1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear axle seal problem..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by musicmaan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    musicmaan

musicmaan [OP] Member

Member:
    Where the sun don't shine...... Literally
    not enough
    Hello all, I'm having problems getting my right rear axle seal to stop leaking on my '98 Tacoma. A couple years ago it was leaking, so I pulled it out, changed the inner seal, and bearing, and put it back together. Figured the problem was fixed.... it's not. I've changed the inner seal 4 times now, and it still leaks. keeps wrecking my brakes. I never did change the outer seal, but regardless, the oil shouldn't be getting past the inner seal. I have checked the bearing retainer that the seal rides on, and it looks to be fine, but it's the only other piece that I haven't changed.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone give me any ideas where to go next??

Thanks for reading,

MM

2. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    nofx230

nofx230 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Colorado Springs,CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 TACO
    yup currently having this problem started leaking back in 06 on my 2000 and fixed it right away, then right after about 1 month it was leaking again so i said fuck it and let it leak till i got sick of the smell of gear oil and changed it again in 2011, and boy lemme tell you what a mess! after i replaced it not even a month later started leaking again??? i think this time when i replace it I'm going to put a new axle in there,because back in 06 i had noticed a slight grove in the axle maybe .003 tops and i may swap out the spring on the seal from a smaller seal the help apply more pressure to help stop leaking other than that bearings are all good fluid is changed every 10,000 miles

3. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    You might check your axle vent to make sure it is letting air out. If it is malfunctioning, the pressure may be building up in the axle housing and forcing the gear oil out the seal.

Better yet to the vent relocation mod an put a capped breather fitting like the front axle has. You'll never have to worry about the one-way valve malfunctioning.

4. Mar 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    nofx230

nofx230 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Colorado Springs,CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 TACO
    Yeah breather mod was first thing I did years back. Had always did it with my old yotas

5. Mar 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    musicmaan

musicmaan [OP] Member

Member:
    not enough
    I have extended the breather up in to the fuel filler door a couple years ago, and the breather is fine, but I'm still having this problem...

6. Mar 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    nofx230

nofx230 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Colorado Springs,CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 TACO
    i honestly think that if the axle bearing are good, that the use of a slightly smaller spring on the seal will help fix the issue iv used this method on a old seal on a old toyota pickup to put more tension on the seal as it was just a cheap fix to stop the old leaking one and it worked, now i just gotta compare some seals and find one that will work

7. Mar 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    musicmaan

musicmaan [OP] Member

Member:
    not enough
    sounds like a plan... where would one get a smaller spring

8. Mar 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series LC
    Too many
    Hows the shaft where the seal seats? Any grooves? I'd check for run out on the axle next. I'd also just go ahead and replace bearing and the axle seal and the outer o ring.

And you are putting it in the right way yeah? Not sure if these can only go in one way or not.

9. Mar 14, 2012 at 5:09 AM
    nofx230

nofx230 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Colorado Springs,CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 TACO
    Lol you gotta be an idiot to put these seals in backwards,but Iv seen some crazy stuff.
    As for finding a smaller seal it don't need to be much smaller I have some spare camshaft seals from my supra that I think will work just gotta go to my storage unit and compare sizes if it's bout right I can give you guys the part number,the seals are bout 3 bucks a piece or you can always ask the guy at the local parts store to grab you a few diff size axle seals and just compare them. Not really a pain the real pain is the gear oil always leaking and for those who ain't got the extra money for a new axle this could be a cheap perm fix

10. Mar 14, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Any groove where the seal seats will cause a leak. A speedy sleeve will come with a new seal and a sleeve to put over the groove. Not sure if they make one for it, but it's worth looking into.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/skf/#

11. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    musicmaan

musicmaan [OP] Member

Member:
    not enough
    yeah, I'm working on getting a speedi sleeve right now, but, I'm in a small town, and when I go around asking for one, I get the deer in headlights look.

I just pulled the axle shaft out again today, and replaced the inner seal, thinking I might have somehow been warping it or something while putting it in. Anyways, I had my aircraft engineer install it this time, just for the purposes of having some one else do it and see what the results would be. Same problem, still leaking. The retainer looks fine where the seal rides on it, but I'm done f-ing around with it now. I think I'll just pull it out and take it to Toyota and have them replace everything. I'm sure the gear oil making its way through the bearing has not done it any good anyways. It's leaking so bad now I can't even drive the truck. Frustrating for sure!

12. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    musicmaan

musicmaan [OP] Member

Member:
    not enough
    Well, I think I just figured out the problem... after much research and looking at pictures of Toyota axles tonight, I think when I had the machine shop change the bearing a while back, they pressed the abs ring and bearing retainer on too far, and that's why it's been leaking ever since. I'll pull it back out tomorrow and confirm.

13. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    Airman76

Airman76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Ketchikan, AK
    Vehicle:
    Shop, Misc Toyotas
    We were stuck here but figured it out.
    The speedi sleeve for the rear axle, couldn't see it on here so did some research and measurements. Found the proper size is a NAPA 99212. Thought I'd pay it forward to you folks.

14. Mar 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM
    knuckleduster271

knuckleduster271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron Longrod Von Hug€nschlong
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 sr5 xtra cab
    881's, 5100's, soft 8's, elocker, matrix seats, smittybilt xrc8.
    I got a couple good axles if anybodys looking....

To Top