1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential Leak after Lift Blocks Install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Hilts, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oct 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Hilts

Hilts [OP] New Member

Member:
    hi, i own a 2004 TRD Tacoma. i installed a 1.5" lift block kit to level it, on the rear axle last week and the ride has been more harsh. maybe i need an alignment?

so i've also been hearing a clunk sound every time i go in reverse out of the driveway, which i understand might be the slip yoke needing to be regreased. but i just noticed that a small oil stain on the front of the rear differential has appeared and now i'm a little worried cause she has never leaked anything in her 150k and i'm worried maybe the lift blocks were a bad idea.

my question is do you think i should get rid of the lift blocks and if so why did the rear differential start to leak all of a sudden? thankx for any help,

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    The clunk may be due to the u-bolts not tight enough, re-torque them.

Don't know how the lift would cause a small leak. Did the blocks cause the front of the differential to tilt up or down? Some blocks have a slight angle to them.

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Re-torque the u-bolts as mentioned above and also check for plan in the u-joints on the drive shaft for the clunk.

Blocks wouldn't cause a differential to leak. It might have exaggerated an existing problem or, by changing the angles of the axle to the drive shaft, caused the front seals to leak but that would mean the seals were going out anyways. Are you actually losing any oil or is there just a little oil staining on the front of the diff? If you park in the same spot every night, start looking under the truck for oil on the ground. That stain on the differential might be 50k miles old.

Products Discussed in

To Top