1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattle found!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RightYouAreKen, May 11, 2012.

1. May 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    RightYouAreKen

RightYouAreKen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Ever since I bought my truck I've had an annoying rattle/ticking from somewhere on the drivers side around the dashboard. It came and went, seemingly with different temperatures. It was like a hard plastic on plastic type tick, tick, tickity tick. I pushed all over the interior trying to figure it out, and could never pinpoint it. I even removed the stereo and gauge cluster to poke around in the dash to figure it out. Found nothing. Yesterday, I decided it sounded like it was coming from higher up than the dash,so I pressed on the windshield right below the headliner. It stopped! Upon further investigation, there is a piece of body metal that sort of "clips" onto a piece of plastic that is epoxied onto the windshield right above the steering wheel right under the front of the headliner. I guess its to hold the windshield in? Anyway, I found that if I pressed on that piece of metal, the rattle stopped. I wedged a small piece of stiff rubber weather stripping under the metal piece in a gap next to the plastic piece on the windshield. Not enough to bend anything or put much pressure, but just enough to keep it from rattling. Drove around last night and to work today, and the rattle is GONE!

So happy, that thing was just annoying enough to get on my nerves. Hope this helps someone else out.

2. May 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    kill it!

Rattles, squeaks and ghost problems are the spawn of Satan!

3. May 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    XIGUNHAWKIX

XIGUNHAWKIX Just a desert dude.

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Taos, NM
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD Base Project Truck
    Entune touchscreen display, JBL system, blacked out, Icon 2.5 Remote Resis, TC UCA's, 50" LED LightBar. Pelfreybilt bumper.
    ^^^x2! Glad you found it, rattles are worse than an annoying female in the cab! At least you can kick the chick out easily!

To Top