solid product and well thought out.
    Thanks @Lostsheep !
    :hattip:

RacecarGuy likes this.
  20. Apr 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    Sccafire

Sccafire KMG 365

Member:
    Alvarado, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Arrived in the mail today! Thanks again! Will install tomorrow night.

Lostsheep[OP] likes this.
To Top