1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Raptor light switch

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CoTacoTy, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:04 PM
    CoTacoTy

CoTacoTy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2017 sr5
    Fellas, i would like to hook the following switch up to my raptor lights...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B36XV36L
    The description says I must use a relay. But doesn't mention what kind or which one. Any idea on how to determine this? Also im not 100% sure of the wiring, but based on the diagram in the description I can figure it out I think....but does anyone have any advice to electrical work of this type? I plan on adding more lighting and switches in the future so im trying to plan like I know what im doing.

Ideally if im daydreaming here I want:
    Ditch lights
    Rock lights
    A light bar up top
    And a few Marty mcfly style pod lights on the front mounted on a bumper. Tbd

How can I plan for these additions one at a time? Starting with these raptor lights and this additional switch...

2. Oct 26, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Most people just wire the Raptors directly into the DRL or Ign2 with an addafuse, are you going to be turning them on/off on their own a lot?

Description says that because those switches are rated for 3 amps, running driving lights through it without a relay would burn out the switch.
    You want a 12v relay - Hella is good but there are a ton of them available.

Long live the wiring diagram.

This diagram uses the low beam as a source for the trigger - lights will only work if the low beams are on like a fog light. You can change that source to the high beam (addafuse in the fuse box) you've got driving lights.

[​IMG]

If you want maximum control you would add this circuit for each set of lights, you may find your dash running out of room for adding switches for everything, there are spod controllers that sort that out.

3. Oct 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    CoTacoTy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2017 sr5
    Thanks for the tips. How do I know if I need a 4 or 5 pin relay? What determines that?

4. Oct 26, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    vicali

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Either will work for what you need, on a 5 pin you would leave 87a empty.
    https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

CoTacoTy[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 26, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    4ast4orward

4ast4orward Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    CoTacoTy[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 27, 2022 at 5:01 PM
    CoTacoTy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2017 sr5
    Ok last question for now, and this might be my missing puzzle piece....

As long as my wire size is correct per ampacity allowances...and I do ohms law and blah blah, as long as my draw is less than the fuse I want to put in, im gangster? If I've got an existing 10a fuse, I can just run whatever lighting I want on that fuse, because the lights won't draw more than say, 5a.
    That makes sense to me. Should I put a smaller fuse in there, closer to the ampacity draw? And will that fuck anything up, by just putting a smaller fuse in there?

In my world, as long as the wire size is correct, you land it on the right size breaker....like 14g wire can only land on a 15a breaker....12g wire, 20a breaker. You can land larger wires on smaller breakers, but not the other way around. So are fuses kind of like breakers in the automotive world?

As an electrician i want to become well rounded here. Ive got a haynes repair manual and have been looking at wiring diagrams n shit like that, just trying to reach out to people smarter than myself so I can learn more about automotive electrical.

I appreciate everything you guys teach me! Links, pics, stories, any tips are appreciated. And shout out to @vicali , that link was super helpful to learn about automotive relays.
    @4ast4orward thanks for the link to that bracket. I see that coming in handy in my near future, that or entire new fuse and relay block holder lol.

vicali likes this.
  7. Oct 27, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    vicali

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Led Raptor light will draw a fraction of an amp, so using an add a fuse with a 5amp fuse is perfect, you could use a 10a even, if it ever shorted out it’s going to blow that in a second.

8. Nov 7, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    NlOffRoad11

NlOffRoad11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRDOR
    I had a 5 pin wired up and it worked for a day, then the next day I go to flick on the bar and the switch isn’t working. Any idea what it could be?

Products Discussed in

To Top