1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear dif problem......help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gore05, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dec 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    gore05

gore05 [OP] Member

Member:
    cali
    Vehicle:
    05 taco,3inch hbs level kit,2 inch add a leaf
    blacked out headlight housing, 3 inch level kit. 2 inch add a leaf
    I was driving yesterday and my rear dif light came on. now it wont go off. the rear dif button does not turn it off. I have a 05 taco prerunner two wheel drive with a dif lock switch. nothing seems to work. I noticed today that when i drove it down the street after about five minutes the light went off but caqn back on, on my way home. the abs light comes on with it also.

2. Dec 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I had this problem and the diff lock light would be illuminated all the time, but only at maybe 90% of total output as it looked a little faded. The light would also periodically fade in and out to different levels of brightness (but not often). The ABS light would usually illuminate shortly after the diff lock light would. Both lights would come and go periodically but remained lit maybe 90% of the time. It usually took a few minutes for them to illuminate after starting the vehicle.

I have had this problem twice. To try and fix it the first time the dealership diagnosed it as the diff lock actuator and replaced it - but it didn't solve the problem.

It both cases replacing the No. 1 transfer Indicator Switch on the rear axle solved the problem. Basically the switch is broken and indicating that the locker is engaged when it actually isn't. This fools the truck into believing the locker is engaged, illuminating the light and disabling the ABS.

No.1 Transfer Indicator Switch (located on diagram page 3) Installation of No. 1 transfer Indicator Switch (located on page 21)

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300

Check the pink/red section of the manual. I don't know where I put mine but I remember it saying it indicates a problem.

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The more I think about wanting locking rr diff on my prerunner, the more threads I've started noticing like this and other worse scenario ones about the ring/pinion issues. Starting to think I may just be better off without it, especially as much offroading as I do & how little weather related needs pop up in this neck of the woods. Thanks for posting tho, knowledge = pwr.

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    gore05

gore05 [OP] Member

Member:
    cali
    Vehicle:
    05 taco,3inch hbs level kit,2 inch add a leaf
    blacked out headlight housing, 3 inch level kit. 2 inch add a leaf
    Thanks Fortech...for the info. You hit the nail on the head with your reply, everything you said your truck did mine is doing the same. Good thing is now that I know what to look for, I can call the dealer and get the part. Thanks you saved me some serious cash.:D

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    No problem!:D

Should be a simple fix you can handle yourself as well. Not much different than installing a spark plug!

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    ekelley1985

ekelley1985 KelTek

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab longbed
    Mine is doing the exact thing. I have a 07 Tacoma access cab 4x4 trd off road with 40k miles. Does this fall under warranty?

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    I had mine replaced twice under warranty, but I was still under the bumper to bumper warranty. I don't know if its covered under power-train or not...

Products Discussed in

To Top