1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really considering Locker but need opinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bgdeer1, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    so non selective lockers that are locked all the time are just junk no? Is it worth 300$?

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    AZtacoma05

AZtacoma05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Not junk, just not that practical for a daily driver, if it's and off road only vehicle, go for it. Otherwise I would suggest saving up and going for the selectable. Otherwise you're going to go through tires faster and it won't be as safe for on road driving.

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    now when you say how fast your tires wear out how faast do they wear? Is it redicliously fast? or not so bad.. what other cautions are there when it comes to On road driving ??

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    to straighten this thread up... a powertrax lockright (LUNCHBOX LOCKER) WILL let tires move at seperate speeds during cornering. its NOT full locker like a spool or welded diff!! you do haved to learn how to drive it on pavement. is it unsafe? it can be in the rain etc. will it wear out tires faster? probably not noticeably. would a selectable locker ie arb or ox locker be better? imho yes. but is more $. i would go with the powertrax if you want it cheap. lunchbox lockers drop into your original diff case and dont require alot of setup. making them perfect for diy on a budget guys.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    The LOCK-RIGHT's operation is fully automatic. Designed to send the engine power to the wheels with the most traction, the LOCK-RIGHT will help get you where you want to go. While traveling straigAlthough smoother than other competitive locking differentials, the brute force characteristics of the POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT Locker limit general application in less tolerant and more mainstream applications. In some vehicles, you will hear a light clicking noise as the gears are overrunning themselves and allowing the wheels to differentiate in a turn. This is normal of most lockers on the market today. We recommend the LOCK-RIGHT for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. For vehicles that are driven daily or require more mainstream application, the POWERTRAX TRACTION SYSTEMS offer a quieter and smoother performance. ht the LOCK-RIGHT will lock the axles together similar to a spool. However, when the wheeAlthough smoother than other competitive locking differentials, the brute force characteristics of the POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT Locker limit general application in less tolerant and more mainstream applications. In some vehicles, you will hear a light clicking noise as the gears are overrunning themselves and allowing the wheels to differentiate in a turn. This is normal of most lockers on the market today. We recommend the LOCK-RIGHT for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. For vehicles that are driven daily or require more mainstream application, the POWERTRAX TRACTION SYSTEMS offer a quieter and smoother performance. ls need to differentiate in a turn, the LOCK-RIGHT will allow the outside wheel to rotate faster to complete the turn. The internal gears on the LOCK-RIGHT will overrun each other to allow this differentiation.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    ok so the Lunch box locker aka powertrax lockright is not a FUll locker?? So it wont chatter the tires when i corner?? it will unlock and be normal? do you have a site where i can find the size i need?

7. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    it acts like a spool or welded diff ONLY in straight line. during cornering it ratchets to let the wheel move at different speeds. its not a open diff during cornering so power is still being applied to both wheels. just not on a 50/50 split. hints why they are unsafe in rain/ snow etc. you haved to learn how to drive with them. http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright.html

8. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    Alright now i am a daily drive most street on weekdays etc but weekend i love to go mud and hit the trails. 70% road 30% mud/dirt whatever, is that ok?. This is a good idea? i hate being gettin high centered with one tire off the ground which happens to be the one that spins.. im tired of it. I believe everything u say is making this easier so thanks =D That site u linked to me do they sell the locker as well?

9. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    where can i buy the locker? i still dk what size i need.. ive been told 8" 8.4".... 03 tacoma prerunner 4cyl if anyone can help

10. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    the tire lifted off the ground that spins is because of an open diff. yes richmondgear sells said lunchbox locker. if you want a stronger full case locker look into detroit lockers. the cost more and require more skill to install. but are still cheaper than selectable lockers. aslong as you dont buy a spool or weld the diff (lincoln locked) you will be fine.

11. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    Cletus Cobb

Cletus Cobb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Davie County NC
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma V6 4x4 ext cab
    the boys in nascar run lockers like you are talking about, if they did'nt
    they would break an axel on the first left turn. you do not want to run a locker like that not even off road...... if you can't pony up the bucks for
    an air locker or a used rear end out of a trd just wait till you can, beause a tow bill and a new axel is going to be more than $300.......

12. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    circle track guys run powertrax lockers detroit lockers.NONE OF THEM RUN SELECTABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    as far as not wanting to run a locker like that.. not even offroad! WTF do they make them for then???? why is it that ppl with there friggin MALLCRAWLERS are so stuck on selectable lockers that are more prone to failure!!!????? i have a trd factory locker. and i dont like it. i have a jeep with dual selectable arb's. and dont like them..

14. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    1 more thing to really throw a wrench into all the spool. vs. full time locker. vs. selectable locker. keep your open diff and install cutting/steering brakes like dunebuggies run. they work great. you pull the lever on the tire that is losing traction and it will send the power to the tire with traction. like a lsd... i dont wanna get your thread off track. so i will still say you go with a lunchbox locker. for ease of installment. $. added traction.. and to be different.

15. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    does anyone know what size rear axle i have in my 03 prerunner 4 cyl?? 8" or 7.5?

16. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    i am not sure. you should have an axle id tag that will give you the ring and pinion ratio and the ring gear diameter.

17. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    where is that ID tag?

18. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    PacNWgen1

PacNWgen1 NewHere

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96' Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7l 4x4 5-speed 150,000+
    DynoMax ST, Deck Plate, Full Syn, Soon Header and Slotted Rotors
  19. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    Cletus Cobb

Cletus Cobb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Davie County NC
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma V6 4x4 ext cab
    hey sparky4.o I never said the roundy-round boys ran selectable lockers.
    I have put together a couple of rear ends in my time in nc. I've used the
    detroit lockers on the quick change rears and they do more than chatter a little, and you put one in the rear of a light weight taco and you are looking for trouble.
    I don't really understand why it pissed you off so much, but I guess everybody on the internet is a badass. you are the first person I ever heard that didn't like selectable lockers.
    One last thing..... I don't have a mall crawler sparky boy.........

20. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    sorry your post seemed confusing. so lets get it straight. roundy round guys dont run selectable lockers. correct? now then y would they break an axle on the first left turn????? and y dont you wanna run a locker like that offroad? they wouldn't make them if you didnt run them offroad!!!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top