1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Drum Removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco John, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    Taco John

Taco John [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    Anyone done this on a gen 2? Is there a secret to it or are they just remove the wheel, pull off the drum? I had the wheels off at the last tire rotation and the drums didn't budge with my hands alone. I didn't bother with the hammer yet, but I am coming up on the next rotation and I would like to pop them off while I am in there just to take a look at the shoes. I know they arew fine, but call it peace of mind.

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Maybe this will help

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
    Here's a post from another site:

There are two threaded bolt holes opposite eachother on the face of the drum. they are either 8mm or 10mm bolts. I forget which. Just spray a little wd40 in each hole and slowly thread the two bolts in. Alternate a few turns on each on until they push the drum off. they might be a little hard to turn at first, but it is really quite simple once you figure it out.

Oh, and you'l have to get your own bolts. Sorry, I forget what the thread spacing is.

If I had to guess i would say they are a 8mm with a 1.25 thread spacing. 90% sure on that

wahoobie likes this.
  4. Dec 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    Taco John

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    Thanks to both of you. I do recall those bolt holes now that you mention it.

5. Dec 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    Mine were held on by a paper gasket, I was able to pull them off. The gasket is torn but I see no use for it. It may be there so the drums don't fall off during assembly.

Mike

6. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    ridereno

ridereno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 TRD-Off Road
    I pull mine off every 20,000 miles to inspect and blow out the brake dust. you need to screw two bolts into those holes and go back and forth, going about 1 turn each on them, to get the drums off. Kinda like using a puller on something.

7. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Pretty sure its the same thread of the bolts that hold the skidplate on. Remove one of those and head to the nut and bolt shop to get a couple of similar thread, but a couple of inches longer.

I always just use a hammer. Give the drum a few solid smacks all the ways around and it'll pull right off.

wahoobie likes this.
  8. Dec 16, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Some drums are balanced also so if you see a random piece of metal welding attached to it, don't knock it off. Once the drum is off it's good to spray the whole assembly down with brake cleaner. Who knows what's in your brake pads if there aftermarket. If there is asbestos (which there shouldn't be anymore but this is good practice) it is harmful while air born.

9. Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    Taco John

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    I may be a little overcautious, but when it comes to brake dust, none of that stuff is safe to breathe - even if it isn't asbestos. If you want to clean it out, please use brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol so the dust doesn't become airborne. The particles that are the most dangerous are the small ones you may not even notice and that will stay in the air for a while. I prefer the rubbing alcohol as brake cleaner isn't too healthy either.

Don't forget to clean up the dust that "washes" off before it dries. Brooming it off the garage floor later will put it in the air as well.

10. Dec 19, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Taco John

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    I confirmed today that 8mm X 1.25 is the correct size - at least for a 2009 4wd.

I was rotating the tires at the time and it looks like the front rotors are set up the same way.

Thanks for all the replies.

11. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Thank you so much! I couldn't get the thing off for the life of me and I removed one bolt from the front skid and what do you know it worked like a charm. I can't thank you enough.

To anybody doing this in the future apply a little bit of pressure to one side then remove the bolt and go to the other side. Their are two holes on the outer drum assembly one on each side of the axle.

wahoobie likes this.
  12. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    chacotaco

chacotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Albuquerque & Palo Alto
    Vehicle:
    2011 SSM TRD SPORT DCLB
    Black Snugtop XtraVision Sleep Deck.
    Dont forget to release your parking break!!!! It makes it much easier.

wahoobie likes this.
  13. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Haha. This to and and because you won't have a parking brake on and an open diff you should chalk your tires. Oh and btw welcome to TW!

14. Aug 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    And I'll add one more comment. I've known the trick with the bolt for years (Toyota's had it there for years on their drums/rotors). But even using that trick can give you problems on the rears. I've pulled mine off several times over the years. But when I tried to pull them off at 93K miles, I ran into lots of problems. I even loosened the e-brake cable in case that was the problem. And releasing the shoes using the adjusters via the slot in the back...PITA. My problem turned out to be the fact that after that many miles, the shoes wear a deep groove in the drums (by groove, I mean the whole width of the shoe). So you end up with a lip that can't get over the shoes unless you back them way off first (PITA using the slot in the back). So there's the warning for when you attempt this with higher mileage.

15. Aug 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    chacotaco

chacotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Albuquerque & Palo Alto
    Vehicle:
    2011 SSM TRD SPORT DCLB
    Black Snugtop XtraVision Sleep Deck.
    Thx!!

16. Aug 29, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    Tojo

Tojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado/Arizona
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Mobil 1 0-20W, Tacoma bed mat, tailgate anti-theft, oil filter drain hose, back seat headrest removal, a/c back seat platform, rear spring tsb, Tek.Prodigy P2 electric brake cntrl, Toyota Bed Extender
    good info! thanks to all for your input....

17. Aug 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  18. Jun 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    hawlisjawt

hawlisjawt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Removed my 2 rear drum at 110k. But the shoe hold down cup broke !! Parking brake was off , well not sure if its normal.

My shoes and drum are fine.
    I was doing a clean up because i was hearing a noise while (completly) depressing brake pedal, evreything was fine while breaking.

19. Oct 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    My brakes make a squeek when I depress the pedal and then release it. Even when parked. Its strange

20. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    photonashville

photonashville Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4x4 long bed with Leer
    "Chalk" your tires. Can't tell you how many times I read this.

It's chock not chalk. A wheel chock keeps your vehicle from rolling. Same for airplanes. Chalk is what you write with on a school board or police use to mark your tires when you park in a timed parking space, or what my daughter uses to draw on the driveway ;)

Next time anyone does work on their truck, be sure to chalk your tires so you can tell just how far the damn thing rolled over you because you didn't chock the tires. ;)

Otherwise good points on the drums.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    Naveronski and Brucio like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top