1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear diff breather.....

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Discokiller, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Sep 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM
    Toycoma2021

Toycoma2021 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California, Temporarily
    Vehicle:
    2021 Access Cab, LB, AT, V6, Off Road
    I would say true, but at so low of a concentration it should be meaningless. It would only be a drop at a time into the diff. A good long run on the road would easily burn that off in the oil. The truck had other breathers with hoses installed too.

2. Sep 23, 2022 at 8:07 PM
    Desert Dog

Desert Dog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Gatos
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB
    Work in progress
    Correct, theory is as you drive, the differential heats up and the air inside expands. If there is nowhere for the air to go, you’ll build up pressure in the differential and risk blowing out a seal or push oil out which is not good for your drum brakes. The one way valve lets this air escape so this does not happen. Eventually you stop, the differential cools down and air contracts creating a vacuum in the differential. Air gets sucked in past the seals which are more tolerant to suction than pressure. Everything fine because your seals should be high and dry when you park the truck.

The problem arises if you are fording a stream deep enough that front differential seal is submerged. The cold water suddenly cools the axle and internal air contracts creating a suction. If air cannot freely flow into the differential through a high and dry, two way breather, then water will get sucked in through the seals.

Hypothetically, if the air in the differential is at 200 F and gets suddenly cooled to 60 F then the air will try to contract to 80% of original volume which it can do if it sucks in 20% equivalent volume of water, i.e. we’re talking about more than a few drops. Actual numbers will be less given there is a lot of hot metal in the differential not in contact with outer walls so it will take more than a few minutes for the air temperature to drop to water temperature.

Old Man Tan 4x4 likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:07 PM
    JoePun

JoePun @tacojoe_22 (Instagram)

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Easy to install and you have options on where you want to install the breather. I installed it in the bed cubby. 60CEB89B-E3BD-4BF3-BD2F-FC19FBB70869.jpg

D9EE9C13-779C-4074-9B39-C15DF561C672.jpg

4. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    criz302

criz302 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHRIS
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    I just went thru hurricane Ian here in central Florida. Had to drive thru 1-3 feet of water at times. I bought the ARB breather kit a year ago and never got around to installing it. It is on my list of things to do now. Wish I had it done before.

Products Discussed in

To Top