1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ReadyLift questions??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Robocop, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    Well after purchasing new General Grabbers I really noticed the uneven stance of my 09 access cab 4X4. The drivers side front is 35 inches while the rear is 37-1/2....passenger side front is 35-1/2 while the rear is 38 from top of the wheel opening to the ground....right at 2-1/2 difference on both sides.

The only local place I found stocks the readylift brand and quoted me 450 dollars out the door for a leveling kit including the diff drop all installed...he said it was a simple spacer mount system.

The same shop gave me a similiar quote for Bilstiens front and rear at about 480 dollars installed. I had the rear TSB several months back and this made my rear even higher so I really want to level this truck.

Searched all over here and found Toytec and a few others but not much information on ReadyLift. I am leaning towards the 5100s as I can have a lift with these and also a little better ride...do you still need the diff drop if using the 5100s to achieve lift?

So basically around 450 dollars to get me level with a local shop install. I am asking advice here as I know nothing of lifting and after reading the sticky on this section still know very little. I may be better off purchasing the shocks from DownSouth Motors and paying for install locally. If not then I would pay the shop for a 450 dollar install if it is indeed worth it and if ReadyLift is decent.

The shop I spoke with was Sport Trucks and is maybe 45 miles from me....they claim a 3 hour install and also said I probably would not need an align after???

Gentleman thanks for your help and any suggestions are welcome other than the one I am considering. I do get in the woods at times however nothing hard core other than fishing and camping. I really dont need much just looking for a better "look" than this nose down stuff I have now.

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    just get bilstein 5100s, the adjustable shocks. you can get them for 300 and adjust the front to full 2.5" and it should level you out. you could prolly find someone in alabama to help you install them for a pack of brewskies haha. spacers are bad.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I have read hundreds of posts trying to figure out just what would be good for me and the Bilstiens keep popping up on every other thread. They do seem to be popular however what makes me curious is why do some choose other similiar in cost methods such as a spacer lift when the Bilstien does all that with a better ride??

Seems like the Bilstiens would make all other leveling methods obsolete yet I also read where many choose that method.

I am sure I could find someone to install for me however for a simple no hassle process I would not mind paying for an install. I have plenty of tools and once was active in the muscle car scene so I am ok with mechanic work.....however I have horrible luck and with my only daily driver will gladly pay someone for their time.

The shop employee I spoke with today really seemed to want me to use the ReadyLift kit rather than the Bilstiens. He said something about having to rebuild the entire strut assembly if I used 5100s and said it was costly to swap all the stuff out.

So I can go with the Kit that comes with the diff drop or go with the 5100s and do I still need to install a drop if using the 5100s? If I do need the drop then that added cost will make both options about the exact same....if installed at the shop I spoke with today.

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 2:40 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    The bilstein will require more labor to install and will be stiff at the 2.5" setting. The readylift spacer is a breeze to install, you could do it yourself. It also maintains your factory ride. Also you will most likely need to get new uca's with both of these. Diff. Drop is not needed!

5. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Well after many more hours of searching I have discovered much about options....and with everything in life the more you pay the better the end result.

I am now looking at OME springs and coil over kits for several hundred more dollars. As a pretty new member I read so much on the Bilstiens I kind of got caught up in the frenzy.....they seemed to be the perfect addition for so many people. Then I found stock springs kind of suck and learned all kinds of stuff about matching the springs to the shocks.....holy smoke my little brain is frazzled.

I am not really sure if a stiffer ride would really bother me that much as I probably would like it more. I did get concerned when I read that many say the truck wanders at highway speeds and some have issues with alignment......I really just want my truck level with a little better stance to compliment my new tires.

After all is said and done and after hours of research I am leaning towards the OME suspension kit for $699.99 with the 884s. I really did not want to spend that much as I also have to figure in installation after the kit is purchased.

I was planning on walking away this weekend with a level truck for 450 dollars total parts and labor.....I love my truck however now see if you want to do things correct the first time it will cost you to have that little extra peace of mind.

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    You will still need uca's with the ome kit. However that is a really good kit. I have it. I have also had the readylift leveling kit. The 884's will probably make your truck level if you have that much rake. You will probably get between 2 and 2.5" of lift with those coils. So you might not need the aal? And I wouldn't worry about the diff. Drop. You won't need it for 2" of lift.

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008, Black sand pearl, SR5, 4X4
    PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with Hella Black Magics, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.
    if you go with 885 will be pretty close to level. I had them on my truck with stock rear 4 leaf leaf pack no top plate spacer or anything. Don't need upper control arms alignment is good.

8. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    Not OEM.
    That's not a bad price for the Ready-lift installed. The differential drop comes with it. Make sure that includes the alignment. I like my Ready-lift, but I don't really do any off-roading like alot of TW guys/girls do. If you plan to, I'd definitely go with the suspension kit you're looking at. If it's only for level, save yourself the money. IMO. I went with it because they guarantee a stock ride, and they were correct. I didn't get the TSB, so I had to get rear blocks too to level it out. Also sent you a pm, whenever you get a chance. Thanks.

9. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    The price quote did not include alignment as the shop employee said it would most likely not need an alignment after??? Strange thing is after I called a few hours later I spoke to another employee to see if the diff drop was included. This employee said the drop was included however said I would need an alignment after.

Two different stories from two different employees simply confused me more. So bottom line is the cost does not include alignment and I put the install on hold until I could figure out the best option for my uses. There is alot of very nice stuff out there and some very nice trucks owned by the people here. I really do not wish to be as hard core as many here however I do like the look of a level truck.

10. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    If you got the cash go ahead and get the ome setup. those readylift spacers are way overpriced. I had it and used it for a little while but was never really happy with it. So i got the ome setup and couldnt be happier!

To Top