1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear collision advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by m3zy6, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    I was rear-ended last night (thats what she said...) and wanted to see what you guys had to say about the damages.
    Ive been under the truck, and cant see anything that stands out to me, but I really dont know what to look for besides
    bent/twisted metal. The bumper is shot, obviously, but it doesn't look like the hitch has been bent at all.

My main issue is that the front of the bed
    contacted the rear of the cab in the impact, enough to leave a crease and crack the paint. That's a decent amount of
    flexing, imo. Please don't start a "fully-boxed frame" discussion in here please, I'm just wondering if anyone knows
    of any specific points I should look at before the adjuster looks at it on Monday.

All in all I think the truck did really well. She was driving a Lexus ES300, and it was pretty mangled.

I'm hoping that there isn't anything serious and I can just have a check cut, then get some aftermarket. Fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE-
    I got under the truck again today, and found that my frame is bent. Its actually "wavy", with a bunch of bends. The pics show them a little, but they are much more noticeable in person.
    I obviously want a new frame or it totaled out, but is there anything that says they have to do either? What recourse do I have if they say they want to "straighten" it? I have heard all of the stand your ground arguments, but is there anything that actually says what they are required to do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE #2-
    I got my own estimate today and it came out to $3084.24 without any frame repairs. That does include a R & I for the bed/frame though. The guy said he couldn't even give me a ballpark figure for repairing the frame without taking the bed off and putting it on a laser rack. I am guessing the the total w/frame repair will be easily over $5k. I have an appointment at the Toyota dealer tomorrow to get my GEICO estimate, hopefully they can give me more info.

2. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Are you going through your insurance company or the person who hit you? I was rear ended a while back also and went through my insurance company to make sure everything was fixed the way it should. I just don't trust the other guys adjuster to make an estimate. .02

3. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    LUSETACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    BTW now is a good time to get a color matched bumper!:D

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    the bumper really doesnt look that bad but idk about the cab. thats pretty crazy

btw that toyota sticker looks really badass

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    Why are there so many haters on chrome. That is completely not what this post is about. The guy needs help. Maybe he likes the chrome bumper. And I see your one of those people that the ugly black rim look. So tired of people on here hating what people do to THEIR TRUCKS.

6. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    LUSETACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I am trying to help dude. Don't get sand in your vag.

7. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Funny that you are posting about the chrome versus black thing "That is completely not what this post it about" without adding anything to what the post IS about...

OP- Is that cab damage just on the one side??
    I would check the bed mounts for signs of flexing. Also look along the bottom of the frame for creases. Any warping on the bedsides??

8. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    Wow original. I don't see anywhere in the post where it states help me get a color matched bumper please.

9. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    dude. your further helping derail this thread even tho there was really no dispute at all

chill out

to the OP sorry i dont have any good info to add but X2 what brunes said

10. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Chilling out is a great idea.

11. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP... I'd have insurance cut me a check and go get an nice plate rear bumper!

12. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    OK, you are on the right track with your thinking. Not sure if this is first or third party insurance (yours or hers) but the estimate should be the same. You will want to see Frame-tie down and measure on the estimate so they can very that it is in line. Also 4 wheel alignment. They will have repair time to the cab and also have to R and I the bed to access it. The damage on white vehicles is very difficult to see, run your hand along the bedsides and also look at it closely from several angles. Make sure that your access cab doors are aligning properly and opening and closing properly. Good Luck.

13. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Thanks guys.

She has Geico, so Im going to give them a shot. The agent has already made it clear that they will do whatever it takes to get the truck right, we'll see.

Brunes- There is a crease on both sides, but the drivers side(the one pictured) is worse than the passengers.

The bumper really doesn't look that bad in the pics or from 10 ft away, but its actually pretty jacked up.

fjm- Those are all good ideas. Besides the two spots where the bed met it, the cab seems to be in pretty good shape.
    All my gaps are good and everything looks square. I'm going to go over the whole truck again tomorrow and write down everything I find.

LV- That's what I wanted to do, but at this point I'm more worried about getting the truck straight. If they'll throw it on a 4 wheel alignment and it checks out fine, I'll definitely be getting an Armor Tech/CBI/KMA tire carrier bumper.

14. Sep 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Updated first post with pics of bent frame, and more questions.

15. Sep 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    OP, sorry about your accident same thing happened to me last year only worst...I needed a whole new bed, tail gate, bumper and tai l lights. I got rear ended by a drunk driver and lucky for me I forgot to remove my tow hitch that night which prevented him from driving under my truck. The repair bill came to a whopping $11K for sure I thought my insurance was going to total my truck. But lucky for me Tacomas hold their value really well and they decided to repair it. I was only a few payments away from owning my truck and I didnt want another 4 years of payment. The shop I took it to made sure I had no frame damage but the back of the cab had damages on both sides. On a possitive note the back half of my truck is a 2010 model:D.
    Good luck hope everything works out for you man.

16. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I can help you out with a "ballpark" frame replacement cost.

I was rear ended back in Feb of this year, and my frame was replaced as part of the repairs.

The total repair bill for my truck was $21,000.00. The new Toyota frame part alone was $5,200.00. With the labor, replacing the frame was about $8,500.00 and the body shop manager told me that if they were doing just the frame, it would be in the shop for 6 weeks. They had my truck for 3 1/2 months.

The OEM frame is made using a "hydroforming" technique, so techincally, they are not allowed to straighten a bent frame. It must be replaced. This was according to the shop where my work was done, and they are a Lexus dealer.

17. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Good info Rocket. I'm having it repaired at the Toyota dealership, and will talk to them about it. If that's the case they will total it, no doubt. I'd actually like the new frame though, it took me months to find/buy this truck.

18. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    vince72

vince72 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vince
    orange county
    Vehicle:
    08 tacome pre runner
    stock
    fyi geico really sux. if you have a better insurance i would use that. geico likes to use aftermarket and used parts whenever possible. they are really cheap man

Products Discussed in

To Top