1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Disc's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Streaking10 Taco, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    Streaking10 Taco

Streaking10 Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North East Bay
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC-SB Pre-Runner Off-Road
    Icons in front, Icon Tubular UCA's, Dakars w/MX6 Shocks, Redline hood supports, FlyZeye
    I noticed that the FJ has rear disc brakes. Is that the same rear axle as on the Tacoma? I want to install rear disc's, and this might be the way to go...

2. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    Scotty3

Scotty3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    charley
    Elverta
    Vehicle:
    2011 4WD TRD Off Road
    too many to list
    I'm interested in this as well. I hope someone can help with this.

3. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    do you race your truck? if not, rear discs are not needed. imo

4. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I work mine and yes they would be nice to have

5. Oct 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Yes the axles are mostly the same, but no they are not identical. Not trying to dissuade you, it's not just a simple swap. You'll need a larger master cylinder and most likely a manual brake proportioning valve for the rear.
    And for what? You'll stop faster with the factory drums (albeit they will fade faster than disks). Unless you're racing your truck, brake fade is not going to be an issue. And...drums last longer.
    Do some searches, or PM one of the mods, mjp2, and ask him first hand about his brakes. I'm sure he'll have no problem giving you his story.

6. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Well said. X2

7. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    I put SOS Performance rear disc conversion ( 5 lug ) on my x-runner. I also had their big brake kit in the front. Didn't have to do anything to up grade the master. Also had big ass ( 22x9 and 22x10 ) heavy ass Asanti rims ( rear tire size 295/25-22 ). Truck stopped on a dime. Disk brakes are easier to maintain but I think I paid $1500. for the conversion. You'll have to do some research for a six lug though.

8. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:22 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    This kit uses the 4Runner rear disc parts;

http://www.tundraracing.com/proseriesprerunner.htm

I agree with everything everyone has stated so far about disc brakes and I want to do this eventually. But plan on members coming into this thread saying something like
    "This one guy did it and he had nothing but problems" or "Drum brakes are better, why do you want disc's". It happens all the time everytime there is a thread like this.

9. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Nobody said drums were better than disks.
    The point is you're taking a truck that has the best in class stopping and removing the best in class part. Yes it can be done. Yes it's going to cost a pretty penny. Yes the MS will work, but the initial pedal feel is going to feel like it's going to the floor because your taking a MS that was designed to push two tiny wheel cylinders to now push two rather large single piston caliper. Again...I encourage you to search as this has been discussed many times. Here's something to get you started. In the end, your money, your mods.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/114639-rear-disc-conversion.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/135690-rotar-disc-conversion.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/68025-drum-disc-brake-conversion.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/61099-tacoma-rear-brake-disc-conversion.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/28704-rear-disc-brakes.html

10. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle:
    Tonka
    Easier to maintain, yes, but unless you get stainless disks, they'll need MORE maintenance, especially on the back end of a pickup. SUV and car applications tend to be better for rear disks than pickups because the back end load is more consistent on them. With a pickup, you need rear brakes that can support a much wider range of loads, which basically means that for an empty load, they would have to be significantly oversized. Oversized disk brakes can cause problems when it comes to scraping off the light rust buildup that you can get even just sitting in a damp environment overnight. If you get this too much, you can end up with significant rust on the disk surface.

Drum brakes are protected from the elements, and take more contact pressure to stop equally to a disk, so rust isn't nearly as much of a problem with them. Drum brakes tend to be more difficult to maintain, but require substantially less maintenance.

The emergency brake is also a trivial implementation for a drum brake. For a disk brake, it is something of a pain in the butt. I've seen pickups with rear disk, that also have small drums on the back of the rotors. Sounds OK in theory, but since you wouldn't be using those drums to stop, you would never be scraping the rust off them, they deteriorate very quickly and end up being entirely ineffective. These drums are also so small that they couldn't possibly be used to stop the vehicle in an emergency. If they were, then you have full drum brakes, in which case you're duplicating the brakes anyway.

I believe that the safety rules involve having a secondary braking system that is independent of the hydraulic brake system, which means cable drive. The two options you get are either a hybrid disk/drum setup like I've described, or a secondary cable-operated caliper.

11. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    DON'T DO IT!!!! :argue:

are your current brakes not satisfying you?

12. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    This is just like taking the disc brakes off the sequoia in rear to install on the back of a 04-06 tundra. Same concept basically and yes Toyota should have put disc on the rear of the tacoma as std equip. Def much easier to maintain.

Just found this website which offers a complete kit

http://www.tundraracing.com/rbck.htm

13. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle:
    Tonka
    I highly disagree. Please read my previous post in this thread.

Also; do you really believe that the manufacturer would spend the extra money to provide you with DRUM brakes if they didn't offer some kind of substantial advantage? Fact is that Drum brakes are larger and significantly more complex than disk brakes, far more expensive to manufacture. Why do you think they would do that?

14. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    Good luck getting the VSC system to work with your conversion.

15. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    Why do you think all the newer trucks are going to disc brakes in the rear

16. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle:
    Tonka
    Because the marketing people said so. Perception and cost reduction factors favor the disk. Quality engineering favors the drum.

17. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    :bowdown: lol

18. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Just to play devil's advocate...next time you see a parked semi truck, take a look at the brakes it has, both truck and trailer.

19. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle:
    Tonka
    Marketing gets a bit weird in some situations, like paying a premium for superior performance. The lower end model may be equipped with the more expensive hardware just so you have to change up to the high end to get the perceived advantage (real or not). Marketing is all about manipulating the customer into giving you more money for less product. As I mentioned, in car and SUV applications where the rear load is consistent, rear disks do make sense, since they can be sized appropriately for the consistent load. Its with the swinging load, where a pickup can have a load on the rear swing by 1500-2000 pounds or more depending on whether it is empty or loaded to capacity. Some models of Tacoma have a 1500 pound payload capacity, and given that the majority of its 4000 pound curb weight is sitting on the front, that probably represents at or near two times the empty load on the rear axle, which means that you can apply a lot more braking force before it locks up.

Yes, most of the stopping power is from the front, but when you've got most of your weight sitting over the rear axle, you'd be surprised just how much stopping the back can do.

I've *owned* a pickup with rear disks and a MAJOR rear disk rusting problem. The rear disks had to be replaced on it every single year I owned it because it would develop massive bands of heavy rust. Before that truck, my previous had drums in the rear. 250,000 km and only ONE change of shoes. No other work done (just occasional checkups) on the rear brakes.

Not knowing where you call home, the rear disk rust problem may or may not be an issue there. The salt belts certainly experience this.

That is, in fact, what you're starting to see. There are a few places where drums are installed as an intentional downgrade feature (among other downgrades and/or lack of upgrades) in order to push people into the premium model or upgraded package.

As far as Manufacturing expense goes, it is very easy to show that disks are cheaper to manufacture than drums. Just count all the parts! There is more material (steel is not cheap) on a drum than a disk, the machine required for cutting a drum surface is more complex and expensive. Even the physical shape of a drum is more complex to manufacture than a disk, most of which can just be cut out of a sheet. Both include a hydraulic slave cylinder with rubber seals and pistons, but there are a pile of springs and levers in the drum that aren't present in a disk.

So there you have it. Two kinds of brakes, both are good brakes, both have advantages and disadvantages. The key is to use it in the place where it is best suited. Sometimes, the wrong one goes into a place, just because there are so many people who have this unfounded impression that one is better than the other. Yes, disk brakes are better than drums, however, only in the specific applications where they actually are.

20. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle:
    Tonka
    Be aware that this discussion is about rear brakes on Tacomas (and/or pickups in general), not race cars, cranes, or the space shuttle. As such, you have done an admirable job of emulating the news media and taken my quote FAR out of context.

Products Discussed in

To Top