1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear differential drain plug thread strip

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mikenel22, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    mikenel22

mikenel22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner SR5 TRDoffroad
    Deck Plate Mod, Debadged, SNUGtop HI-Liner
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the site, but have already taken advantage of a lot of the cool mods and maintenance advice on here. Thank you for the help!

This brings me to my problem...

I was trying to change out my rear diff fluid, (after reading the "how to" thread) unfortunately I got confused with my "righty tighty" "lefty loosey," given that the drain plug is upside down, and yes I feel absolutely retarded. After pulling on this plug (in the wrong direction) for almost an hour...I realized my mistake. Unfortunately it was too late as it seems the threads on the inside of the plug itself have been stripped. The proper socket size (24mm) fits on the plug with no problems, however it just spins and spins and spins and never comes out. I brought it to my local mechanic who verified that it was in fact the threads that were stripped...and said he could not fix it, and so he referred me to a local differential shop as he thought that they were going to have to take the diff apart and fix it from the inside (said that this other shop, being specialized could do it for much cheaper.) This means big bucks... and given my current broke college student status I would like to, and kind of NEED to.. find another way.

I searched around for awhile for a similar thread, however I could not find anyone who has had this particular problem. If anyone has experience with this issue I would greatly appreciate the help.

I drive a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner v6.

Thanks again for all of the help!

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Taking the diff apart isn't a big deal, just a bunch of bolts and most likely a gasket to put it back together. As far as fixing your problem, they'll probably drill out the old bolt, tap the diff cover and put in a new bolt. As long as they aren't dicks, it shouldn't be too bad. since you stripped the threads, I'd be worried about it leaking so I wouldn't put if off too long. Hopefully you didn't crack the diff when you were cranking down on it! I'm not sure if it's a tapered bolt or not.

Another option, maybe find a junk yard and get a new/used differential cover. You'd still need the new gasket to install but might be a cheaper route.

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    mikenel22

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thank you so much for your help, I'll search some junkyards around town for a new diff cover. Looking at it that seems to be the easiest route as the diff cover has higher edges around the drain plug itself, I'd be nervous to tap and not be able to find a working sized plug. Thanks again for the input, makes me less worried about the job.

4. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    The diff covers are not removable on Tacomas the only way to fix this is re-tap the hole. This is not hard just a pain the 3rd needs to be removed and the hole drilled and tapped if the metal is thick enough for it you should be good. if not you will have to drill and weld on a new drain hole I'm sure a diff shop and fab something up but it might cost you a few bills.

You can always do this http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-63/Kit-for-modifying-steel/Detail.bok

This is the only removable thing the 3rd member the cover on the other side is welded on.
    1008_4wd_092001_toyota_tacomarear_third__0044f7218a576da1296dff9df84fa1f12a5aa0a5.jpg

5. Jul 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    mikenel22

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the Reply Jlee. Let me get this right.. I remove the 3rd ( the part that runs between the drive shaft/axle and differential,) drill out the bolt, tap it and replace bolt. Am I going to have to remove the current strips threads till it is smooth, then retap, or can I just drill out bolt and retap? I guess I didn't really know what you were referring to by "if the metal is thick enough you should be good." Could you clarify this and like the tapping drilling process for me?

Sorry, not very mechanically inclined but I'm learning, and people like you help a whole lot thanks again bud.

6. Jul 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Yeah where the threads are it should be a little tube that's tapped if its not thick enough to drill and tap you will have to replace it with somthing like the one in the link I posted.

7. Jul 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    mikenel22

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cool got it now, thank you.

Products Discussed in