1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Diff Clunk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PackCon, May 21, 2018.

1. May 21, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    PackCon

PackCon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Lately I’ve noticed that when I come to a stop and then accellerate to pull forward and turn right I get a clunk coming from the rear end.

I think its the diff.

2013, 81k miles, rear diff fluids changed with synthetic at 60k.

I need to double check fluid level now but I checked about a month ago and it was fine.

I started noticing a few months ago but only on one particular turn so I figured I was hitting a bump or something I wasn’t seeing. Now its more prevelent and happens more often when turning right and accellerating.

Any ideas?

2. May 21, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Check your u bolts for torque

GHOST SHIP likes this.
  3. May 21, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I was getting a clicking/rattling noise in neutral when braking in my 6spd and also a clunky feeling when id be crusing in gear, letting off the gas, and then getting back on it quickly, and after torqueing the ubolts down, it all went away..

4. May 24, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    joemyself

joemyself Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey man, I was having the same issue as well. Found out it was something called "Axel Wrap". When the truck is overloaded the axel does some weird shit underneath and you get that clunk sensation after braking and accelerating. I only notice this when I'm camping and there is a lot of weight in the bed. I felt it the whole time braking/accelerating this past weekend when we were camping. When I took out all of the camping gear the clunking sensation went away completely. Do you have weight in the bed constantly? I would look into getting some beefier springs and that will most likely get rid of it. I too thought it was the transmission but turns out it's not. Hope this helps.

5. Jun 25, 2018 at 4:30 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    as odd as this sounds.....after cleaning the throttle body and changing plugs, i unhook battery for a while to reset the computer.

essentially, having the transmission reprogram itself seems to have quelled the issue (only for a while i am sure).

i am now 30 days after that and i have little to no rear end clunk.
    and believe me, it was so bad that my girls would not do any practice driving because it scared them.

6. Jul 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    Pdog7

Pdog7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    OME BP-51 Nitto 285's C4 Low Pro Bumper Mobtown Skids
    2018 TRD ORLB 3500 miles and I'm now getting a rear end clunk after stopping then starting. Ubolts are tight. Anyone else hear of this?

7. Jul 19, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    More than likely it's axle wrap. My 2013 has done it since new and I have the TSB rear leafs.

The other one thats out there is a "Bump" from the rear when you come to a stop, almost feels like someone behind you hit you lightly. My understanding is thats the transmission downshifting to the lowest gear after you stopped. I've gotten used to it.

8. Jul 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Grease the driveshaft zerks first and foremost...if they're running dry it will clunk. Check u-bolt torque as well as shackle/hangar bolt torque.... I got wicked clunking especially when turning from the rear end when my front hangar bolt came loose on the driver's side.

9. Jul 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    knottyrope

knottyrope Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knotty
    Bahstun
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco CCLB 4x4 SR5 4.0
    Pads, rotors, ujoints, 5900K Super White Xenon HID Halogen Bulb Fog Light
    take it to a dealer

b_r_o and Sandman614 like this.
  10. Jul 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    1 vote for u-joints

11. Jul 19, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    Pdog7

Pdog7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    OME BP-51 Nitto 285's C4 Low Pro Bumper Mobtown Skids
    Thanks for all the replies. I should've added that I have OME BP-51 lift with Dakar AAL. I'll check the U-bolts and re torque if needed. If that doesn't get it I will take to the dealer and see what they have to say. Might as well go ahead and take advantage of the warranty period. I've found some other threads about clunking with the dakars so I'll look into that as well.

12. Jul 19, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    @PacCon the OP. Did you find the cause on your truck?

To others, don't forget the spline shaft under the black rubber bellows boot on the rear dive shaft. That was the source of the clunk on mine. I followed a Ford TSB I found for the same complaint which involves cleaning/regreasing that section with a mix of good PTFE grease and high moly grease. Cured mine. FWIW, moly is expensive and almost all moly greases you find in the auto parts stores has more moly in the name than the product, being only a few percent. So that is not what is meant by high moly. Try to find some with say 50%, you may have to special order.

13. Jul 20, 2018 at 4:31 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    won't hurt to do this too.
    i have yet to have it come back.

i would not have believed it.

Products Discussed in

To Top