1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Diff lock issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spir22, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    spir22

spir22 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort-Coulonge Qc,
    Vehicle:
    Tocoma TRD off road
    Hey guys,

I have a 2008 tacoma trd off road and have had my truck in and out of the garage trying to fix the rear diff lock, it will engage once every 20 time or more I try it, I know they changed the motor that ingages the rear diff lock and that didnt work. So, they finally came to a conclusion that maybe the tires were the problem, that maybe it needed equaly used tires (or new) because they say they added new tires on it and it worked fine. I'm a little skeptical about that one, Could they be right? considering we are talking a Off road vehicule.

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    spir22

spir22 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort-Coulonge Qc,
    Vehicle:
    Tocoma TRD off road
    Yes, tried turning the wheels from side to side and still nothing.

3. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD OR C/M 5.7l 4x4
    Try revving it up a little and you have to give it a minute... You are in 4 lo correct?

4. Feb 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I know mine won't engage if I press the button and just sit there. I have to drive a little.

5. Feb 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series LC
    Too many
    turn switch to 4 hi, check it's engaged

engage 4 lo, check it's engaged

push locker button and slowly roll forward while turning the steering wheel sharp in either direction, if diff lock does not engage, slowly reverse while turning sharply.

If diff lock does not engage it's probably something else.

Tire size and wear shouldn't matter.

The way it works is you have a splined collar that has to mate and slide into place, sometimes it takes a little rotation to get the splines to line up. When you turn, the axle shafts spin at different speeds and allow it to mate. You can turn because of the differential, which is very similar to running different sized tires on the same axle, your diff compensates for the different sizes by allowing one shaft to turn faster than the other (which can lead to premature wear). So you can see it shouldn't matter. The splined collar just has to line up.

6. Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM
    spir22

spir22 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort-Coulonge Qc,
    Vehicle:
    Tocoma TRD off road
    hey guy's

First thing I did this morning at 5am was to sit in my truck and try everything you guys suggested' I turn my wheels side to side and and moving the truck either front or back and out of 10 test IT worked!! Wow I just can't beleive it! I'll go and do some other test during the day just to to make sure I wasnt dreaming lol. I don't know I we could miss something like that, This info should be added in the Toyota owner's manual.

So Thanks a million for taking time to help me with this, I'll check it out again later and let you guys know,
    Thanks again!

To Top