1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Realistically, when do you think you can retire?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by aficianado, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    Xtremsiege2

Xtremsiege2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norwalk CT
    Vehicle:
    21' LR Pro. Lots of fast bikes
    I'm never retiring, but like most I would like a part time job doing something meaningful and relatively stress free. I used to volunteer up in Maine and in the local city building houses, if i have enough money in 20 years i think i would do that a few times a week working for a non-profit and maybe fill some hours working at Home Depot or auto parts place.

More an idea, but decent money if you obtain a captains license and own a nice size boat you can do charters. A friend did it this past year and made about 25k. However he said its pretty stressful, and you run a lot of risk with your boat, people breaking things, getting hurt etc.

You know Carol Baskin had similar dreams in the 1990's which her husband did not see coming.

2. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I think it is interesting how everyone has a different definition of retirement.

For me retiring just means I'm financially independent. I can live on my assets/investments and no longer need to work. It basically means I do what I want to do, when I want to do it.

Doesn't mean I won't work.

I plan on starting a business in retirement. I'll be working my ass off, I just won't HAVE to in order to live :)

Fohu, steelcity2 and Pablo8 like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    Pretty much where I am on the spectrum. Our definitions are near spot on.

steelcity2 and PackCon[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:18 PM
    Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    One can never have too many light bars.
    I'm never going to "retire" per say. I would rather get in a situation where I can scale back and work 2-3 days per week or something like that. Assuming I have enough funds saved up. I like staying busy and having productive things to do besides golf and driving out into the forest to shoot things.

PackCon likes this.
  5. Jan 15, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    That would be more like if I hit the lottery, b/c I would want to have all kinds of animals and hire a few close friends to work there.

6. Jan 15, 2021 at 4:41 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    I like how when I am working on my own stuff or even chores like today I don't get people/idiot tired like I used to at work. And at the end of the day now, it's a good tired, not a disturbed tired.

Maybe I just hate people............I don't - but dealing with others is taxing, I don't get energy from it as others do.

CPS-65, steelcity2 and ABA180 like this.
  7. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    I've commented to my wife that working from home since the pandemic really picked up speed has been fine with me. My role is not one which requires interacting with others..most times in the office I have my headphones on and heavy metal blasting.

CPS-65, PackCon and Pablo8[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    Overlandcharlie

Overlandcharlie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa ok
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR access cab
    Toytec boss alumaseries C/O JBS UCAs CMC 1/4 “ level spacer Boss2.5 rear shocks Toytec AAL and 1” block Lo pro front recovery bumper X20 winch dynnema rope / factor 55 aluminum recovery clevis Lo pro light bar install with wireless remote RCI sliders Dobinson snorkel PRO aluminum skid TRD PRO grill Fuel 17x8.5 wearing Nitto 285s 285 spare and spare mount mods Rear recovery point Soft topper ( grey) modified tail gate snap Snail armor aluminum tailgate insert In bed - sleeping and storage platform ( with tool locker ) - carpeted Offroam RAM mount - cellular/GPS Maxtraxx knock offs and tons of recovery gear including more power puller synthetic Rugged ridge compressor ROAM storage Shiftsense mod .
    JFC ..... why the question
    Enjoy life . It’s short . Then it’s over
    Fuck me . Yes I may have had more then a few drinks

koditten and Pablo8 like this.
  9. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:30 PM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    You lost me at “National well run...” lol

10. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Same. Seems borderline political. Let's move on.

ABA180 and davidstacoma[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:54 PM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    As someone looking to retire in the not to far future, I advise younger folks to not count on anyone but yourself. Save money out of every paycheck to a 401k or an IRA, or some other form of investment. After a while you won’t miss it. Save as much as you can, it will grow and give you a decent retirement and anything else you get like Social Security if it’s still viable is a bonus.
    And if you’re older, it’s still not too late to start saving, you will be surprised how fast it can grow with smart investing.

Xtremsiege2, PackCon and ABA180 like this.
  12. Jan 15, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    My strategy all along. Not just Social Security, but Medicare as well.

I work in the insurance field and while things could be a bit better (could always be, I suppose) I have a pension I don't pay a dime into that's separate from my 401K. I hit 20 years service which guarantees the pension, I can't touch it until at least 55 years old. While they stopped putting money in this year, they are upping their contribution to the 401K.

They also are still going to subsidize my insurance and my wife's when I retire, even if I predecease her she can still keep it

13. Jan 15, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    I am retired. What it means is I go to bed when I want. Get up when I want. And when I’m up doing what I want.

Of course that is only the the full approval of my boss, er wife.

14. Jan 25, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    steelcity2

steelcity2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD sport
    Bilsteins 5100's all 4 corners 1 inch rear spacer
    Thats the best definition I've heard and well said.

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 25, 2021 at 6:18 AM
    str8edgMTBMXer

str8edgMTBMXer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DCLB; midnight black metallic
    I am the same way. I love 99% of what I do - I am a band director - so I don't see myself retiring from teaching music. I WILL, however, retire from teachers meetings, waking up early ,and dress clothes at some point. I am getting to the point in my life where I want to travel more, expand on other hobbies, and set my own schedule.

My plan is to hang at my current job for maybe another 5 years, then see if I can retire to just doing private lessons and consulting. I have been at my job for 30+ years in the same place, and practically started and grew the program from scratch. It will be hard to let that go...

I just got my Tacoma to become our traveling headquarters as my wife and I would like to hit National/Provincial Parks in retirement. I think she will work for 15 more years as well...she is a pharmacy tech. She also likes her job for the most part.

16. Jan 25, 2021 at 6:22 AM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you do?

17. Jan 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I actually work in a low stress, low responsibility, low paying, but highly rewarding job for the state.
    My husband is in marketing.

We make a decent living in a low cost of living state but we don’t make obscene amounts of money. Right now its about $113k/yr.

I only say that because people think you have to make a lot to retire early and in reality you just have to be incredibly intentional with what you have.

18. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    And have some luck.

I'm 37 and have never earned above high five figures as an annual income in my life. Even the best saving and investing methods in the world won't get you out of the workforce in your 30s on that income alone. The wife and I are retirement ready because:

- I went into a very secure medical field and didn't have to worry about job security.
    - I graduated into the workforce December 2008, when the stock market was the lowest it had been in 80 years, inflation adjusted.
    - I continued to live like a broke college student in a 1/1 apartment and saved 30-50% of my annual income for a decade.
    - I invested that income from 2009 to 2019 using a Bogle passive philosophy during the greatest bull market of the past century.

Had I not graduated when I did into a secure 5-figure income and immediately begun investing like mad, it wouldn't have worked. Lots of people finished school when I did and couldn't get anything for work. Or they were in and out of the workforce every 6 months as the economy had seizures. You could do everything I did exactly but if you were 5 years earlier or later it wouldn't have worked. I happened to jump into the market at the lowest point it will likely be at forever more. That was luck.

Hard work is critical. You won't get there without it. But hard work alone will not get you there either.

pjtx808, mountainmonkey and koditten like this.
  19. Jan 26, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Not entirely sure how to respond to this because a lot of what you stated like job choice, standard of living, and choosing to invest is not luck. Those are conscious decisions one makes in regards to reaching future financial goals.

I am 7-8 years behind you and I did it (on my way at least). And I didn't enter the market at an all time low, I didn't have a high demand job, I have never made over $50k as an individual at a single job, didn't make over $100k combined household income until 2017.

I think the biggest barrier to retiring early is people figuring out that is their goal early on, and having the knowledge to get started and become intentional with their money to reach those goals. Time is your best friend with investing, as is keeping that standard of living low so that you can be heavily investing. If you don't have that realization you want to retire at 40 until you are 35 and only make $50k a year, yeah probably going to be hard to achieve that goal in that period of time.

The vast majority of people who build wealth get there by living below their means and with time. They don't get there because of their freak investments in Tesla or Bit Coin. Are there people that have? Yes, but they aren't the majority.

The only luck I had is in my family and the people I've had around me inspiring me (which I do appreciate is quite a privilege) but if I hadn't done any of the work, I'd never be where I am now. Because those folks didn't work for me, they didn't go to school for me, they didn't budget for me, they didn't make my life choices for me, and they didn't save or pick my investments for me. That was just me grinding with a goal.

Now I'm also going to reiterate my definition of retirement is: Do what you want, when you want.

I cannot stop working forever, with no income, and live off my investments in my 30s (on what planet would anyone want to do that anyways?). I can just severely back off investing, let what is there do the growing, and I only need to work a job that can provide for my most basic needs.

Maybe that's where the difference lies. I am not leaving the "workforce". I just won't have to work for someone else if I don't want to.

str8edgMTBMXer, ABA180 and steelcity2 like this.
  20. Jan 26, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    kairo

kairo >_>

Member:
    Nor Nev
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR DCLB Quicksand
    *raises hand* I, for one, am not working one millisecond longer than I absolutely have to. If I can accomplish that in my 30's, hooray. I'll go fishing.

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top