1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Realistically, when do you think you can retire?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by aficianado, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Jul 25, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Recently we learned our pensions are being frozen starting next year..we'll still get the interest but no more of the company adding more $$. We don't have the ability to pay into it ourselves. They did at least increase the % they add to the 401K to make up for it.

No real surprise, both with current state of the world plus that pensions aren't something important to the college crowd just starting their career.

2. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    Speedbird

Speedbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Couch
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-OR
    Welcome to the [*#@!]'d by your company club! Thing is they don't GAF. You are just a number. They did the math and the chances of you or your colleagues leaving or going to a competitor over this aren't enough for then to stick to the terms and conditions conveyed to you when you started.

PS: How about your unused sick time? One thing we HAD: we could actually retire up to 6 months early with accumulated unused sick time (So much for that 1,900+ hours)

3. Nov 21, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    That's funny..the sick time thing. About 7 years ago they started capping us at 3 weeks worth to have at one time. We can earn 8 days a year.

In other words, someone like me that takes 1-2 days a year being ill basically gets hosed out of earning the other days while someone who calls in and goes to the beach or something using all their days will get to use them as extra vacation days basically.

koditten and Speedbird[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:00 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
  5. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:08 AM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    I'm in IT and goal is 58.5 or 59 to retire. I started late too...I have 14 year young daughter and a 11 year young son. 51 in March so retirement time is inching closer. Already working out something with my employer that would allow me to continue part time after I retire. I can work anywhere with an internet connection. So I'll travel, fish/hunt and work a little to keep my brain functioning.

koditten likes this.
  6. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:23 AM
    misterkay

misterkay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    2002 & 2016 Tacoma Double Cab 2.7 Prerunner
    I can retire at 50 with a government pension and 401k. Will likely do that and work a part time for hobby/travel money.

davidstacoma likes this.
  7. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:35 AM
    texas angler

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    Enjoy sir!!

koditten[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:39 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    It was kick in the knackers when they froze our pensions, fortunately I saw the writing on the wall 25 years ago. I took control of my retirement at that time. (basically stay away from debt and not fall into the McMansion mentality that many seem to dive into. It's just a house.

Never purchased any big ticket items new and spent reasonably and found a hobby that makes me WAM (walking around money).
    I don't feel I sacrificed enjoying life to save money. According to some of the payment poor coworkers, they may disagree. I dunno? I'm 53 and they are gonna have to keep working another 10 years. I'm not sure who really comes out ahead. They did more stuff while younger and have the energy. I get to do that stuff now with a few, constant aches and groans.

davidstacoma and texas angler like this.
  9. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM
    KentuckyDoug

KentuckyDoug Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport 4x4
    None
    55.... which is 9 years from now. Thankfully, my Pensions (two sources) are pretty significant. I won’t be getting rich, but when I retire my net income will be the same as when working. Plus I have a 401 k I’ve been paying into for a long time. With no kids to put through college and relatively little debt it should be a nice retirement.
    While I may work some in retirement, if I do it will just be something to do and on my own terms.

davidstacoma and koditten like this.
  10. Nov 22, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    texas angler

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    TMI here....but your first paragraph and McMansions is one of many reasons that hindered my ability to continue with my marriage. She wanted the 2K a month payment in a lot/block city setting and the "image" of having our shat together. I have my land and a simple home that will be paid for in 5 years...been in this spot for 25 years. Handing it to my kids at 65 so they can have something. Then I move way, way, very far out into the boonies. Close enough to an area with good healthcare but still way out in the country away from people. Latter comment may be a pipe dream but it's a goal.

I ride enduro. So completely hear you on aches and pains! But it keeps me young...ish. :)

11. Nov 22, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    I thought such a place was a mythical place populated with leprechauns, dragons, Sasquatches and the like :D

12. Nov 22, 2020 at 6:29 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    11 days!! Too funny we are so close.

13. Nov 22, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much anywhere I look hasn't offered pensions in a while, except union jobs perhaps so it's not a shock to me that it's happening.

I have the "just a house" as well, bought what I could afford versus what I wanted. Put a ton of money in over time, eventually I'd like to move south and pay cash for a house..a little bigger garage and inground pool is my only real indulgences.

I guess re the doing things it really depends what you want. Some people love to travel. My parents always wanted to and never did, now with Mom on dialysis it isn't really an option.

I'm very blessed in that my wife is very thrifty and good with money. I suck at it but I'm working on improving. I could go to less concerts for instance..but we're on track to own our house in 8 years because we aggressively pay the mortgage. I have a second job that takes care of the car payment (200-300 a month) and we purposely plan to not have 2 loans at the same time.

koditten[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 22, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '21 ORDC Cement
    Sixteen years ago at age 59. Two phrases that should never be said in the same sentence--"60 years of age" and "middle school teacher". Still miss the kids, coaching, some of the adults, but grading papers--not at all.

15. Nov 22, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Yikes!

Thank you for your service. All those hormones floating around. Thanks, but no. I can't think of a job that is more underpaid.

16. Nov 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Due to the current state of affairs and our economy as up and down the way it is, I can't see anyone's pensions being paid out as they are deserved to them. I've heard of many pensions being scammed from right out under folks after 20+ years of workforce loyalty to a company, which is in no way fair. If our government is broke as a joke, what hope does that leave for any other US based company?

At the brisk age of 31, I cannot foresee any sort of retirement at any point in my life while living in this nation.

This post is not intended to be a smartass one or even sarcastic. Just my general observation of the world (and by world, I mean the US) at this point in my life.

17. Nov 22, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    SS is essentially empty.

401K is in the same.

Other investments are following suit.

I've adjusted my retirement expectations to a body bag being toted out of the office.

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  18. Nov 22, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    I was thinking the first line about SS 40 years ago. But I can start now, and get around $1X00 month. Over $2X00 or so if I wait a few years.

I put my 401K is max drive. That account and my rolloover accounts, doing just fine. That is how I am retiring, basically.

But I also have a few businesses I run, that I started 12-20 years back - just in case. I am not getting rich from these, but they do just fine. I can buy mods and toys with the money. Plus it helps save more money.

I also will get a small pension of about $500 month, that I sort of forgot about.

My point is - don't be pessimistic. Work hard, pay yourself first (meaning - always save at LEAST 20% of every dime that comes in!!!)

koditten, davidstacoma and usmc2msu like this.
  19. Nov 22, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    usmc2msu

usmc2msu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    If SS is gone in the near future, the country is toast. I don’t know what that will look like, but it won’t be good. We all know the vast majority of Americans are living off SS and SS disability. Take that away and the US will be a third world country in short order. That gives me some (very small) hope that those in power, that want to remain in power, know they have to shore up the shortfall soon.

I’ve always said that if they take away SS, I’m not paying another cent of federal tax until I make back the money I paid in. It’s a win win really. I either pay no taxes for a long time or they put me in prison and pay my room and board.

Hobbs, 12TRDTacoma and davidstacoma like this.
  20. Nov 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    When the LOML and I planned our retirement funds. We set everything up to NOT include SS. We did this in 1991. Set up multiple accounts, funds, investments. Any time I leave a company, the 401K gets pulled out to roll into one of our plans. I always bury the % to get the maximum of company matching in the retirement plans.

We'll have money. But I still expect my retirement will be a body bag and LOML will have all the nest egg.

Pablo8 and davidstacoma like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top