1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Brake Squeal.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by renmauzo, May 2, 2010.

1. May 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    renmauzo

renmauzo [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB in Timberland Mica.
    I've already searched the forums and I can't find much with the search terms in the thread title, so I was hoping that someone else had and fixed this problem so I'd know what to do:

On a 2010 4x4 Tacoma, my rear brakes squeal and LOUD. It's not just backing up, but when braking in drive as well.

So far I've tried readjustment, cleaning the drums with brake cleaner, and putting the shims to stop brake noise in. Nothing is working.

I tried using the TSB for brake squeal in reverse, but I was told by the dealer that my brakes' warranty is now voided because I use my truck, ya know, as a truck and the TSB doesn't cover supposed wear and tear; read: towing through dust and dirt, because that's what I do.

I've never experienced a truck that's squeal wouldn't be tamed by the things I've already tried, so any advice?

2. May 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Lube your drums!

Just kidding...jesus christ don't do that.

In all honesty, you've tried everything I can think of...my next step would be resurfacing...hope you don't need new drums...

3. May 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Maybe try resurfacing your drums? Check to see if the surface has a glaze. That can certainly cause squeaking.

4. May 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    PreRunner

PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    resurface drums and install ceramic pads.

5. May 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    renmauzo

renmauzo [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB in Timberland Mica.
    That's exactly what I didn't want to hear guys, but I guess the truth has to hurt a little bit.

I've only got 11,000 miles on the thing. I can't imagine I'd need new drums already. Or am I wrong? Every vehicle that I've ever had drums on left my possession with the OEM drums and brakes still in 'em.

6. May 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    biborado

biborado Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    My '10 with about 6k miles does the same. I just noticed it a few hundred miles ago. Not really sure if this is an adjustment issue or what, but it sure is annoying.

7. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    mjbirdie75

mjbirdie75 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cordova, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner White
    I just bought an '05 last week with 49K miles. I get a squeal from rears in the middle of the pedal's travel, usually just after the fronts grab, slowing from 40mph - 20mph and then nothing. It's also intermittent, so sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. But, when it does, it is the most annoying sound - gives me the douche chills. I was planning on having them reworked and was told by my mechanic it'll cost about $135-$190 depending on whether or not I want to go with a more premium product. WTF?

8. Jul 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Call Toyota corporate customer service. Unless there's something major you aren't telling us, there is no way a dealership can legitimately "void" your warranty because you tow (in dust and dirt) with a truck.

9. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    DaveW

DaveW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    elkhart in
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma accsess cab
    i got a 2011 4x4, squeals when you come to a slow stop, like in traffic, keep telling the dealer he greased the back of the pads , it worked for about 2 months, then started back up, he finally said i was the only one complaining out of hundreds of tacomas he sold, oh it started with 9 miles on it, come on toyota and read these posts , and do the right thing, your supposed to be the best, prove it!!

Products Discussed in

To Top