1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear E-Lock Diff Light indicator

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TROKITA, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    TROKITA

TROKITA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    Hey i know there alot of threads like this one but i cant seem to find the answer i want... its a quick and simple one... but what does it mean when the light is blinking and when the light stays on solid when the RR DIFF LOCK is activated ???? I've gone offroading with my locker on the whole time and its always blinking. I've only seen the light on my truck stay solid once and i was just messing with it.

2. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    okboatie1

okboatie1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Chula Vista, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner TRD SR5 DCSB
    OME 881's w/Dakar's, Deckplate mod, Debadged, door chime mod, 12V outlets always on,
    IIRC blinking means the switch has been activated and the electronic part is trying to activate. Sometimes mine will do this and I have to drive very slowly (2 mph) and turn the wheel one side to the other. Once it locks in, I can feel it. Need to stress, do this v-e-r-y slowly and NOT on pavement, concrete... only dirt, mud blah, blah. If this does not work, you may want to pull it and look at it. Hope this helps.

wmdpowell likes this.
  3. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    TROKITA

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    well i went to a trail run called rattlesnake trail here in utah and my rear locker was on the whole time......working perfectly but it was blinking the whole time i never turn off the car because it was kinda cold, and i never took off the locker....but it was working normal. could it just be like the sensor that is not detecting that its locked ????????? or what the heck ????

4. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    blinking means the locker has not engaged, or there is some other problem.

Be SURE it's actually locked, first. You should hear a clunk, or better yet, lift the rear end and rotate one of the wheels to see if it's locked (or try a sharp turn on asphalt, lol). If it IS locked, check the position censor on the locker itself, it may not be hooked up right (or at all). It's a plug on top (2 pin I think) that tells the computer it's engaged. If that plug is not secure, the computer will not get the signal that it's engaged and flash the locker light.

Brie likes this.
  5. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    TROKITA

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    ya it works i just went and did the grey wire mod like 10 mins ago its really easy and it works.....it does make the clunk noise,,, heck it even makes the noise when i push the button, you can hear how the electronic moves to lock on

6. Dec 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    then you probably have an issue with the indicator sensor, it's either bad, or has a bad connection. check the plug on top of the locker, jiggle it, maybe unplug it, clean it, and re-connect.

Otherwise, if you can live with the blinking light, you're probably fine...

Brie likes this.
  7. Dec 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    TROKITA

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    ill try that but for now imma leave it not a big issue rightnow thanks

8. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    For the rest of the world: Blinking means the button has been pushed in, but the differential is NOT locked. Light goes solid when it is locked.

For those with a 4WD, then it will only lock in LOW RANGE...

The Grey Wire Mod (1st. Gen) or the relay mod (2nd Gen.) is the only way a 4WD can use the locker in H2 or H4.

Brie likes this.
  9. Dec 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    Arturo, lemme know if you ever look deeper into this issue. I push my button and it always blinks, but i dont think mine locks in, I think my actuator needs torn apart... I just don't know if I can remove the actuator and get to it later when i have time or if craps gonna get in and ruin stuff more

10. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    TROKITA

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    well it locks and works like a charm :) i was just wondering why it blinks ill look in to it sooner or later... I just did the grey wire mod and love it :) cant wait to really use it on a trail without being in 4low.
    ya ill see what i can do but one way to find out if it really locks is you can hear a clunk in the back axle, or find a fairly tall enough ramp and go up it with one tire with 4x4 low.... once it spins out stop push the RR lock diff and go again see if it lacks you can feel it.... if that doesnt work then ya the sensor or something is wrong....

11. Dec 30, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    demo243

demo243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Topsfield MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD 4x4
    Having the same issue with mine. Initially it was blinking b/c it was not engaging but I rebuilt the actuator and now it locks immediately but the light keeps blinking.... Doesnt really bother me much since it locks and thats all i really care about

12. Dec 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    StaticFilter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    Was the rebuild difficult? I've read a walkthrough over on TTORA but it seemed pretty involved, did you have to repair anything or just take it all apart, clean it, and put it back together?

13. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with MCM front kit
    after I did the grey wire mod mine usually just blinks and doesn't go solid, but it is locked so never really worried about it. its been like 5 years and it has never not locked. I figure my time is better spent on other things and never worked on why.

14. Jan 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    demo243

demo243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Topsfield MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD 4x4
    Was pretty easy. Make sure to hit all your bolts with PB blaster a few times in the days preceeding your rebuild to make life easier. Some jack stands to put the back end of the truck up and allow the axle to droop would probably help as well, but can be done with out lifting the truck up.

Mine came off suprisingly easy considering how rusty the axle was, and was in supprisingly good shape both on the outside and the inside.

Once it was off the axles we left it plugged in and pushed the button to test and see if that was if it was actually spinning. The gear was not moving, you could hear the motor trying to turn it but it would not turn.

When I cracked it open I found that all the grease had dried up and become powder. Went throuhg and cleaned everything out and regreased it. I got new bolts for the two that hold the shell together, (snapped on of them off and had to drill it out and just a bolt and nut on the one that goes all the way through) had to remove the oring gasket, but replaced it with red high temp silcone gasket maker.

Then jacked up the rear driver side and checked to make sure the plate gear in the axle was working and it was actually locking the rear end. As suggested in the walkthrough I put the locker back on the axle in the locked position.

Everything works great! Just the light blinks, but it locks fine.

15. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    StaticFilter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Well I did a few tests up in the foothills this week, verified that my locker IS working afterall, the light flashes slower when it's engaged in 4-LO than when i push the button in 2WD or 4-HI. Tried climbing a terribly steep dirt road in 4-LO, made it halfway then killed it, rolled back down. Tried again, same effect. Pushed the locker button while in 4-LO, went right up, went down and tried it again, made it again, went down and took off the locker and tried again, didn't make it, put the locker on and went up one last time with success! Looks like i don't need a rebuild afterall

16. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:14 PM
    Rmartin517

Rmartin517 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 4 door Tacoma limited trd
    Supercharger, 6" fab tech, 20" moto metal wheels, 34" Nitto trail grapplers
    My truck is an 01 4wd and it does the same thing. Flashes slower once in 4 Lo. I can here I actuate and everything. Even here it unlock if I switch to 4hi or 2wd. I'm gonna do the grey wire mod as well. I reall want 2wd lock.

17. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    Imma

/thread

18. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM
    Rmartin517

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    ??? What is imma?

Brie and jmaack[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Nov 1, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    When I push the button in, mine blinks right before it locks and goes solid as it locks. I definitely hear the clunk as it locks too.

20. Nov 1, 2016 at 8:09 PM
    Rmartin517

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Mine clunks and you can here the electronics. I've been reading a lot seems it's a 50/50 chance that it's going to blink or not. Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top