1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear chrome bumper rusting out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Motorshooter, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Dec 4, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    Not a pretty site, 07 Tacoma with 48K on the clock and only 1 owner-me:) and the rear chrome bumper is rusting badly from the back side out:mad: that much rust from a well taken care of truck is shocking:eek:

I discovered this last weekend when I was under the rear. I know I take great care of the blue mule, wash it when it needs it...or not, wash off and out the frame atleast 3 times a year and after ever snow fall:eek: which is not alot here in Va, so what gives? Is it another defect showing up in a poor quailty build? Does my taco have a thin skined bumper?

This spring I will take the bumper off and scrape the rust off and paint the inside with rust stopping paint:D but come on, Toyota trucks have a great history of being tough...or atleast they did.

How about your Tacoma...is it rusting in the rear chrome bumper?

2. Dec 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Mine has some surface rust forming in a little ding right by the license plate where the previous owner backed up too far into the trailer tongue. that will be taken care of soon when I color match the bumper.

I found some surface rust on the frame mounts right behind the front wheels. I sanded that down, primed, and sprayed my frame rails with spray-on beliner.

3. Dec 4, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    m_taker1

m_taker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bug deflecter, vent shades, Airaid Intake, Pop 'n lock, replaced chrome bumper with black bumper, replaced chrome grille surround with a black grille surround, blacked out logo in the front, debadged, center console lock, grom audio mp3/ipod,weathertech digital liners
    i had some surface rust starting on the chrome bumper also but I swapped it with a black bumper.

4. Dec 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    its not just toyota,everyone is using CHEAP steel(if u wanna call it that)these days.if u can push it in with your hand and make it buckle,u no they r junk.

5. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    man, i'm glad i don't live up north,that salt will eat your baby up.

6. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    yes it will,IF u dont take care of it.

7. Dec 4, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    The previous owner had the rear chrome bumper replaced under warranty on my 07 because of rust in 08.

8. Dec 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Meh, forced upgrade. Just gives you a good excuse to get a Demello/Allpro/ArmorTech/ARB/etc on there.

9. Dec 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    I might just hit the bone yards this spring and pull an Indigo Ink Pearl off a wreck and put it on:D...that would look C:):)L

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    Gringo

Gringo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 2wd AC SR5
    HID's, extra D-rings
    guy I work with picked up his 4wd new in Aug/Sept 2009; this is a photo of his bumper that he just sent me :eek:

[​IMG]

I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on mine!

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Might as well wait until spring and the salt stops for a while before making them replace it.

12. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Once you get any sort of hole, scratch or penetration of the chrome, the steel underneath will rust faster due to galvanic reactions with the chrome plating. It's possible that factors such as cost saving or tightening environmental regulations have led to lower quality chroming of parts destined for new cars, and that lower quality plating might have thin spots which interact with the environment almost like scratches or flaws and lead to accelerated rusting in the steel.

You could try screwing a zinc block (available in many sizesat most marine hardware stores) onto a non-visible spot on your bumper (maybe inside the bumper on the bottom where water might pool when it's wet) to prevent corrosion of the steel if the chrome isn't cutting it. Wouldn't take a very big block to get the job done, and don't worry when the zinc starts to corrode, 'cause that's what it's for.

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    kgs365

kgs365 Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4
    mine is an 2007 and its rusting under the license plate...the steeler is looking at it took pictures and is notifiying toyota...i hope they stand behind it...its more then surface rust...if they dont what good is the warrantee on the body?

14. Jan 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    Gringo

Gringo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 2wd AC SR5
    HID's, extra D-rings
    Interesting idea. Do you really think that would work out of water as well as it does immersed in water?

15. Jan 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    You can remove the rust with a steel wool pad, it won't keep it from coming back, but it will get it looking as good as new. Chrome just doesn't do well with road salt and magnesium chloride. The bumper on my old 4runner did the same thing... it's inevitable.

16. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    wow. I had a 99 Ford F150 with Chrome bumpers. I got rid of it last year and they never had a speck of rust on them. We have a long winter season with alot of road salt used.

17. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    Interesting idea, but wouldn't you want to use Magnesium, since that's more for fresh water? Unless he is driving through salt water, then Aluminum, since its best against all types of water. I know Aluminum is what we are switching to on our boat, since we are usually in fresh water, but now and then hit some salt water. Just an idea...

18. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    Gringo

Gringo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 2wd AC SR5
    HID's, extra D-rings

ya but... after one month of road salt exposure? Truck was new in September and our first real snow was just 3 weeks ago!

19. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Its obviously not typical at that age, salt or no salt.

They'll replace it.

20. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD SR5 DCab OR
    ToyTec 2.5" Bilstein/Eibach lift w/rear AAL, WeatherTec mats, Leer topper, Sock Monkey decals; Grillcraft
    just noticed my '06 rusting near the plate and on one side near the rubber...in MT we don't have salt, but the state does use a de-icer cocktail...it is a bummer. the previous owner did a LOT of road driving, but these spots are prett protected from rocks etc.

To Top