1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

really trying to figure out how to fix taco lean issues...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by weimar97, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    weimar97

weimar97 [OP] Member

Member:
    southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport 4x4
    I've got a 2001 PreRunner and have a bit of taco lean that I'd like to get rid of. It appears that the previous owner tried to get rid of the lean by putting plastic blocks in the coil and they obviously no longer work.

Also, I've recently put on new tires (265/75R16) and have some rubbing issues when turning.

I'd like to remedy the rubbing issue as well as the taco lean. Even after reading tons of threads on this website (as well as others), I'm not exactly clear on which path to take to fix these issues.

Will the purchase of 5100 shocks for the fronts resolve both of these problems or is there something else I need to do as well? Thanks for any assistance you might offer....

2. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes to the Billys.

3. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    billys would probably work but have fun getting them anytime soon,they are backordered everywhere. you could replace the front coils and put a trim packer kit on to fix the lean???

4. Apr 30, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    1/4" top plate spacer on the drivers side will work.

I have 5100's and still have the lean.

EDIT: Not sure if it's the same for a 1st gen though.

5. Apr 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Diagnosing the root cause of the lean can be complicated.

For example, the lean may be most noticable on the front of your truck but it may not be a direct result of only the front springs. A saging back spring can cause the opposite front corner to lift.

I just finished installing new springs on all 4 corners partially in an effort to address this same 'taco lean' issue. I put adjustable coilover shocks on the front so I could get precise control over how much lift I have plus remove the lean I had in the front.

The good news is that my front is now very level. No more lean. :yay: The bad news is, the back still has a 'lean', or at least one back corner is about a half an inch higher than the other back corner. It appears that the only way to get rid of it is to put weight on that back corner and then take a little lift out of the opposite front corner. :eek:

I can get it to look level with about 180 lbs of strategically placed sand bags.

6. May 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    weimar97

weimar97 [OP] Member

Member:
    southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport 4x4
    fortunately my lean is not horrible like some say but it's definitely noticeable. The lean, coupled with the tire rubbing, is started to bother me - which is why I am trying to figure out how to fix it.

Thus far, I am under the impression that a 1/4" plate on the driver's front corner along with Bilstein 5100 shocks in the fronts would likely be the answer I'm looking for. Do I need to replace the coils while I'm at it?

7. May 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I think you are on the right track with the spacer. Though it mnay take more than just the spacer.

Doing the same thing to both sides is not going to 'fix' the issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top