1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Air Deflector for Topper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by b0ules, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    b0ules

b0ules [OP] Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    Hey All,
    This isn't necessarily 2nd Gen specific, but I thought I'd start it here.

I've got a Leer 100XL on the back of my Speedway Blue TRD OR Access Cab. In anything but dry and clean conditions, the tailgate and the back window of the topper get absolutely COVERED in dust, spray, mud, monkey dung, snow, or whatever I'm driving through. To address this, I've been looking for a spoiler or deflector to install at the back of my truck cap to deflect some air downward and hopefully reshape the airflow enough that at least my rear window would stay clean. I'd prefer to not drill into the fiberglass, but I'm willing to consider some options and execute them properly if it means a nice looking and practical solution.

I've searched the forums, googled my heart out, searched the manufacturers' websites. All nothing. The only semi-promising product I found was a Lund wing that's discontinued and is model specific. I need to find a truck with a very similar rear profile to that of my Leer topper, and I'm considering buying one of these and retro-fitting.

Otherwise, does anyone know of a nice/clean looking alternative that's produced for just this type of situation?

Cheers,
    Marc

2. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    swendling12

swendling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg Cab SR5 4 cyl 5spd 4x4
    My old man keeps telling me to get one for my truck (09 RC w/ARE cap) After removing my rear mudflaps it really gets dirty fast.

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    b0ules

b0ules [OP] Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    Alright, due to the underwhelming response to this question, I've got a different one.

I've got the Thule rain gutters/racks and I've been looking at the Thule wind deflector. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking that it *might* be an option for me if mounted facing rearward on the rear load bar. Not sure how it sits or what it needs to be stable though.

Does anyone have a wind deflector for their topper-mounted Thule rack who could take a pic of it mounted as described above? Don't want to go and buy it if it's going to look goofy, after all... ;) Also curious as to how it would handle the wind when mounted backward as it appears to me that it's designed to be pushed down by the wind.

Cheers,
    Marc

4. Oct 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    kaban

kaban Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Etobicoke, On
    Vehicle:
    TRD debadged
    Hi! Did you find any solution by now? I'm looking for something too. Thx!

5. Oct 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
  6. Oct 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    b0ules

b0ules [OP] Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Right bassman, that's why I'm looking for a wind deflector that would kick the wind down over the back of the truck. It would stick up a little into the airflow and scoop some air down to push dust or snow or whatever along the back window kinda like my fantastic diagram below. ;)

Back /--------------- front

Cheers,
    Marc

7. Oct 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Interesting problem and one i've found is a hassle as well. Back on the topper is always dusty, no matter what.

You may be on to something with the backwards Thule wind deflector. I've seen them on a few trucks so i'd imagine someone will share a pic...

8. Oct 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    It sure is possible. I knew someone that had an old '80 hatchback that had a rear air deflector instead of a wiper. The deflector was clearly directing air downward from the top of the car and he told me that it worked pretty well.

9. Oct 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
  10. Oct 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
  11. Oct 29, 2012 at 3:48 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Oct 29, 2012 at 4:09 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    A lot of school busses have these to aid in keeping the rear window clear.

Unfortunately for us, I have never come across something similar. I also have a Leer 100XL. I've basically given up trying to look through the rear windows, especially at night and dirty.

On another note OP: did you look into getting the power lock accessory for your canopy?

13. Oct 29, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    i had that mopar one on my 99 grand cherokee...waste of money really...so was that jeep as a matter of fact

14. Oct 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my rear topper window gets everybit as dirty as my wife's subaru forester rear window. and she has the "Wing" deflector.

lucky her car has that rear washer..we use it all the time. not so sure a deflector is gonna improve things.

15. Oct 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    b0ules

b0ules [OP] Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    If done right, the deflector basically scoops a little bit of air and sends a layer of it down the window. I recall my father's mid-80s S10 Blazer had this when I was a kid and it worked like a champ compared to others without.

Not exactly what i was thinking, but here's something more like it:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gts-56256/overview/

But now that introduces other issues like covering up my 3rd brake light, blocking my rear glass from opening, etc...

Back to the search...either for a product or for patience to deal with the covered window. ;)

Cheers.

16. Oct 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Beast Mode

Beast Mode Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB Sport 4x4
    RCD lift, Pro Comp, 285/70/17 Destination AT, LR UCA, magnaflow muffler, LEER 180, Flyzeye, Clazzio covers, N-Fab steps
    I do not have a link for you OP, nor a product in mind, but what you are describing is kind of like what the 4th gen 4runners have (and 3rd gen's too). They call it a spoiler, but the design is to do just what you are saying, keep the back window clean(er). They actually redesigned the spoiler in 2006 with a "hump" to aid in pushing the air downwards. To me it would seem that whatever fairing or windjammer product would need to be stuck to canopy's glass, not the top of the canopy. This is coming from my past 4runner's as reference.

17. Jun 8, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    jcfergus

jcfergus Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD Pro wheels (gray), Snugtop shell
    I have a 2016 TRD ORAC w\Snugtop shell and was looking for the same thing, primarily to keep dust off the rear window and bumper. I couldn’t find one anywhere in the US, but found an excellent, universal rear deflector in Australia at Roof Rack World (
    https://roofrack.com.au/product/rear-dust-wind-deflector-1100mm-alloy-universal/)
    The price is reasonable but the shipping is steep, mostly because of the length. By ordering two or more at once, the shipping cost per unit gets tolerable.

I ordered the 1100mm model, which matched the visual profile of the rear glass nicely. A friend put the 1200mm on a Snugtop shell on an F150.

The curve of the bracket fit the shell closely enough and the mounting was easy and sturdy. I purchased stainless hardware locally, using fender washers on the inside and sealed the holes with silicone seal to be sure they were waterproof. It has to be located to clear the window when it’s full open.

The results are excellent. No dust collects at the back and if you put RainX on the rear window, it keeps it clear in the rain.
    IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3479.jpg
    IMG_3480.jpg

18. Jun 8, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    3Dog

3Dog good boy

Member:
    Rocky Mountain high...
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4 auto TRD Sport DCSB
    Might want to try an OEM rear deflector for a 100 series Land Cruiser (not the later models, but the ones from about '98-2001). I installed one on my 100 series LX470 and it worked as intended. Requires drilling for cert-nuts, but that is the same factory install method for the Land Cruiser.

19. Jun 8, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    ctcranor

ctcranor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    3rd gen 4runner or 1st gen Isuzu Trooper, local pick and pull.

Products Discussed in

To Top