1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really considering Locker but need opinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bgdeer1, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    chatter is common!!!!!! as far as puttin 1 in the back of a taco is looking for trouble.. i guess i will go take the 1 out of the solid axle from underneath my buggy.. since it weighs half what a taco rear end does!!! or maybe i will continue to run it and wait till the said trouble happens. (after i have been running it for years!!) as for why i dont like selectable lockers.. the more components you put in just gives more weak links. air hoses to snag. compressor to quit. electrical connectors that dont like water.

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    i didnt say you had a mallcrawler. what i was getting at. is the guy said he was on a BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!! and every1 says buy the most EXPENSIVE locker!!!!! i was giving the guy the best advice for a budget. not a friggin million dollar mallcrawler that has chromed driveshafts.

3. Mar 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    8". You have the same rear as a 4x4.
    In the drivers side door jam will be a little placard like this. That bottom right number (A03A) is the axle code. It will tell you the diff ratio, LSD, etc.

http://www.yotatech.com/50942151-post13.html

010_d1e55b204119fe1f3de572a4a2a50f2c944056f6.jpg

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    MitchMan

MitchMan Member

Member:
    I am a newbie here.

Just read some stuff about PowerTrax No-Slip lockers. The website said that these are essentially AUTOMATIC lockers that only lock the differential when one wheel loses traction and you are driving in a straight line. This means, by implication, that your differential is in "open" differential mode at all other times (which is the case with highway driving) and will not lock your differential unless and until BOTH of the following occur simultaneously: 1) one wheel looses traction 2)your are driving in a straight line. Apparently these are "lunch box" types and are about $375 each and they are geared similar to the lower costing Lock Right types ($275 each). The difference is the Lock Right automatic Lockers are noisier and just a hair weaker in construction build than the No-Slip automatic lockers. The No-Slip lockers are supposed to be smoother and quieter. Both of these lockers (being lunch box types) are easy to install (does not require any setup) compared to the ARBs selectable lockers and are "multiple times" cheaper.

If the above is true and accurate, that seems like a pretty good solution to me. I am going to use my Hilux 4 banger 4x4 for general transportation in Baja, La Paz, and to pull a 1300 lb boat and trailer for beach boat launching over soft sandy Baja beaches. I need something in addition to open differentials. Limited slip would be best, selectable lockers next best, then the PowerTrax No-Slip. If the PowerTrax No-Slip works as good as the website says, that is probably going to be my choice for ease of operation and low cost.

I hope someone disagrees with me siting specific reasons. I don't want to make a mistake.

5. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    whopwood

whopwood Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    WI
    Vehicle:
    21' Sport Magnetic DC SB MT
    Is the axel code anywhere else on the vehicle? Mine was repainted on the drivers side and that tag is gone =/

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I swear that was my idea. Someone back me up... I came up with it a long time ago. It's in this forum titled something like "My awesome LSD Idea".

Products Discussed in

To Top