1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattling for bucks

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by hoosiertaco, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    I spooked a small buck the other day when I was rattling. I'm not sure if it was b/c I was so aggressive with it or if it is just a little to early around here. I hope you guys can get out there and get one soon. Getting out in the woods is second priority for me now since I'm having to move due to orders. Oh well. Check out this website http://www.huntingfootage.com . HeyWill... have you got that new Bear bow yet?

2. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    not yet bro!! im gonna wait til after christmas, cause bear is bringing out about 5 new bows, and a few different versions of the truth2 bow, and the price on the done deal will drop accordingly!!:D

3. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    good luck will.........

yeah, the little bucks might come in out of curiosity if they are a little ways away when you rattle, but if they are close, thier probably scared of a butt whooping and will leave the area.

Cool site too.........

4. Nov 19, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    I think that was the case, I just happened to spot him and smack the rattle bag together at the same time. He didn't see me but acted like :eek: @#$%@#

5. Nov 20, 2008 at 6:01 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    You guys suck!!!! i can't hunt till dec 1st!!

6. Nov 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    archery or firearms?

7. Nov 22, 2008 at 3:46 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well I just got back for a brief stay before heading down south.
    What a messed up season!!:mad: Rain opening day, and alot of damage from the days before. But I did rattle a nice one in for a friend. I will post pic's as soon as the gear is unloaded.
    But I did get my buck and 3 bald heads :)

8. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well this season so far has shown itself to be some what odd, first off opening morning saw me sitting in an area totally confused. The day before a wind storm blew more trees down and left my spot a mess.
    Deer route's were shot, and by the looks of movement they relocated their trail some 30 yards in a cedar thicket. All's I seen was legs, so I held out for the evening with just a lone doe.
    The property beside me sounded as if a war had started so I left and went to another location.
    Now I am not a head hunter, I look for mass not points. I believe in weeding out older deer with low head gear, odd balls with bad gene's, and I WILL use my tag to take a wounded buck. To me it is all about hunting and being in what God created.
    Below is the mass on one buck, now I have some what large hands, and with the cedars this buck was rubbings, he had all the room to talk.
    [​IMG]

9. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    This was a joy to drag out, around 100 yards for two of us. The hind legs had to be bent clear up to get the tail gate closed.
    [​IMG]

10. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:28 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I have no pic's of the whole thing, but you tacoma owners can guess the horns/size by looking at the tail gate.
    [​IMG]

11. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Their was also a odd ball buck taken from the property, around 3 1/2 years old. Low mass and head gear, but heavy in weight, 208 dressed. The horns were more flat, instead of round, low points 3 or 4 but had what I call a "hole in the horn" and also a large acorn developing. I still need to get pic's of this.
    Bad news is I tore my scent blocked outfit, from knee area all the way to the shoulder. :mad: Hung barbed wire will do that, but I got 5 great years out of it, and I will get another set before muzzleloader.

12. Nov 22, 2008 at 6:34 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Rifle then Muzzle loader and late archery...

13. Nov 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    good job on that buck, Bill!!!

well....went yesterday.......screwed up and missed a friggin nice doe. it was my fault.....i was impatient, so i seen her coming, threw up the gun....didnt center the scope or nothin, then fired. she laughed and ran off.

then...i went to bass pro last night to get some stuff to supposedly keep ya warm.....boot insulators, base layer extreme cold weather pants, and a pair of fleece pants..............went this am...16 degrees when the sun came up. i damn near froze my ass off fellas. what i bought didnt even begin to work..and my eye lashes where my eyes watered a bit were frozen. i stayed from 6am to 12:45pm, but then i was outta there..........and to top off the cold ass morning...didnt see a deer at all. hopefully..next week will be better!

14. Nov 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    HA HA I know that's not funny, but "been their done that". It was 18 when I went out, and got up to about 40, but then took a nose drive. Fun part was sitting when it started snowing.
    I stayed pretty warm, I did the some what layer idea, but that new stuff makes me itch.
    My core got cold 2 nights ago and it took me forever to warm back up. Lets just hope no one gets sick out the whole thing.

15. Nov 22, 2008 at 12:53 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    Nice harvest there longbow........congrats! Sure was miserable the opening morning, and finding the downed trees in your spot sure didn't help matters I'd say..........you made the most of it though. Great job!!:D

sending up prayers for safe travel for ya...........

16. Nov 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I need to post a pic of this real odd ball rack, as soon as I see it again. Really weird, flat horns with a large acorn starting, plus a massive hole in the horn. Stunk to high heaven too.

17. Nov 22, 2008 at 2:50 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    OH ya forgot to add all the fun stuff afterwards.
    Blood on the seat, 4 nice scratchs down the side (will buff out), muddy as all get out. My silver tape were I removed the front flaps tore due to limbs, mark on the full length of my new TRD White Tail sticker and best of all $14 in quaters to pressure wash the blood out of the back.
    Still didn't get it all....................but fun :D

Still looking :pray:

18. Nov 22, 2008 at 2:53 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    you called it on needing an extra set of decals.........just have sock send you a set each year to install after season....lol:D

19. Nov 22, 2008 at 2:58 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    HA...had to hide the second set from the wife.
    Next year I am going to make the trails a little wider, harder than heck trying to back up with the mirrors folded :eek:

20. Nov 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    bill and ben.......my buddy shot a 150lb doe this evening!!!:eek: friggin nice doe too. he sent me a pic on my cell phone, but you cant really see anything cause it was pretty dark when he took the pic. good eatin there for sure!!

its stayed pretty damn cold all day today.....so me thinks i will head out again in the am and see what i see. it aint gonna be as cold as it was this am though.....and im kinda glad too, as we have alot of cloud cover now. hopefully...they'll be moving, and i can come back to this thread with a good story!!:)

by the way.....canuckinsc(jon) gave me his double bull blind!!! nice blind too..................but i fought the sumbitch for 3 hours trying to set it up......and it was windy as hell and pissing me off......this was friday after i missed that doe too:(. finally got the blind set up.......kinda jerry-rigged, but it will suffice.(a part of the blind was turned the complete wrong way, and finally got it opened...and the sides wouldnt stay out.........so i tied camo rope to the inside cams and tied the rope to different trees:D...................sometimes....you just gotta wing it!!

if any of ya'll head out tomorrow...stay warm and hope ya get a big one!! by the way......by someones graciousness..................i have what i believe to be sockmonkeys whitetail decals on the way to me!!! i owe someone a big ol thanks for that!:)

Products Discussed in

To Top