1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rant: Anyone Else Hate the 5-speed Clutch?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by river rat, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica regular cab.
    Just traded in my '07, 4 cylinder, 5-speed manual for an automatic tranny Tacoma because I couldn't stand the too-short-throw-grabby-harsh clutch action anymore. Loved the truck, otherwise.

I did a search and couldn't find anything exactly complaining about the same issue.

After 3-1/2 years, I still occasionally stalled the bastard in traffic, especially with boots on or on rough roads because I need some pedal travel during engagement in order to modulate it. After more than a dozen manual transmission cars and trucks over the last 26 years, I think this was the worst feeling clutch I ever drove. My opinion. :mad:

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I used to feel that way, but I am used to it now. I have a bad shift occasionally, but for the most part it's pretty smooth. It is hard for me to drive with boots on though, but that's mainly because I have big feet and there's just not a lot of room for size 12 boots down there...I kinda have to poke the clutch with my toes. :)

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Ya. Me too on the toes only and big feet. I thought about trying to lengthen the release arm or a larger bore slave cylinder and all that, but it was a pretty big hassle.
    The tipping point was that my wife hates driving a stickshift anyway, and won't drive it....so I got to do most of the driving if we took it on vacation, and she would never take it to work when I was home so it was hard to me to get her car for a day of maintenance.

Anyway, I like the new truck and no longer have to consciously think about shifting all the time. I hate that. My old VW is second nature it clutches so sweet.

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Dunno. My 5 speeds:

74 Alfa Romeo

88 Ford Mustang GT

90 Mazda Miata

11 Toyota Tacoma

I had a long "automatic only" hiatus between the miata and the tacoma. But the tacoma clutch doesn't strike me as particularly weird.

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    its definately grabby, but i don't get where you get short throw, mine doesnt engage till its almost done traveling upward, all my friends who've driven it say wtf you have a long clutch and they drive cars from old 64 f100's to 05 mustangs and 08 cobalts. i can drive in work boots to riding boots and im a size twelve, its a PITA but it works still

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I CAN drive in boots...I just really have to concentrate hahaha

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    By short throw I mean the distance the pedal travels between engagement and disengagment...not where in the arc it happens. :)

I prefer a bit more travel during engagement = Less grabby so I could modulate the torque while bouncing along. I just never liked that clutch.

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    bigcoffinhunter

bigcoffinhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've found it to be one of the nicer onces I've driven. My first time in a different car I always stall, then once I figure out the engagement, all's well. Every car is a little different.

9. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I love it. It is super solid and smooth. I like it better than the '06 6 speed taco i had a couple years back

10. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Kelson

Kelson My Truck is Cuter than Yours

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    besides the fact that it squeaks occasionally, i think its fine. return could be faster, but hey, its a 4 cyl truck. can't complain.

11. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    i think its grabby but i dont really have complaints. other than squeaking

12. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    I guess most people like it OK.
    With two vehicles with manual trans, Maybe that made it harder to go back and forth.

13. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    Seems to me its more of a low end torque problem. The clutch on mine is very controllable, I just have to remind myself, its a 4 banger, not a V8.

For normal city driving, I have no problems making a low RPM start.

I have also learned how to slip the clutch to get a good launch. If you catch it just right on slipping and fully engaged, its actually pretty impressive how fast they will take off... Although not its not so good for the life of the clutch.

I do find myself slipping the clutch from time to time to get a little more acceleration through intersections and such.

Off road, well you just have to get the RPM up there a little higher than seems comfortable. When taking off up a steep incline, you learn to live by the E-Brake.

14. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Don't know about the 5-speed, but I hate the 6-speed clutch. Though actually between the clutch, the RPM hang and ridiculous throttle response, it's hard to tell what the worst factor is.

15. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    ya i remember that rpm stayin up there for a bit inbetween clutchin. Definitely takes some getting used to

16. Nov 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have an auto in 2 cars and the 5 sped in the truck. I go back and forth between them and have no issue with it other than the noise but even that is outside and not an issue for function. It's not really any different than the one I had in the 82 prerunner that I drove for 27yrs. Slightly different gearbox action but that's to be expected. As you stated tho, the wife laid down the trump card sooo..........

17. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    DOT3

DOT3 Member

Member:
    It's the gearing that makes it a little tricky to get a smooth start. 1st and 2nd gears need to be a little taller. My 1st isn't wound out until 15+ mph. Older toyota trucks had bit more of a granny gear in 1st. Easier to get rolling without much clutch slip. I don't care for second gear either - can't do a rolling start without lugging.

18. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    That's part of it. My VW van has more engagement travel, and a bit lower first gear.
    So smooth people outside the car think it's an auto trans.

Has anyone tried to increase travel on the Taco?

19. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    911-3.2

911-3.2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 2010 Access Cab 4x4 I4 SR5
    Curt Receiver Hitch, Access Literider Tonneau
    I find the clutch in mine to be the least grabby I've driven. I will agree on the foot space though. It is a pita to drive with boots.

20. Nov 30, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    671taco

671taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    twenty-ten rc
    kinda feel the same way. wasnt used to the clutch when i first got it from the dealer. it was kinda grabby, got used to it though but still stall it every now and then. i wanna get a urd short throw, i hate 1st to 2nd shift

To Top