1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Axle Bearings

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mpstickers, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Mar 16, 2024 at 3:53 PM
    Mpstickers

Mpstickers [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Howdy, 2000 Taco V6, Xtra Cab, 4x4, non-ABS. I have s terrible roaring noise and fluid leaked onto the inside of my driver side rear wheel, so clearly I'm going to be replacing rear axle bearings ASAP. I've been scouring the web and Amazon trying to nail down the right part(s) but all I've done is confuse the hell outta myself. Does anyone have readily available a part number for those reae bearings and seals ans/or any pointers or information that's not readily obvious to an ametuer like me. Aside from the huge press tool I'll need to buy borrow or rent to do the job

Thanks everyone.

2. Mar 16, 2024 at 4:04 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    I am a fairly accomplished amateur mechanic. Replaced stereo & electronics, UCA & LCA, F&R shocks, rear leaf springs, brakes & master cylinder and controller, etc. Rear bearings. It’s not a job I would tackle myself.

3. Mar 16, 2024 at 4:14 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    This is from a 2001 parts diagram.
    They should be the same.
    You will need parts 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

There are also 4 studs that go through part 10.
    They are not shown in the diagram. They are studs that the 4 nuts go on.
    The same nuts you take off to remove the axle assembly.
    I don't have the part # for them. Some guess beat there's out and re use them. I would NOT myself.
    upload_2024-3-16_19-12-24.png
    upload_2024-3-16_19-8-28.png

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Mar 16, 2024 at 4:15 PM
    TnShooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    wilcam47 likes this.
  5. Mar 16, 2024 at 4:16 PM
    TnShooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    BTW, that job is a PAIN IN THE ASS.
    Good luck my friend.

Just replacing the axle seal was a big enough job.
    I hope I never have to do a rear bearing.

Sklar, wilcam47 and 0xDEADBEEF like this.
  6. Mar 16, 2024 at 4:39 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/URD 2.2" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Doug Thorley Headers 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Here is a link to an excellent write up on how to do this job on a first gen. The write up has all the details including part numbers.

https://adventuretaco.com/guide/ste...ring-w-abs-1st-gen-tacoma-or-3rd-gen-4runner/

turbodb and Area51Runner like this.
  7. Mar 16, 2024 at 4:57 PM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 3.4 DC TRD PreRunner 4WD SWAP
    Can't agree more, best write-up out there.

As for the tools, you can save some money with a non-OTC slide hammer kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-Tech-Internal-External/dp/B07V8DLFGL

Also for the seal driver kit,
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC31TB3

Another option would be to check with the local auto parts store and see if they have either of them available as a 'free' rental (secured by your credit card# of course).

Digiratus[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 16, 2024 at 6:04 PM
    O'Silver_Taco

O'Silver_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
    3rz to 2Rz bebuilt block and new heads
  9. Mar 16, 2024 at 10:16 PM
    Red_03Taco

Red_03Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerad
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4WD
    https://youtu.be/vW25hvODHcs?si=AtEl-Rp7vmieU14U

OP I'd suggest watching this video. It's a great step by step tutorial on the job and the parts list is in the video description (and you can find all your needed part #'s there). He also provides a link to the specialty tool you'll need for the bearing and retainer removal/reinstall.

I've done this job twice (on 2 different vehicles), and both repairs worked and held up great. I've only been wrenching on vehicles over the past 4 years and am far from an expert. I'd highly encourage you to do this job yourself and save loads of money in labor costs.

*Note you will need access to a press for this job. The standard $200 harbor freight 20 ton works great, but a 10 ton would likely do the trick.*

leid likes this.
  10. Mar 16, 2024 at 10:21 PM
    Red_03Taco

Red_03Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerad
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4WD
    Also another great way to save money on this job (as the tools and parts can add up quite quickly), is to use a section of PVC tubing to drive in the seal. Once your axle seal comes in, take it to your local hardware store and by a piece of PVC that is as close to the same diameter. Works perfectly and you hit the PVC with a rubber mallet, and gently drive that seal into place.

11. Mar 17, 2024 at 3:41 PM
    Mpstickers

Member:
    Hey thanks everyone for all the info, I didnt expect so much do quickly,wow. Very much appreciated. It looks and sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. I'm by no means a professional mechanic but I consider myself mechanical enough to take on jobs like this. I just recently did the trees ad shocks and spring. And then the front shocks, steering knuckles which meant new bearings, brakes all around, UBJs and LBJs. Shout out to Jason (zippsub9) by the way. I purchased my knuckles from him and he had them in my hNs in no time. With beaeings pressed in and upper ball joints installed. It made the entire process far less painfull. And from what I can see and so far feel, the quality is top notch. He did a great job, oh AND he was rad to deal with . Very understanding and accommodating. Highly highly recommend using his services if you need. But yeah again, thanks for all of the input and ofo so quickly everyone. I'll let ys know how it goes

Area51Runner likes this.
  12. Mar 19, 2024 at 8:31 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    The timmy the toolman video is a must. Buy a shop press and the tool O’silver_taco shows and you are good. I did this first time with a cutting torch and second with a press. A lot easier with the press.

13. Mar 19, 2024 at 9:59 PM
    Mpstickers

Member:
    Would a 6T press suffice? Do we really need the 20T? I’ll get if so that just seems crazy big!

Oh yeah also, what are the chances I'm gonna need to order new axle shafts? Didn't even consider that until someone mentioned it. I haven't seen anyone replacing them in the vids I've watched though?

14. Mar 19, 2024 at 10:11 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/URD 2.2" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Doug Thorley Headers 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Rear axle seals and bearings don't fail for no reason. To prevent this from happening to your new parts, it is in your best interest to verify that the axle itself was not the root cause of your failure. I already suggested a method you can use to look for runout caused by a bent shaft or flange or even the wheel itself.

A 20 ton press, because of it's size not it's capacity, will make this job much easier. A 20 ton is also useful if you ever have to do the front wheel bearing. That job will require all of its capacity.

Area51Runner and TnShooter like this.
  15. Mar 19, 2024 at 10:12 PM
    O'Silver_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
  16. Mar 22, 2024 at 7:34 PM
    Mpstickers

Member:
    OK I still haven't made up my mind and I know I need to, like yesterday....my indecisiveness now is fueled by my recently seeing that I could just buy a new axls, with the pre-pressed bearing/hub/drum brake plate. From What I've read it's an immense time saver and it makes the whole process pretty painless. I know it will ultimately cost a little more. My issue and the question I have now is does anyone know the part humber or whatever RI would need to reference whe. Searching Amazon. I've tried countless searches and everyone of them is coming back saying "does not fit your 2000 Tacoma". Thanks for all od your input while I struggle through this people! Much appreciated.

17. Mar 24, 2024 at 3:38 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    To my knowledge, you cannot buy an assembled "rear axle assembly." If you could, it would have to include the rear brake drum, etc.

Area51Runner likes this.
  18. Mar 24, 2024 at 7:12 PM
    O'Silver_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
    He's confused, I've found complete assembly for 05-15

s-l1600 (5).jpg

but for gen 1's I can only find the kit....but not assembled.

rams018_oe_kit_new1-min.jpg

19. Mar 24, 2024 at 7:14 PM
    O'Silver_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    98 Dlx Sr5 ext AT Rwd
    Fronts are pretty popular to use the already pressed in bearing....

s-l1600 (4).jpg

20. Mar 26, 2024 at 1:41 AM
    Mpstickers

Member:
    They are all over the internet, have you looked? And you are correct, they include the brake and everything. I just cant find on for my 2000, Nonone offered assembled knuckle when I did that recently. Luckily I found Jason Sabat aka zippsub09 and he got me fixed up in no time and the knuckle he prepared and sent me made it a super a easy job. Ihighly recommend you hit him up if you're doing steering knuckles.

I've found the same thing and I guess you've just confirmed it for me. Ugggh not a happy camper here. Where did you find the kit you have pictured?

To Top