1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Realistically, when do you think you can retire?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by aficianado, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    well, i'm at my first job that's not working for myself. so i'm putting in my time till i can get enough experience to get higher pay.

best part of my job is the title i suppose, having 10 direct reports gives that managerial experience too.

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 4, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    beriman10

beriman10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Omar
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Fox 2.5 Suspension 2 in Lift

with interest rates on home loans reaching mid 3s, there is little to almost no incentive to pay off a mortgage quicker. With the average rate of return being significantly higher with investment properties and the market (S&P 500) it may be significantly more advantagous to invest while having a mortgage on your primary residence.

Albeit, some prefer the "low risk" life style but considering your age, you'd be hard pressed to not to invest as early as possible.

The whole principle of paying your mortgage down faster was pushed by our previous generation due to the extremely high interest rates (above 10%) back then.

3. Feb 4, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Interest rates are close to 5%. Its nowhere near 3.5%

Either way what you are saying only makes sense when you don’t consider risk.
    I’m investing in my retirement at an amount more than sufficient for me to retire. To me it makes no sense to put more in and not just get rid of the house payment.

Taking 30 years to pay off a house results in the loss of over $122,000. I’ve got better use for that money than to just hand it over to a bank.

I want as much of my income as possible so I want as few payments as possible.

Plus with no house payment thats more money you can be investing. You’ll grow weath quicker without a house payment.

4. Feb 4, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    The most common mortgage is the 30 yr *fixed* rate. Anyone who is still in the same house they were in around 2016 or earlier either has or had the opportunity at a 3.5% fixed rate mortgage.

ARMs of course a completely different story, and personally I think ARMs are more sensible for the average younger buyer who is likely to relocate in less than 10 years. But 30 year fixed is the default still. So indeed for lots and lots of people the interest rate to compare to is 3.5% regardless of what the rate is right now for a new mortgage.

Paying off faster than 30 years at the expense of not filling up tax advantaged accounts first is in itself a rather large opportunity cost as well. Not to mention that if you have a longer term investment horizon the comparable rate of return of your tax advantaged retirement account is higher than 6%. This is why most people pay the minimum on the mortgage and maximize tax sheltered equity investing in the early part of their life.

As to risk also consider a real risk out there is significant unexpected inflation. An unpaid mortgage is a very significant inflation hedge so continuing to hold that fixed rate debt actually hedges one kind of risk.

Not paying down the house is also providing more money you can invest...

There really isn't a clear cut "correct" answer. It is as you said down to risk. But there is more than one kind of risk out there. If you truly wanted to minimize risk of loss you'd invest only in TIPS or short term nominal treasuries. Sadly for most people if they did that they'd hit a different risk - never having their investment grow enough to retire securely.

In general though the standard accepted wisdom is to maximize savings in all tax deferred retirement accounts before paying down the mortgage more. Given the typical investment returns, tax laws and mortgages available to US consumers that is usually the best balance. Individual circumstances can of course differ.

Personally I paid off my mortgage very early, but I was also already maximizing all tax deferred retirement accounts and keep all those investment accounts heavily tilted towards equities. For most folks I wouldn't recommend paying down the mortgage early unless they've maximized IRA and 401k contributions first.

beriman10, maxpower29 and Boyk1182 like this.
  5. Feb 4, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Clymber

Clymber Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    The day after my wife dies

6. Feb 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    True about the paying it down. However, it all depends on one's situation.

I really have to pay mine down faster. Reason being, my wife and I are older. I know @PackCon is younger than my 45 and her 57, but I want that thing gone ASAP so she can retire and we can live here off my income until we relocate.

beriman10[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2019 at 10:32 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    As I read (and responded) in this thread, I feel a big question is what are you going to do after you retire? Will you be able to afford a life of golfing, fishing, skiing, hunting, hobbying, and basically spending every day? I qualified to retire 3 years ago with a full 60% pension and 12 years of paid up insurance. Just recently an debt free on EVERYTHING. My issue is what am I going to do with myself. Every year I work I get another 2% of my highest 3 years defined benefit pension. That's a motivation to stay. I'm sitting at 66% right now. I could live just fine but won't have the money to play and hobby every day. I am involved in volunteer work with troubled youth which I can probable do a lot more. Retirement rarely is keeping your same standard of spending or more.

PackCon likes this.
  8. Feb 4, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Why not relocate and you both work at the new place then pay off that home?

I wish you luck with it.
    I think its fun paying down the house. I’ve got a spreadsheet on the fridge and I cross off values and I get to them.
    It keeps me motivated.

9. Feb 4, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    This is an interesting discussion. It just goes to show how different the retirement needs are. If you're putting anything away your doing better then then about 40% of Americans which is pretty sad. I'll be done at 62 and have no desire to continue with my current occupation afterwards for something to do.

michael roberts and PackCon like this.
  10. Feb 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    I got all that with little risk also though. One of my rental properties pays my mortgage and the company I bought pays my truck payment. All about how you spend it. Buying a ferrari and travelling isn't just materials if it's a dream of mine. I'm just saying don't plan on settling, always go further. This whole "risk" thing is something created to scare people from actually learning how the world of money works IMO

beriman10 likes this.
  11. Feb 4, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Take this as a learning situation because I at one point thought the same way but it's not a very good idea to pay the mortgage off. Read what the other guy says below. He has good points

cleats50 likes this.
  12. Feb 4, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    I've had this talk several times, I like Ferrari, but would rather have a 911.

Anyways that's not what i'm talking about, I don't want the awesome car for looks, I want the awesome car because I grew up playing Gran Turismo and Forza. I'm not materialistic, I have a 17 truck and still drive an 05 jetta to get 40+ mpgs.

maxpower29[QUOTED] and beriman10 like this.
  13. Feb 4, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    rmorse

rmorse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Bowie, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic Access Cab TRD Sport
    I’m paying off my rental mortgage as quick as I can but I’m going to ride my main house mortgage out.

maxpower29[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    whitedlite

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    is the tax break that good for a mortgage that is your homestead?

15. Feb 4, 2019 at 2:34 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    My parents are still living in MA as well, and I can't leave them as they're in their 70s. I've tried to get them to move and no luck

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 4, 2019 at 2:39 PM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I agree. Gotta stick with Family,

17. Feb 4, 2019 at 7:51 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    At this point I may be retired by April and that’s actually 1 year longer than my goal. This fall I’ll have 29 years with this employer and luckily I opted to buy 5 additional years of service time when it was offered. I highly doubt I’ll make it until then so I’ll have just shy of 34 years in the system. They do the year in 1/10ths so I may get there but not sure when the year ends. Unfortunately My bosses boss retired this last year and the position hasn’t been filled yet. Things have gone to shit since he’s been gone. All of the managers that reported to him are acting like dogs off the leash and showing exactly why they don’t belong in those positions. I guess the timing is right for me. A friend of mine wants me to do some part time consulting work for him and the pay is too good to turn down. My wife is actually thrilled for me to be retired even though she’s got another 10 years to go. Teachers pension isn’t as good as mine unfortunately.

NMBruce likes this.
  18. Feb 4, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Slashaar

Slashaar Trail Limo Supreme & Certified Hole Massager

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-Sport DC LB
    Coastal HC Front, 6112s+650lb King Coils, JD 62 Swap + 14" Fox 2.0s
    I'm grandfathered in by union contract to my pension. I'm a union steward so I know what I'm getting. I'll be fighting for more in the future.
    I'm 27. I only have a little extra scrap after the bills are paid, and because of my wife's condition she doesn't work. So I gotta get by for now till I can free up more income I'm already putting in I think 12%.

19. Feb 4, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    3557 days, 4 hours and 1 minute.

Slashaar likes this.
  20. Feb 4, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Live in: An Ocean of Plastic Trash
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    ICON8 Lift -285s. upTOPoverland rack.
    Now...
    F12EB292-3025-4872-A429-E23F22E27B4A.jpg

Never...
    93575C5F-67B4-4988-A65B-0152A913DE15.jpg

maxtherat, whitedlite and Slashaar like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top