1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Realistically, when do you think you can retire?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by aficianado, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    You built millions in equity in 6-7 years? You sound extremely leveraged. Are we talking millions in equity and millions in debt? Net worth is what matters.

koditten and maxpower29[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    My net worth is about 3-4 mil give or take. My biggest assets are 4 companies that I bought 30% of at 1.5 mil value and have tripled their profits and value since and I probably wouldn't sell for anything under 7-8 mil right now.
    Minimal property value i guess. Under 300k, 150 in two properties.
    I also invested in a pretty risky European bank ownership that ended up selling for 5 times my value months ago and that equity is over 250k.
    It sounds crazy to even write this while I'm sitting on my couch in dirty clothes and cookie crumbs all over me lol.

koditten and davidstacoma like this.
  3. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:09 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    I guess I should also add I kind of started at 25. That's when i bought my first rental. But didn't ramp it up till I hit 28-30

Deathbysnusnu likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    BadDad69!

BadDad69! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crew cab, short box, 6MT, Army Green, TRD OffRoad.
    none yet
    2 years, ill be 60. Wife's 8 yrs. Younger so ill be on her insurance fir 5 years till 65.
    At least thats the plan.

davidstacoma and maxpower29 like this.
  5. Apr 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Probably stonks (ill have much more money at 62 vs 50)

6. Apr 17, 2021 at 4:55 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    My dad is military and has military retirement, SS, and will have a civil service pension. So he triples dips and no one seems to care about that LOL.

It's not true it can't be lost or reduced. All I have to say is Enron.
    Even state governments can be fools with the pension funds (look at IL). It would be highly unlikely for a state pension to be reduced or stop but it can happen. Which is why if you can take your pension in a lump sum and invest it, do it. The only time you hav control is when the account has your name on it. That's it.
    Private pensions experience problems all the time. That rug can get pulled out from under you.

I won't ever work someplace long enough to get one, which is why I don't see them as a benefit. Work 20-30-40 years in the same place? Yeah shoot me.

maxpower29 likes this.
  7. Apr 17, 2021 at 5:11 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I can always make money or cut back. I could work my whole life and build a net worth over $10 Mil by 65 but... I don't need $10 Mil and it's not worth the sacrifice to work doing something I dislike to do it. And it's not so much I dislike my job, I dislike working for other people and I dislike office work.

My lifestyle is nice but not super lavish. I just got my home paid off finally so that expense is gone. House payment goes into investments now. I could say post-tax we live on $36k a year and thats really comfy for us. We don't require much, which was part of the plan. Live minimally and invest like crazy so at least we can work doing what we want and just let our retirement sit and grow for 20-30 years and be sitting and growing without having to contribute.

I resonate with the long term plan. I don't want to make an uncalculated decision. I want to have thought it through and understand how any changes impact the long term goals.

I just fantasized Thursday night of walking away. I bartend and serve part time (and I make more an hour than I do at my full time gig) and I could just pick up more shifts there, start working as an intern in the brewery where I work some days, and then have time to do my home brew projects and maybe in a couple years be a brewer. Then in 10 years open my own place.

I could do it and be perfectly fine financially. My husband has the healthcare benefits and 401k access. We could still max that out yearly plus live even if I took a slight pay cut, but in all honesty if I served 30-40 hours a week I wouldn't take a pay cut. Just a benefit cut.

maxpower29 likes this.
  8. Apr 19, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    CPS-65

CPS-65 I’m good for some, but I’m not for everyone.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alta Loma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD Off Road 4X4
    Mostly old man mods
    Here is what I am talking about:

The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) is a formula that can reduce the size of your Social Security retirement benefit if you receive a pension from a job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes. Such a “non-covered” pension might have been earned, for instance, by work for a state or local government agency that does not participate in FICA payroll-tax withholding.

If you collect such a pension, the WEP could reduce your Social Security benefit by up to half of the amount of your pension. (By law, it cannot eliminate your benefit entirely; Social Security sets maximums on the dollar amount, as detailed in its WEP Chart.) About 1.9 million people, or 3 percent of Social Security beneficiaries, are affected by the provision, according to a February 2020 report by the Congressional Research Service.

Congress approved the Windfall Elimination Provision in 1983 as part of a larger package of Social Security reforms (including an increase in the full retirement age). The intent was to remove an unintended advantage for workers who collect non-covered pensions (typically from government employment) but also did some "covered" work in jobs that paid into Social Security.

Because relatively little of their lifetime income was reflected in their Social Security earnings records, these workers benefited from Social Security’s progressive formula for figuring retirement payments, which is weighted in favor of low-wage workers. In other words, someone who collected a healthy government salary for decades received the same advantage in Social Security calculations as did a longtime low-income worker.

The WEP eliminates this advantage by tweaking the formula for people also receiving non-covered pensions in a way that reduces their Social Security retirement benefits.

I don't know how other states do their pensions, but CA guarantees its payout by law regardless of the state of the fund. In that sense it's far more secure than my wife's investment based retirement. We can potentially make more with hers because we control the investments and risk factor, but we can also lose money because of that. Our investment portfolio is fairly low risk. As we are quickly approaching retirement, we will shift that risk factor further down. We shifted all our work-related investment to hers because of the employer matching and control we have over investment choices. We also have money I inherited in another portfolio. We always planned to retire in So Cal, but have decided we would like a change, so we'll be off to another state. The upside is many states have a far lower cost of living than CA.

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    gillies66

gillies66 Just Passing Through

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR
    20 months. I’ll be 57. Wife already there. No debt. Diverse investments. Cash flow looks good.

Plan to travel with wife and generally treat every day like Saturday for a couple years. Then get a casual job for something to do.

PzTank, cmbondo, PackCon and 2 others like this.
  10. Apr 19, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Yes. The state has to decide to make their employees a non SS taxed position. You lose SS quarters because you arent paying SS taxes.

While it can be unlikely, a state can go bankrupt and be unable to fulfill its pension promises. New legislation can pass to limit, reduce, or retract benefits.

Just because the law says X now doesn’t mean it can’t change. IL is going to have to change its state constitution on pensions or its going bankrupt.

I assume the worst, that way I can only be pleasantly surprised. :)

DES2009 likes this.
  11. Apr 19, 2021 at 10:06 AM
    tacopeter

tacopeter My truck isn't modded. It's well optioned.

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    21 DCLB TRD OR
    OEM+
    In 10 years (age 50) or less. But my form of retirement is different. I’d be involved in our business even though we don’t have to be physically there.

Toyko Joe and PackCon like this.
  12. Apr 19, 2021 at 11:56 PM
    Barrister

Barrister Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro, Solar Octane, 6 speed Manual
    Predator Steps, OEM Tonneau
    The influx from California (mostly) and other states to Arizona has changed it drastically—economically, socially and politically. It has been colonized.

13. Apr 20, 2021 at 3:41 AM
    gillies66

gillies66 Just Passing Through

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR
    True. Been in AZ since ‘84. Never before have I seen the volume of people or witnessed the level of change you point out. Are we getting the best of CA? I’m unsure.

14. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    tacopeter

tacopeter My truck isn't modded. It's well optioned.

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    21 DCLB TRD OR
    OEM+
    Guess This pertains to me. Purchased a home in Paradise Valley only to live in during the winter months. But it is considered our retirement property and got it for a smoking deal. And no, I don’t play golf.

Pablo8 likes this.
  15. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:28 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    I'm on the body bag retirement plan.

hfjeff, Pablo8 and koditten like this.
  16. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:28 AM
    metrick1215

metrick1215 Pirate Medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    about 8 years after i die i can retire...

17. Apr 21, 2021 at 4:11 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Nothings impossible this day and age but there would be significant court challenges to any retroactive reduction of retirement benefits on the books at the time of hire.

18. May 1, 2021 at 4:50 AM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Found out 100k of my investment has to be now put under capital gains which was a grey area and I thought I could get away with. Add another year to my retirement.
    The amount of tax we pay is out right insane here in NS

19. May 11, 2021 at 2:43 AM
    Mudsock

Mudsock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 2.7 4x4
    2875 days. But who is counting? Lol

steelcity2, CPS-65 and Pablo8 like this.
  20. Nov 2, 2021 at 3:10 AM
    Mudsock

Mudsock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 2.7 4x4
    2681 days. Still counting.

Pablo8 and steelcity2 like this.

Products Discussed in