1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Diff Filler Hole is Stripped

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by ilovetacos, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Apr 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    It all started about a month ago when I went to change the rear diff fluid...

I went to remove the filler plug and it just spun. I didn't attempt to remove it because I wasn't sure if it was the plug or hole that was stripped. I assumed it was the plug because the hole is more durable. I went to my local dealer and was able to purchase a couple filler plugs. Went back home drained the oil and then tried to remove the filler plug. Well it didn't want to come out. It just spun both ways. I pulled out while loosening it and it wouldn't come out...

Long story short I ended up drilling the plug out (probably not the best way but was in a bit of a hurry). Found that the plug and the holes were both stripped. Looking at the filler hole I thought I could tap it. Went down to Harbor Freight, bought a tap and die set and was actually able to re-tap the hole. When I put the new filler plug in I didn't use a torque wrench because I didn't want to tighten it too much and strip the new "more fragile" hole. I just hand tightened it snug.

All was good until today when I noticed the filler plug leaking. Well I assumed the plug became loose because it wasn't properly torqued. So I went to re-tighten the plug just now using care not to strip it and again it is just spins. I didn't attempt to loosen it because I don't want to remove the plug and the be unable to put it back it. There isn't a lot of oil leaking but it definetely needs to be fixed.

So what are my options now?

Should I attempt to re-tap the hole?

Should I take it to a professional?

Should I run it off a cliff and start over?

Should I weld the existing filler plug closed and tap a new hole???

2. Apr 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Almost there

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    AFE pro dry s, Husky X-act Contour
    Push it over a cliff and start over :D

3. Apr 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    helicoil maybe?

4. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan Bam-Ba-Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 - Black Betty
    Pelfreybilt plate bumper, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, fog lights anytime
    i dont know if a helicoil will hold to high torque like that, ive only used them for small stuff

5. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    It is paid off and I have full coverage insurance...Hmmm.

I did a couple searches here and the heilcoil idea came up but it wasn't recommended because of what D Dan said.

6. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i said maybe LOL

7. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    helicoil would slip out. There is another thread on either here or TTORA that some guy was having the same problem. There is another product like the helicoil, but ment for through holes (like the fill hole and not a hole that ends like the helicoil is made for).

8. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight East Bound and Down

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SE Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Trail Limo
    Skyjacker Platinum Coilovers w/ 16" 750# King springs, Skyjacker rear leafs, FJ TRD SE wheels, 285/75/16 MTZ's, Piaa 520 Smr Driving Lights, Yakima Rack, Bestop Canopy, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Kenwood DNX5120 Navi, Fog Light Mod, Driving Light Mod, BHLM, Scanguage II on Blendmount, TC uca's, ARB Heavy Duty air compressor, ARB Rear Locker, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, ARB Front Bumper, Relentless Fab Rear Bumper w/ custom bed protection, WARN M8000
    The filler plug should be at 36 ft lbs.

9. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    krans

krans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Huntington beach/ West min duh
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport mall crawler
    Icon extended travel with resi front and rear,Camburg UCA, All pro standard leaf pack, Fogs anytime, General grabbers AT2,Custom stainless steel brake lines,bed box, Bestop soft top,50' light bar, amber rigid pods,CBI ditch mounts with LED pods,TRD intake,Anti dark hoodlights/rock light/LED whip,FX-R retros and Gibson catback..more mods to come
    Maybe an option would be re tapping the threads next size up along with a new filler bolt.

10. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Aries bull bar, Hella 500FF driving lights, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    I believe that was a Keensert.

11. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    Sounds right. Thanks for clarifying.

12. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Re tap the hole and install a larger plug. 10 mins, and done.

13. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Just a thought...would a large nut welded over the fill hole and a short bolt in place of the drain plug be an option?

14. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    JohnnYp

JohnnYp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    throttle body spacer k&N cold air intake stage 2 clutch kit Gibson cat back exhaust kit bed liner and rocker panel lined

^^^ X2

lil teflon tape wouldnt hurt to :wave:

15. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    Would work, but there are better options.

16. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    doormanndan

doormanndan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Inland Empire CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco pre runner
    Take the plug out again and clean it up as best as you can. Chase the threads with the tap again and re-clean. Use several layers of Teflon tape on the plug and try again. Also I think Loctite makes a thread sealer and perhaps another product that will fill voids. A second option would be to go to the next US NF bolt thread size and re-tap, use grease on the tap to help trap some of the shavings. As far as sealing a threaded hole that is not a tapered like a pipe fitting, you could use a o ring or a bronze washer and some silicone underneath the head of the bolt. Be sure to cut the bolt down to the correct length so it has no chance to interfere with the diff

Good luck
    Dan L

17. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    I would re-tap it too. The hardest for you will may be to find the tap... (as most hardware stores here only carry small sizes.)

18. Apr 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    ilovetacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Thanks for the response guys!

I'm going to use doormandan's 1st suggestion. If that doesn't work I'll re-tap to a larger size.

You can get the tap and die set at Habor Freight. It worked well the first & only time I used it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-pie...ide-coated-alloy-steel-tap-die-set-41452.html

19. Apr 12, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    You could also try a self tapping drain plug from a truck parts place. Just get a size large enuf to cut a little bit out of the hole that's there. I would think that if the plug has done the same thing twice you are out of metal to use at that size. Gotta go bigger.

20. Apr 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    Tckwarrior

Tckwarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Damascus OR
    Vehicle:
    08 RegCab Superwhite
    3 inch revtek lift,American Eagle 197 Black Wheels 17x9 Boltpattern 6x5.5 , 285/70/17's with BFG km2s U-haul class 3 tow hitch, Better built toolbox. Trail-gear 58 inch Rock-sliders
    Buyers beware

To Top