1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RCI Slider Shop Install Issue

Discussion in 'Armor' started by DVJ TRD, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Sep 13, 2021 at 9:03 PM
    DVJ TRD

DVJ TRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Voodoo Blue
    Retrax Pro XR with Tepui Tent
    This is a what would you do next post...

Last year I took my new Tacoma TRD Pro to a local shop (Stellar Built in Sacramento) to have powder coated RCI sliders installed. I noted the passenger slider wasn't totally level at the time, but I let it go at the time because I had to go back to work.

When I finally was under the car looking at the install it was clear that it were significant problems, for example:
    1)The passenger slider had 7 RCI supplied bolts (not counting the front crossmember bracket) and the driver side had 1 RCI supplied bolt and 1 random cap screw from the shop parts bucket.
    2)3 of the 7 RCI supplied 7/16 in blots were placed through the slider and screwed into frame holes that were smaller than the screw. This removed the powder coat of the enlarged frame holes, and because also cored out slider holes because the angle wasn't straight, so now there is some rust on this portion of the passenger slider.

I removed the three inappropriately screwed bolts, which are now mildly stripped and contacted the shop. I was told by one person that installer probably thought more bolts were better, and that was the shops practice, although he admitted that usually they use bolts that fit in frame holes they are targeting. I'm not sure I buy that argument and can't understand why they wouldn't follow the manufacturers instructions, as well as my clear instruction not to bolt or drill into the chassis.

So the question is what to do now.
    1)Remove the sliders, wire brush any rust on the frame and slider, and repaint where needed.
    2)Leave the sliders on and simply repaint where needed and make sure appropriate bolts are where they should be.
    3)Demand the shop do #1, take it to another shop or simply do it myself. I don't have much free time to do projects anymore, which is why I used a shop in the first place, much to my regret.

RCI recommended that I take the sliders off, inspect and repaint.

Let me know your thoughts...Thanks

2. Sep 13, 2021 at 9:08 PM
    a2lowvw

a2lowvw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bothell, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Limited
    Stuff and things
    “RCI recommended that I take the sliders off, inspect and repaint. ”

:sorry: this. You will likely do a better job than a shop.

3. Oct 4, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    RCI-Offroad

RCI-Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    RCI Full Skids and Sliders, Icon Stage 7 Lift, 315-70-16 Cooper STT Pros, RCI Front Bumper, RCI Rear Bumper, Come-up 9k winch, Rigid 30" bar, back-up lights, ditch lights, fogs, ARB front locker, RCI 18" adjustable bed rack, Cascadia RTT, ARB Fridge, ARB twin compressor, Switch-Pros power, Off-grid 4x4 dual battery system
    Hey there!

Did you have any trouble with getting this issue resolved? Anything we can do to support?

Hope to hear back soon!

sbx22 and TheCubicleDaydreamer like this.
  4. Oct 20, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    sbx22

sbx22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD DCSB OR 4x4
    Off topic a bit but Stellar did my cmc and didn't paint the inside of the remaining cab mount. Rust is starting to form. Not sure if this is common practice but a coat of paint would have been enough or knowing they at least tried to prevent rust.

Products Discussed in

To Top