1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really stupid basic towing question...

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rmeyer7, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:35 AM
    rmeyer7

rmeyer7 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4-cyl, 5-speed
    I didn't see this question posted anywhere, probably because it's too obvious...but I'll ask anyway because I've never pulled a trailer with my truck.

I'm thinking of picking up a very small and light pop-up camping trailer. My truck is a completely stock, base model 2nd gen Tacoma. Can I use a simple towing ball in the stock bumper, or do I need a specific kind of rear bumper or perhaps a tow package installed?

2. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    It depends on how much the actual trailer weighs. But I'd feel safest with a tow package over a bumper with a ball any day.

3. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:47 AM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    If your truck came with a factory mounted hitch, it will do the job. But if it didn't, and you are considering bolting a ball through a hole in the bumper, that would less than ideal. Most bumpers are pretty light, so have a shop install a real hitch, attached to the frame. If you ever had a failure at highway speed with an inappropriate hitch setup, it wouldn't be pretty - either the event or the aftermath in court.

4. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I would not want to be towing with a bumper ball. I seen this a lot and everyone is bent. As the truck gets aged and rust starts it get weaker. You can get a hitch setup without breaking the bank and then you can adj the ride level also. Do it right the first time and never have to worry about it.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  5. Mar 5, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Get a tow hitch, don't chance it. Not worth the risks.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  6. Mar 5, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    rmeyer7

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the feedback, definitely going to get a hitch. If I get this trailer I'll be picking it up today or tomorrow and won't have time to get the hitch installed first. For one-time use just to get it home, do you think it would be an issue to use a ball in the bumper? It's only about a 30 mile drive, and the trailer weight is 995 lb.

7. Mar 5, 2016 at 9:28 AM
    jmatteau

jmatteau Well-Known Member

Member:
    If there is a hole in the bumper designed for a ball, that should be fine to get it home. But definitely get a hitch setup. Do you have wiring setup?

8. Mar 5, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    rmeyer7

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    No...hoping to get it home without getting pulled over. Usually there aren't too many police on patrol on the outskirts of Houston where I live so I don't expect to have any trouble on a short drive.
    :fingerscrossed:

9. Mar 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Roughly a bajillion and a half miles get towed every year using just a bumper and a ball. Don't worry about it. I prefer a receiver just because I can swap balls back and forth in seconds without tools and it pushes the trailer back a few inches from the vehicle, but as long as you don't go heavier than the bumper is rated for you shouldn't have an issue. Stock bumper I believe is rated for 3500 pounds. And really, I don't want to tow heavy with a light vehicle. Bigger trucks make better tools.

Sandwiched between the oh so pretty and oh so weak chrome sheet is a pretty thick piece of steel you're actually towing on.

Worrying you'll get sued for using the equipment as designed is silly.

When you wire the plug get a combo unit with the 4 and the 7 pin outlets. They don't really cost anymore, don't take any more to wire up for the 4 pin, and give you options without needing adapters down the road.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  10. Mar 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    And the truck is designed to pull more than is rated weight so it's a non issue as long as you stay within design parameters. If we were advocating he use duct tape and bubble gum it would be different. Lots of money and engineering time went into it, it's as safe as it needs to be to do the job is meant to do.

The bumper is a class 2 rating, exceed that and you'll want an appropriate receiver hitch.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    BrettBretterson likes this.
  11. Mar 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    While you are at it, you might want to see about a transmission cooler and an auxiliary oil cooler. Yes, it's a light trailer, but these additions can't hurt.

12. Mar 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    Bastrop Olphart

Bastrop Olphart Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    Bottom of the Line Model
    I joined this forum just to have this very question answered. I was going over the owner's manual today and came across the section on bumper towing. It claims a 3500# towing limit, but my trailer only handles 1000 pounds, making the total weight around 1500#.
    I had already called Texas Truck and Trailer in Austin, and they didn't even have wiring information on the new Tacomas. I will go to the dealer in the morning and confab with them.
    BTW, I am also on the outskirts of Houston - if you consider Bastrop the outskirts. :)

13. Apr 16, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:
    One nice Tracker deserves another. My 1987 MV16.

best view.jpg

dmccurdy7 likes this.
  14. Apr 16, 2016 at 8:58 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Sweet........:yes::yes::yes:

Best boat for the kind of fishing I do.... No worries about scratching gel coat... :D

Products Discussed in

To Top