1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Re-use U Bolts?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jmjones, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sep 23, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    jmjones

jmjones [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco 4X4
    I have a 95 taco with some busted leaf springs. I am replacing them with an OE type replacement with an Add-A-Leaf for extra strength.

Is it possible to use the existing U-bolts? Are they going to be long enough? If I do need to replace them - what are the size constraints?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    jmjones

jmjones [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco 4X4
    I assume that I would need to buy U-bolts that are specific to the axle diameter. Anyone know off hand what that might be? Also, for length - any ideas with just one aal added?

Is this a part that any parts store should carry - or is it something to get from suspension parts suppliers (online)?

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I wouldn't re use u-bolts when using a different leaf pack in most cases because they get thread stretch/actual bolt stretch..so when you torque them again..it causes the metal to deform and weaken...chance of them breaking while out on the road/trail.

That's my opinion.

4. Sep 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2003 4WD DC Tacoma
    do you need to replace u bolts when adding a leaf?

5. Sep 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    If its not long enough, then yes but i'd replace em anyway..cheap insurance. I know people whos rear end fell out of there truck because of them.

6. Sep 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    ALawrence

ALawrence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    ALWAYS replace the U bolts.

7. Sep 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2003 4WD DC Tacoma
  8. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    Yeah ^ or hit up Brian @ streetacos.com....he has some badass u bolt.

9. Sep 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    You can reuse them if you want. Nothing wrong with doing that.

I took my dads 2nd gen ones. They are longer and newer. But he also lifted his truck in the first 10k

10. Sep 27, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    jmjones

jmjones [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco 4X4
    Thanks for all the replies. I took the majority consensus and replaced the U-Bolts. The truck has 188,888 miles on it (Just turned today!). I figured why risk losing the rear end over $40.

I had already been waiting 5 days for my springs to arrive, so I went local and had the U-Bolts made for me.

It was a place called AAA springs in Salt Lake City, UT. I called and told them the year and model (95 Taco) and that I was adding one add a leaf, and they made them while I waited in their office. The nuts they sold me were freaking solid as well. The U-Bolts went on without a hitch. I really doubt I would ever have a failure with my new spring setup.

The springs I bought were 3 leaf, and my stock ones only had two. I added the add a leaf, and as I had feared (hoped) - the rear end sits up a couple of inches too high. Looks like it is time to level out the front end.

Any suggestions? I am not a hardcore off roader by any stretch - I have a four wheeler for that kind of stuff (Honda Rancher). I do take the truck down the occasional trail up here in Utah. I live in Heber City (close to Park City), and we have tons of "rough gravel road" type trails that can get pretty rocky. I was thinking of a "puck" I believe it was called.

11. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    If by puck you mean spacer lift for the front coils, IMO, I would avoid them. If I were you I would get a set of Bilstein 5100's for the front and set it on a lift position. (or spend a little bit more money and get coils from OME).

A spacer in the front will make your truck ride like crap on and off-road, and will prematurely wear your front coils. But...if you are on a budget and dont want to spend much, and dont mind a rough ride, then get a spacer lift.

But a set of bilstein 5100's for the front will only run you around $170, and will improve your current ride.

12. Sep 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
To Top