1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear disc brakes?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by s.wilson, May 20, 2020.

1. May 23, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    4BYTOY

4BYTOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    X2 enough said

2. Jun 2, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Kanween

Kanween Olympic Lawn Dartest

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport, Barcelona Red, M/T
    A home made bed topper/rack thing that actually works really well
    After all the salt they throw up here in upstate NY, I'd pay for a front drum conversion! Calipers seem to be a wear item these days. My Tacoma's have held up better than anything else in my family's fleet, but still, the drum brakes literally never seem to malfunction just due to salt because they are so much better protected from it. Maybe not trendy, good looking, or as effective for dissipating heat, etc, but they don't get shitted up with mud on the trails, they don't get as much salt in the workings, and they don't seem to wear out. My 2002 Taco had 200k and I sold it with the original brake shoes and drums still fitted!

I'm surprised all of the manufacturers have moved from drums like they have. They are still cheaper and should get you past your braking requirements for NHTSA. And if your pedal feel is bad, it isn't necessarily the fault of drum brakes. Just drive a Chevy pickup, you need to push the pedal down like three feet before those four discs engage, and they're ALL like that!

3. Jun 2, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    ToyoTaco25

ToyoTaco25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Super-White DCSB 6-Speed
    PROCOMP 4" D-BAG LIFT (TO BE REPLACED), AMP RESEARCH POWERSTEPS, 17 " MOTO METAL WHEELS, HANKOOK DYNAPRO 285/70-R17, MAGNAFLOW, AFE COLD AIR INTAKE, DIPPED BADGES/GRILL
    If they still made things to last, they wouldn't make any money on replacement parts or the labor associated with it.

Kanween likes this.
  4. Jun 2, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    Color_Me_Taco

Color_Me_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OffRoad
    ADD, Rigid, Bilstein, OME, DBcustomz, XD, Nitto
    I'm running a BBK from SOS performance on the front. The pads arrived pre sintered so no break in was necessary. As I drove around under normal conditions, I didn't feel a huge difference.
    One night going to work I had to stand on the breaks to avoid hitting a deer. Holy hell. Thats where the money is. And the look absolutely frikking killer!!

Products Discussed in

To Top