1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Axle Seal/Bearing Replacement Videos

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Timmah!, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    Timmah!

Timmah! [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Hey Tacoma Brothers,

My Buddy Sean and I have a double feature for you. If you were looking for a video tutorial to do the whole job on your own so you don't get bent over at a shop or have to pay a machine shop to do the press work for you, we got you covered. We have a video for ABS Rearends and Non-ABS Rearends.

Here's the videos and Enjoy the Show!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AVhSDnw2ugo

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vW25hvODHcs

We did an update to this repair by showcasing a new tool that's better than the Durasolid tool we originally used. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R-c2x3F8DU4

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    jammer, BandanaBerg, jjsul and 2 others like this.
  2. Apr 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    There's a guy on eBay that sells a better tool that will help reduce a lot of steps

3. Apr 20, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Well, now you tell me. Could you provide a link to the tool you're talking about?

Maybe you're talking about this one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-AXLE-B...855944?hash=item2ec58d2008:g:-V4AAOSwM4xXbamX

It's $400 bones though. The Durasolid tool I used is $160 but you need a bearing splitter too to get the ABS gear and inner retainer off. But, you could rent a bearing splitter for free at many auto parts stores:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Apr 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    Itchyfeet

Member:
  5. Apr 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    That looks like a nice tool but I think most would have a hard time throwing that kind of money out. That's more than twice the cost of the Durasolid tool. When you add a press to the total cost, you're close to a $600 investment. But, people that know they are going to get a lot of use out of it would probably invest in the purchase.

6. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    Now for the front wheel bearing video :bowdown:

7. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    It's coming sooner than you think. I helped a dude do a manual hub conversion for his 3rd Gen 4runner. We did press work on a set of manual hub knuckles from a 1st Gen Tacoma and transferred them to his 3rd Gen. We did make one error with the job by not supporting the new bearings while pressing in the hubs but we luckily got away with it and didn't destroy the bearings. I shot an extra clip documenting this mistake so people hopefully won't repeat what we did. The video is in the final stages of editing and will be up hopefully within the next few days.

harper7 and Itchyfeet like this.
  8. Apr 21, 2017 at 10:25 PM
    btu44

btu44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Double Cab, 4WD, TRD Off-Road
    SC with 7th injector. ICON 2.5 shocks and coil overs, SPC UCA, EMU Dakar rear springs. FrontRunner bed rack. ICOM IC7100 amateur transceiver
  9. Apr 22, 2017 at 1:08 PM

400K Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 2WD 400K+ miles
    Gotta admit Tim that is a very well done video, just as the others you have done that I have seen. I'm an electrical contractor too stubborn to pay people to work on my vehicles and I've been stressing about the process of replacing my 95 Tacoma rear wheel bearings. Ive been thinking about making my own tool, which doesn't look too hard, I hadn't considered the need to press the new bearings and spacer in on my non-ABS truck. From the video it looks like the tool that you bought worked well for pressing in new bearings...would that be a fair statement? I have access to a mill so I think I'll just buy the tool and take it to the shop and mill off 1/4" around the bolt holes to have a better length of threads protruding from the tool.

Oh yeah, and I will definitely be installing the spacers "backwards," thanks for going over this in the video.

Thanks again!

Edit: I am also interested in a "rental program" for the tool. Maybe I'll buy one and just charge a little to rent the thing out to anyone who is interested. Let me know if there's an interest in using it.

10. Apr 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    The Durasolid tool works really well to press the axle into the new bearing. But, what I'm learning with press work is there's all kinds of ways to accomplish the same task. If you're a McGyver type, you'll find multiple ways to get this job done. I don't own a welder or know how to weld, so buying the Durasolid tool was the best choice for me.

Instead of renting the tool, maybe you could just help somebody out and they could help you out one day in return. An extra set of hands when doing some these repairs is really helpful and maybe you'll gain a new friend in the process.

I'm stoked you like the videos we're putting out. We're never going to get rich doing this so the payment is knowing we're helping people become more self-sufficient working on their vehicles and saving themselves a ton of money in the process.

Kittenmittens4U, TacoDeAlex and 400K like this.
  11. Apr 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM

400K Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 2WD 400K+ miles
    for sure I agree. I just wish someone had one for rent so I didn't have to pay almost $200 to buy one. But since I'm not aware of any folks renting them I decided to buy one. How many guys have one sitting in their garage hardly ever used? I don't know but a rental program on donation basis only sounds good. And thanks to you I can definitely help with their Toyota projects if they are in NE Oklahoma too!

Taco Hell likes this.
  12. Apr 22, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    Itchyfeet

Member:
    I've rented mine out local. I use to rent out BMW specialty tools via UPS, but after having to pester someone for damn near a month to get one tool back I wonder if its worth it.

400K likes this.
  13. Jan 27, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Alright guys, just pulled my axles to take them in to get new bearings pressed on and wanted to verify something. My truck does not have abs, but it appears the rear end is an abs axle. It has the abs gears and extra retainer ring. Idk if this is normal or what, but the wheel bearing kit I purchased was for non abs. So I'm wanting to make sure that this kit will work by leaving the gear and rings off and just using the bearing and single retainer ring. Tia.

Edit: nvm. I realized since the seal sits further inside the axle housing, that it rides on the inboard retainer/collar and not the one by the bearing like a non abs axle would. So the tech is gonna try to remove those without damaging them, but he's not optimistic. Otherwise I'll need to purchase them as well.

Question now is, are the seals the same between abs and non abs? They look to be the same size and will fit and work. Being that the abs axle just has a larger and extended flange on it to house the abs ring, it seems the seals are positioned at the same position on the exle housing and the only difference is where the seal rides at on the axle itself...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  14. Jan 27, 2018 at 1:09 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    The axle seals for the ABS and Non-ABS are exactly the same, Part #90310-50006.

I really hope you watched my video and gave the shop specific instructions on the position of the inner retainer. Based off the response from the tech, it sounds like he was planning on using a cutting disk to take the ABS tone ring and inner retainer off instead of pulling off the parts like I do with the special tool and bearing splitter. The problem with cutting them off is accidentally going too far and cutting into the axle shaft itself thus giving a channel for the gear oil to get past the seal.

Did you ask him to flip the inner retainer for you, bevel facing the ABS gear as opposed to facing the seal? If you did, 5mm of polished axle showing above the retainer is perfect. If the inner retainer is in the original orientation, bevel facing the seal, 3mm of polished axle showing is perfect but has that inner retainer bevel riding very close to the inside of the axle housing.

Whatever you do, make sure you do the grease test to verify you have a good mating of the inner retainer and axle seal. Ideally, you want the lip of the seal riding dead center on the polished shoulder of the retainer. Hope the shop knows what they're doing and they don't screw up your axles or press on the parts wrong.

15. Jan 27, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the guy whos working on em is awesome. He works at my local Napa, and owns a 3rd gen 4runner himself and has done lots of work to it. He's already done my front wheel bearings recently, and that was a process as well as he had to wait on me to source a new spindle (which ended up being a 4x4 4runner spindle with abs) and swap the hubs for me to make it work for mine. Hasn't done a lot of toyota rear bearing work he said, at least one, but he did know the main process. Just not the fine details such as the new seal design, which I did explain and he agreed to do it like that.

So yeah, we've been coordinating the whole process throughout the day, as I've had to get additional parts and whatnot. We both decided that the abs gear will be left off, and just the additional retainer rings for the seals (including the other new bearing retainers that came with the non abs kit) will be pressed on. I picked up 2 retainer rings as well as new studs. Got the studs as I had thought about that while I was at the dealer, in case he buggered the threads up, but he didn't and had them pulled back thru by the time I got back to the shop.

So far he's gotten everything pressed off(got to watch him press out the axles) and tapped in the new bearings for now. He even insisted on coming in tomorrow (even though theyre closed) to finish pressing the new stuff on and git er done!!

16. Jan 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Cool. Sounds like you have the right guy for the job. I've now done this repair 6 times. 1 on a Non-ABS rig and 5 times on ABS rigs. I've got another one this coming Wednesday I'm doing for a friend's brother. I like doing this repair for people and saving them a bunch of coin.

NightProwler likes this.
  17. Jan 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Ride on. Yeah man, I may have mentioned this before regarding another video, but thanks, a TON. You rock dude, for making these awesome videos and all the additional info, tips and tricks, that you throw in as well. You've been a huge help with the work I've been doing to my rig, as these jobs arent the easiest. Let alone any tutorials being as detailed and thorough as I (as well as countless others as well I'm sure) would like. Especially for people like me that are still learning some of the more technical intricacies and workings of some of these bigger jobs, outside of the normal maintenance stuffs, that comes with our aging rigs. Leaving us to delve into these jobs with hope that someone here has put in the time and commitment to help others out in need whom arent inclined enough to do it alone. Not to mention a crisis saver for some I'd imagine, as a lot of people whom arent mechanically inclined enough, even for some of the simplest stuff, just sell their vehicles to get rid of the hassle because they dont know any better (or cant afford a shop or dealer to fix it) and could have fixed it easily and cheaper themselves with the proper sources and help, from people like you!

So yeah, I definitely appreciate your time and effort into making these videos. And look forward to any more that may come. I hope I might've been of help to others as well, if anyone runs into the same issue as I did. Still curious why my rig has an abs rear end in it. If that was a factory thing, or if someone at some point in its life swapped it. I know it's abs capable and these trucks are built the same with/without these options. But why there's an abs rearend in there versus thr non abs version has me curious. Seeing as the front spindles were Prerunner spindles and had zero abs components on them(not even capped sensor ports).

**Oh and another thing that crossed my mind (while at the dealership) is if the job could've been completed without those additional retainers, and only used the non abs kit. Seeing as the outer 'bearing' retainer isn't being used for anything except as a spacer basically, and not a 'seal' retainer, that it could've been reused. Allowing the two new retainer rings in the non abs kit to be used as the new inner seal retainers on my abs version.. Would save some money if anyone does have the same issue like I did, as the non abs kits are cheaper than the abs ones. Let alone someone buying each part at dealership price. They wanted $96 a piece for them abs gears!!! Although the kits (at least from low range offroad) are cheaper and do include genuine toyota parts. It would've been cheaper to order another (abs) kit versus the price of just two of those abs gears. But glad we found a solution for that aspect and couldve saved me more time and money if we had reused those outer retainers(but figured I would just get new ones since I was already there).

18. Jan 27, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Timmah!

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate it. I really do like helping people out and the responses I get from people are my favorite form of payment. Sean and I are making some revenue but I don't feel bad about it. People only have to sit through a short intro to a video and then can skip the ad. I chose skippable ads because I personally feel they are the least annoying. The revenue is coming from the advertising Google places on our videos and isn't costing the viewer anything. At this point, I'm considering the money we're making a reimbursement for all the money I've spent on tools and the huge amount of time we put into researching, filming, and editing the videos. Not to mention all the time I spend doing exactly this. Responding to questions and comments on our channel and helping people on forums just like this one.

The rearend in your rig was obviously swapped at some point. If your rig didn't come with ABS (has none of the sensors), it's pretty clear the rearend was swapped at some point.

You can absolutely save money on this repair by pulling off certain parts instead of cutting them off. I put money saving tips in the video description. When I do this job, I reuse the ABS tone ring and both retainers on each axle. This saves the person around $150 at online prices. The ABS gears are just a hunk of steel that rotates on the axle that the magnet on the sensor takes a reading from. For the retainers, I swap the positions. The outer retainer that was a place holder for the bearing is now placed on the inner position to mate up with the new axle seal. That retainer has no seal wear marks and is essentially new. The inner retainer that the original seal was riding on is moved to the outer position to be the place holder for the bearing. The seal over time wears off a microscopic amount of metal on the retainer and it's generally not the best idea to reuse this one in the same position. But, it can absolutely be used as a place holder for the bearing.

I'm stoked you're getting a lot of use out of our videos. I love hearing how our videos have empowered people to handle their own automotive work and that they have saved a ton of money in the process. The more people that find our channel, the happier we are. Happy Wrenching!

19. Jan 27, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Ah ok. I see you covered that already then. Lol. Yeah I admit I didnt watch the whole abs vid(although I did watch the entire non abs one), I skimmed thru that one today (was in a rush to get the axles in to the shop, along with a parts run, among other errands)to find the highlights regarding the abs gear and extra retainer, once I pulled my axle out and saw that abs gear! Now I'm regretting it a bit. Ha... Figured the rest was similar to the non abs version, but apparently I missed out on the other good stuff! Ha. Didnt even think about reusing both retainers and swapping them like you did, along with the abs gear. That makes better sense.

20. Jan 28, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool NEW DELHI FREIGHT TRAIN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    All 1st gen TRD e-locker rears are set up for ABS regardless if the truck actually has ABS or not.

Products Discussed in

To Top