1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear end questions

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 0uTkAsT, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Hey all, still kinda new to Tacomas and I'm wondering if the LSD from an 05+ TRD Sport is able to be swapped in to a 06 non-TRD truck without changing out other parts? i.e. is the differential itself the only difference or are the housings, axles/splines, etc. specific to one rear end or another?

Also, what kind of LSD do the TRD Sports have (i.e. are they electronically actuated or are they a simple cone or clutch type, etc), and what gear ratio are they (or does it depend)? My 4X4 2.7L 6-lug 5-speed is 4.10 geared, so the TRD would have to be the same for this to work.

If there's any variables to be considered between differentials, what can I look for and where to find the info I need?

Thanks so much for the help guys!

(FWIW I'm trying to find a totaled TRD Sport to steal the rear diff out of for a cheap LSD upgrade)

2. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    05 to 08 Sports and some SR5s have a clutch type mechanical LSD. All 09 and up trucks use ALSD which uses the brakes to simulate a LSD. The stock mechanical LSD is very expensive and very hard to find. Not sure if it will even fit your axle.

3. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It will fit.

4. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Living the dream !!!

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Accesscab
    TC UCAs, OME 886, Dakar leaf pack, Warn RC9.0 winch, ARB bull bar front bumper, BFG KOs 265/75-R16 (10 Ply) including spare, KC HiD 6" rounds, Raider fiberglass cap, Tule ski and bike racks, steel brake lines, AllPro high-clearance rear bumper (modified to deal with design shortcomings), 4crawler 1" body lift. TRD Supercharger. Pioneer PRS-80 stereo with JVC center console sub and Alpine 5-channel amp and door speakers. TRD Cat-back exhaust. Gel-pack battery. Hi-lift jack.
    Your idea should work.

Not sure on the gearing but believe it is 4.10:1 (of course the effective ratio would depend on your tire size also).

The LSD is electronically controlled.

Strike that. I was thinking of the full locker rear dif on the TRD package, which is electronic. No idea on the LSD? The full locker is the real deal!

5. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    The LS Diff is a mechanical type on the 05-08 trucks, Dwight. He's talking about the TRD SPorts, not the TRD Off Road that has the E locker. And as far as gearing goes, he can swap his Ring gear onto the LS carrier with no issues. :)

6. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Living the dream !!!

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Accesscab
    TC UCAs, OME 886, Dakar leaf pack, Warn RC9.0 winch, ARB bull bar front bumper, BFG KOs 265/75-R16 (10 Ply) including spare, KC HiD 6" rounds, Raider fiberglass cap, Tule ski and bike racks, steel brake lines, AllPro high-clearance rear bumper (modified to deal with design shortcomings), 4crawler 1" body lift. TRD Supercharger. Pioneer PRS-80 stereo with JVC center console sub and Alpine 5-channel amp and door speakers. TRD Cat-back exhaust. Gel-pack battery. Hi-lift jack.
    Ahh yes Chris. Thanks. You are correct. I was thinking of the full locker on the TRD Off-road. Duh.

7. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    ;)

8. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    I was told by the dealer that 4cyl diffs have a different axle spline count from the v6 diffs.

9. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    Many dealers have no idea what the Auto LS Diff is either. Everything I have read says the LS Diff fits the 8.4" housing. No mention of engine size.

10. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    True...

I just say that because when I had my 4cyl I was looking into finding a true LSD third member. I talked to my parts guy (life long off roader) and he immediately told me I would have to swap the axles also.

He looked it up on the computer and showed me that 4cyls use a lower count spline on their axles (I don't remember the spline counts).

11. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    Thats true for the 5 lug Tacomas, but IIRC, all the 8.4's are the same.

12. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off-Road 4X4

You know, I bet your right... I bet he was thinking 5 lug.

Who dare question chris4x4? :D

13. Apr 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If your looking for more traction from a LSD swap, it would be easier to just drop in a ARB locker I would think. Not sure the difference in price to get the parts needed and installation costs for the LSD vs just dropping in an ARB Locker, but you would have arguably a larger and stronger rear end then the E-locker, with way more traction then the LSD will ever offer. :cool:

14. Apr 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    You guys are awesome, thanks for the info!

To Top