1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Re-painting painted badges???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, May 17, 2009.

1. May 17, 2009 at 11:31 PM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I painted one of my badges (the V6 Emblem) just to test and see how it looked. I used the fusion satin color and it looks very good and is showing no problems when put back on the truck. I plan to use the same method and do the ramainder of my badges however here is my problem....

I like the satin however I really believe the gloss black would look better on my gray truck. I have removed the freshly painted V6 badge and now bought some fusion in gloss black. Prior to replacing the satin black badge I used a light coat of clearcoat and let it dry 24 hours before replacing. Now I do not wish to have one satin black badge with the rest of them gloss so is it possible to simply spray the gloss on top of the satin with clearcoat?

Should I spray the satin badge with the adhesion promoter and then add a coat of gloss black?.....If it is not possible to cover over this satin black with gloss I will simply go ahead and change all my others to the satin. I really do like the gloss black much better now and am hoping for an easy answer. Thanks for any help.

2. May 17, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    I would just lightly sand and repaint

3. May 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Ok I removed the painted badge ,lightly scuffed it with steel wool, washed it with a toothbrush and let it dry. I have just put on the first few coats of the new gloss black and it looks very nice. I think it will be fine and I am off to try the other remaining badges.

On a side note after using the steel wool and washing I must say this fusion paint is pretty damn good for a rattle can. I really took my time when painting the badge the first time and must have put on 10 fine misting coats after the adhesion promoter. Gradually increased the coverage until nice and smooth with no runs or finger prints.

If done correctly this stuff holds up pretty well as after scuffing and washing the freshly painted badge it still looked pretty good and showed no chipping. It seems as if it should wear well and once applied washing the truck,along with daily driving, should be just fine.

4. May 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Ok I will say my original thoughts on this were wrong....I did take my time and used many light coats with hours of dry time between. I was trying to remove the emblem (SR5) close to the V6 emblem I had already painted and my grip slipped. yep you guessed it I hit the painted emblem with a ring I was wearing.

It was actually a good thing as I scratched it and decided to remove it and touch it up. Now this was after over 24 hours of drying so I figured it would be fine to lightly scuff it and re-paint. Just for kicks I tried to scratch some paint off with my fingernail and to my suprise it came off pretty easily. I actually scratched all the paint off using just my fingernail. This was done after using the adhesion promoter and as mentioned several light coats of fusion paint done correctly.

When it was all over with I was able to actually get the emblem back to its original chrome look as if it were never painted. I decided to lightly sand the entire emblem and then used the adhesion promoter and again several light coats of paint. It is drying overnight now and I hope the sanding will help it stick better.

My point with all this was to say there may be others here who think their badges are doing well after being painted however my experience was that the adhesion promoter did nothing to help the paint stick to the unsanded badges. The factory chrome look seems to be very slick and it really did not suprise me that the paint was removed so easily. This will be the 3rd time I have redone this one badge and after tomorrow I will decide if I am doing the others. If the sanding helped I will go ahead with the others and if not I will just de-badge the whole truck.

Has anyone else really tested their painted badges just to see how good this paint really sticks? Just hoping mine was an isolated incident or user error.

5. May 19, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Well, I haven't had the gonads to "test" mine. But I did sand mine, so hopefully that will add to the paint adhesion. :cool:

6. May 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I was really hoping it would really be just as easy as it looks however after actually testing mine the paint was easily scraped off. I believe it should be ok without sanding however this would be for mild daily driving. I feel it would also hold up to hand washing however a powerful enough jet of water could probably strip the paint. I am sure playing around in the woods would probably not hold up well if you were driving through heavy underbrush and stuff.

The fusion is made for plastic, as it stated on my can, however the finish of these emblems is really very slick and probably not much like the plastic this paint is designed for. Again time will tell as I am still only driving with this one emblem painted just to test it for a few days. Regardless if I do paint my others I am sure I will sand them lightly in addition to using the adhesion promoter.

Products Discussed in

To Top