1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Raptors are selling well...will Toyota ever notice?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by ToyoDrew, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Sep 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    So I just ran across this article that tells about how well the Ford Raptor is selling:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/12/ford-f-150-svt-raptor-sales-jump/

I had always felt that Toyota was starting to get the idea when they started making the T|X Baja, but now they seem to be going the wrong way by possibly discontinuing it (according to some rumors). :(

Maybe reports like this will make them think about keeping it around a little longer...at least until they can develop one to really compete with the Raptor using the 3rd gen (and a supercharger!!). :D

One can only hope!

2. Sep 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    slaphappy

slaphappy Mama didn't raise no fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    River Valley
    Vehicle:
    Silver Fresco 2010 FJ Cruiser 4WD
    Are you comparing a full size Raptor to a mid size Baja? :confused:

3. Sep 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    Yes, but I'm really only comparing the ideas behind them...a performance-oriented off-road truck.

With the Tacoma being smaller/lighter, it has to potential to be better than the Raptor (with some exceptions like hauling as much).

4. Sep 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    the payload for the raptor is awful (roughly 500 lbs IIRC), if toyota could keep a payload of ~700 lbs or higher that's a good step right there.
    Plus the size difference, taco is a clear winner if you want to do slightly technical stuff.

5. Sep 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Sure is, and IMHO it isn't a terrible comparo. Toyota could take some of that market, but they just won't. They shy away from the high performance stuff out of the chute, and I am not really sure why. Might be about their ideals of reliability or something like that...

6. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    RAPTOR!

7. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    slaphappy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    River Valley
    Vehicle:
    I gotcha, I figured that's what you meant haha.

The Raptor is a very cool truck. $$$ as hell, but for what you get they're pretty sweet.

8. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    machineman89

machineman89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    overlanding limo in progress :-P
    Weather tech floor mats, fog light any time mod, derped front embelem, Pelfretbilt 3 hoop plate bumper, 10k warn xeon winch-s some leds, pelfreybilt roof rack, scs stealth series rims, wrangler authority tires, BAMF 96" bolt on sliders, BAMF dif skid, some dirt....
  9. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I hope they don't catch on. Then they'll end up selling whatever is popular instead of quality. Like, I don't know, a bro-mobile . . . :)

10. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Its still a Ford

11. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    slaphappy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    River Valley
    Vehicle:
  12. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Be interested to see a Tundra with a ground clearance and an actual off road package.

I'm quite satisfied with TRD Off Road. If only they'd come stock with BFG A/T rather than Rugged Fails.

13. Sep 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    I agree with the BFG A/T stock. Deffinately a better, and better looking tire.

im not sure why toyota went away from them, they were offered for years on pickups and 4runners.

The TRD Off Road is a great package, but they have some drawbacks Toyota has been forgetting about..
    -pussy rear springs (no tsb 12-13)
    -what they call skid plates.. (2013 has platic tank plate)
    -plastic 33 feet long mudflaps
    -BFG rugged trails?
    -same minimal ground clearance as a "sport"

they have done some things that other "off road" trucks dont get
    -atrac
    -locker

I installed the Baja suspension ($1550) and added a leaf and i love it. I was suprised how much better the upgraded shocks are (over trd sport, OR, sr5 and bilstien 5100) And i see no reason why all TRD OR package trucks shouldn't come with the same setup. In the end even if they bumped the OR sticker to offset what would it raise the package price.. $600 at most (i should say what should it raise)

I really wanted the baja truck, even though its way overpriced. But the good folks here lead me to the decision that i can upgrade the OR for $1550

Yes i know there are plenty of aftermarket setups, but they are all aftermarket. For my warranty and because i had driven the baja package a couple times and really liked how it rides etc, i went that way.

The raptor is cool, but its even worse than the Baja tacoma for markup, and 90 % of them probably never leave the road. There are dozens of them around here to be conservative and i have only ever seen 1 at a local wheeling place. one time, and it met an early demise trying to show up an 81 toyota.

I liked the comparison that was done between the raptor, tacoma baja, and power wagon. Although it wasnt entirely apples to apples they highlighted some good points,

The raptor was 17k MORE than the already spendy Baja tacoma, but it has a better thought out overall pile of goodies
    the power wagon is a beast. but its not a toy.
    and some others

If i had raptor money to spend, and current experience i would have bought Sr5 taco DC LB and used the leftover 24k for upgrades.

I was in iraq when the raptor came out and i really thought about buying one, i didnt because its a FORD and im glad now because they are EVERyWHERE and i really would have missed the midsize truck.

14. Sep 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    Heres what you do. Buy the Tacoma you want, not the Baja. Take the money you saved over a raptor and give it to me with your truck. You will have a Raptor killer in all aspects.

15. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Without a warranty unfortunately... :(

That being said, I wouldn't keep it stock so the parts in question wouldn't matter anyway. The interior is nicer anyway :notsure:

16. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.

From what I've read online, the 'warranty' on the Raptors only applies if you don't offroad the truck. Ford has an "Abuse" clause in their warranty disclaimer, which gives them a handy sidestep for bent frames (common), blown shocks, broken engine/transmission mounts, sand-blasted paint, etc.
    I even remember reading a while ago about a guy that brought his truck in for a ridiculously noisy engine, only to have Ford deny his warranty claim based on the three pounds of sand they found in the air filter box.

A quick google search of "Ford Raptor Warranty Denied" will give you a pretty lengthy list of things that aren't covered.

17. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Bet it would ride really nice being able to haul even more weight.

18. Sep 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    What warranty? Ford doesnt have any special warranty on the Raptor. Take it offroad, blow a shock, its on you...

19. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID, MT, ND, I'm a transient
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
    I bought my Baja specifically because it was an alternative to the Raptor. I don't put it in the same category, but it was an off the shelf alternative, that got better than 13 MPG. I drive back and forth from Western MT and SW ID to North Dakota about once a month (I average around 2000 miles a month just for work). I don't do hardcore offroading, but I do spend a LOT of time bombing down semi-tractor trailer beat dirt roads, which were beating me to death in my Duramax. I also have to be able to get where I need to go, quickly, in any weather conditions. So far, the Baja has been great, I am already saving around 15% on fuel over the Duramax, and if I hit a bath tub size pot hole at 60-70, I know the truck will just shake it off. I do miss the power of my Duramax, but I am not sure I'd ever fully exploit the suspension of the Raptor. I also saved the 15k over a well equipped Raptor, and I am the only Baja around, while Raptors are a dime a dozen.

That being said, if I could have gotten a Tacoma with an even longer travel suspension and a factory installed S/C for a few thousand more, I would have probably bit.

baja-with-topper-and-nerf-bars_f964defc60a3c5702f9f3839d37f4aac50c00612.jpg

20. Sep 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:

Although it may not be the majority (which is also true of the Raptor), there is definitely a need such as yours for a Baja that just make sense.

A supercharger would be a great addition for sure!!

Products Discussed in

To Top