1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear ended w/steel bumper....A Story of Redemption

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Two Tall, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    Two Tall

Two Tall [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    Passengers would always ask “Why do you have a dashcam?”

Here is why, courtesy of my Thinkware X500 front and rear facing dash cam:

In this post, I’d like to share:
    1) Effects of rear end collision with steel bumper
    2) My experience dealing with the 3rd party insurance process
    3) Seeking damages for an Inherent Diminished Value (DV) claim
    4) Getting a new frame on a 2012 2nd gen!
    5) Timeline of the 5 month+ process to come to resolution and get my truck back
    ** I took notes during this entire process in my Evernote app, but much of it is IIRC. Please check your facts if you are going through this same process and don’t depend on my research.

October 26, 2016

I had been driving about 6 hours that day, most in a rental for work and had dropped off my co-workers an hour earlier. This happened literally 30 seconds from home. I did see it coming as I was waiting to turn left, but cars were coming in the opposite direction so I just had to wait for impact. I did think to put the truck in neutral (automatic) to hopefully minimize damage to the transmission. No airbags deployed. I felt the jolt pretty hard, then pulled the truck off into the grass in my allotment. A lady at the intersection called police and they were there in minutes:

I was checked out by an ambulance and had (have) lower back pain which is being treated. I went to see my doctor the next day. The kid that hit me was with a friend and don’t know if he was texting or just not paying attention. They both jumped out of their Civic because they thought it was on fire (his radiator was compromised and therefore steaming.) The first thing I did was take a picture of his driver license and insurance card. He was cited and I told the police about the dash cam video. Police said it was obvious what happened here so video was not necessary. The flatbed hauled my truck away to a body shop that I’m familiar with and know the owner well. Police helped me take my luggage and personal items out of the truck and gave me a ride to my house 100 yards down the road.

Before I left, I checked out the truck:
    - 2” long scratch in the powder coat of the rear bumper
    - Pushed in rear bumper dented the bottom corners of the rear quarter panels
    - Bed is a little tilted when you look at it from the side. It does not line up vertically at the cab
    - The OEM tow package hitch is pushed in against the spare.
    - The tailgate won't open since the bed is flexed (?)

October 27, 2016

The third party insurance gave me a rate of $35/day for a rental. Hertz wanted to give me a Dodge Journey. In Ohio where I live (or maybe based on the insurance), I’m entitled to an equivalent vehicle to what was damaged. I definitely wanted a 4x4, did not necessarily need a truck for the winter. I looked on Hertz website and they offered 4Runners, so I asked for one. They had, only 1, and it had just come off rental. It was my favorite color:

2015 4Runner SR5. Would have been nice to have heated seats like my truck, but it was a great vehicle overall. It was like having a brand new winter beater – even though I washed it every week because I’m a neat freak. After this experience, I’ll be buying one for my wife. Me and the 4Runner were about to have a long-term relationship, unbeknownst to most all involved.

October 28, 2016

The 3rd party insurance shows up at the body shop and gives an estimate (Supplement #1) based on no tear down. Supplement #1 $2,390.11

October 29, 2016

Frame gets measured to see how bad the damage is. It ended up not being able to go on the rack because it was so out of alignment, he could not get the the clamps on the rack to attach. Therefore, had to use a Tram Gauge to measure. It is bent near the rear bumper and twisted under the cab.

November 2016

The insurance games begin. For now, just focusing on the Property claim.
    My arguments:
    1) The initial supplement is a joke
    2) The frame is bent, it should probably be totaled
    3) A class action lawsuit extending the truck years to 2010 (?) just was introduced and will make it difficult to get a frame. My research shows up to 6 months to obtain a frame. This translates to an extended rental.
    4) The argument against totaling would be all the mods in my truck. Here is the list I shared with them:
    Summary of mods ( I included everything, big and small, I’ve got a folder 3 inches thick)

- Weathertech side window deflectors. $114.95

- Volant Cold Air Intake. $350

- Lifetime Powercore air filter $140.82

- Front bumper. $1,383.19

- Rear bumper $758.98

- Power sunroof and heated leather seats. $3,004.75

- Toyota OEM Roof Rack. $250.75

- Toyota OEM Bed Mat. $92.65

- Access brand soft tonneau cover $447.29

- Weathertech floor liners. $200

- Warn winch. $479.98

- TRD Supercharger. $4,142.85

- Install for TRD Supercharger. $815.62

- Icon Stage 4 suspension. $3,183.55

- Spidertrax wheel adaptors $232

- Retrofit FX-R Projector headlights with LED halo + FJ switch. $1,350

- Interior LED light kit and backup light replacement. $45

- Interior LED light kit above HVAC. $55

- Toyota OEM tube steps. $399.38

- TRD Exhaust $357.50

- TRD Skid Plate. $170

- Toyota OEM bug guard. $100

- Salex center console organizer and glovebox $20

- Hi-Lift jack with bed mount, bumper hook and neoprene cover $160

- TRD shift knob $50

- Remainder of 100K Platinum warranty ???

- labor on several of above $871

$18,945.26 (re-calculate)

So, not your average Tacoma. I made my argument. Part of me wants it totaled but the other part wants me to keep since I know I won’t get the money for the mods. Up until this point, I had been planning to get a 3rd gen (here come the naysayers) just because I like new trucks! My truck, 2012 TRD Sport Upgrade Package was sitting at 87K and I usually don’t go take them over 100K – even though I wish I had kept all my prior Toyota trucks (especially ’93 SR5 ExtraCab 4WD 5sp!) Maybe this time would be different…

November 7, 2016

The 3rd party adjuster comes out now that the frame has been measured and the bed has been removed. Body shop and adjuster agree that frame needs replaced. Initial estimate is 10 weeks for delivery. Supplement #2 $8,297.01

November 8 2016

Went to visit the truck at the body shop. It looks so sad…

I’m a research freak, so let it begin. Started with Diminished Value (DV).
    There are multiple types. I was not concerned as much with Repair Based DV, more concerned about Inherent DV – the fact that my truck sitting next to an identical truck on the used car lot is worth less because it has a story.

Insurance companies will push for the 17c Formula:
    http://diminishedvalueofgeorgia.com/17c-formula-and-why-its-not-fair/

But, there are flaws in the 17c formula:

1. Established a random and arbitrary cap (10% of retail)

2. Uses NADA retail and not ACV

3. Caps diminished value at 100,000 miles or less

4. Uses a damage coefficient that’s subjective

5. Uses mileage twice (once in obtaining NADA and the second through a modifier)

Here is what I found on TW:
    5K diminished value check on wrecked 2015 Tacoma

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-much-is-this-damage-going-to-cost.455404/page-2

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wrecked.443031/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2015-trd-off-road-value-after-accident.449203/#post-13154088

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-poor-truck.441272/

Because Tacoma’s hold their value…..
    http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-mid-size-pickup-truck/

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/vehicles-with-best-resale-value-11.aspx

….I should surely be able to get a good chunk of change for DV.

This is where I found quite a bit of quality info on DV:
    https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/880666?start=720

Based on my research, I picked an appraiser in FL so all work was done electronically. They don’t need to see the truck. You want to get a Licensed Appraiser, not a Certified (paid designation) IMHO. Fixing a vehicle to industry standard is not indicative of worth.

I paid about $275 for a detailed report with all the justification and numbers. The process is such that the appraiser talks to Sales Managers at six local (to me) Toyota dealers and asks the following:

With the noted insurance supplements, the vehicle VIN, the pre-loss Fair Market Value (FMV) (FMV of my truck was $26,000 at the time of incident per NADA) plus some other details, what would you pay for a similar vehicle with this CARFAX report?

Here is a summary of responses:
    Dealer #1 – 12.5% less than a vehicle with no prior damage history $22,750 vs. $26K
    Dealer #2 – 25% less than a vehicle with no prior damage history $19,500 vs. 26K
    Dealer #3 – 23.08% less than a vehicle with no prior damage history $20,000 vs. 26K
    Dealer #4 – 25% less than a vehicle with no prior damage history $19,500 vs. 26K
    Dealer #5 – 30.77% less than a vehicle with no prior damage history $18,000 vs. 26K
    Dealer #6 – 46.15% less than a vehicle with no prior damage history $14,000 vs. 26K

Then, the average of these six is calculated. In this case, it equals 27.08% decrease.
    So, that decrease subtracted from the 26K equals $7,040.80. That is how much money I’ve lost in value.

It’s only a loss if I sell it. The resale on my truck has been compromised. Trucks like this go to auction when they get traded in.

The 3rd party insurance won’t hear this argument until repairs are complete even though time of loss is passed AND this is not REPAIR based DV. Either way, I’m fine to wait.

I’m in Ohio, which is a DV state. You can’t file a DV claim against your own insurance.
    Diminished Value Ohio Supreme Court Case voted in favor:

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/2/2015/2015-Ohio-696.pdf

NewsChannel 5 Report on DV in Ohio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ3pQZPcTvM

What you need to know on DV
    http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...iminished-value-claim-what-you-need-know.html

November 2016 through mid-March 2017

The 4Runner is so smooth and racking up the miles. Ended up putting about 8,500 miles on it! Driving it to work, going fishing, grocery getter, etc. Both my wife and I used it so I only think I put gas in her Accord two times in five months. Only thing I had to do to the 4Runner was put gas in it and get the oil changed once. During these five months I had several follow up and status calls regarding the medical claim as I was seeing a chiropractor. There were a couple false alarms about getting the frame in during January, but did not believe it until I got the call….

February 28, 2017

The frame has arrived at the body shop…I left the office early to go see:

I only did a little research but soon realized that the frames are no longer made by Dana after the lawsuit. This frame came from Mexico:

Work soon began, mostly disassembling the truck. I kind of like the 70” lift!

This bracket behind the grill for S/C components was rusty so they cleaned it up and coated it...was hard to source another.

Out with the old front end components...

Now that the frame is in, it will take several weeks to get everything done. It was not just a frame swap, it was body work too among other things.

“The Rear Bumper Debacle”
    From the beginning, I had a concern was about my rear bumper. From my understanding, you can’t “fix” powder coat – you have to re-powder coat. Plus, the bumper had surface rust on the inside. I wanted that fixed and fine if it were on my dime.

The body shop called and said after taking the bumper off the frame, the passenger side mounting bracket was 10mm off. While it could be fixed with cold or hot working, I’m getting a new bumper.

It is a Fab Fours bumper, but I did not order direct from them. I called a retailer and placed the order for a replacement. It will be there in 5-7 days. Five days later, the body shop calls and says the bumper is at FedEx, but it is too big and too heavy to deliver. What? I’ve got free shipping. The retailer messed up the delivery so I had to pay $50 to get it from FedEx depot to the body shop.

When the bumper arrived, the box was beat up and taped, like it was previously sent to someone and returned. Upon inspection, there were two less than an inch long scrapes on the top in similar spots on each end:

I called the retailer and filed a claim. Their customer service was frankly a pain. Just get me a new bumper, it is the only thing holding us up right now. After a lot of back and forth, a new flawless bumper arrived at the body shop’s door in about 5 days via a different carrier.

I call back customer service and follow up on the RA. The RA was sent to the original carrier, FedEx (who would not deliver to the door originally, so why would they come this time?) Customer service said FedEx has two weeks to pick up the part otherwise you can “throw it out.” My response “Ok. Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. Bye now.” Seriously.

It has been two weeks and no pick up. So, I now have two extra steel bumpers….they will go in TW FS section or Craigslist. I’m in NE Ohio if you are interested.

Fab Fours great customer service
    During re-assembly, it was noticed that the passenger turn signal in the front steel bumper had corrosion on the connections and needed replaced. The body shop could not source the correct replacement. Upon calling Fab Fours, they immediately shipped out a replacement at no cost and don’t even need to send them a copy of original purchase invoice. That is great customer service!

Here are all (I think) the things that were replaced or fixed:
    1) Got the frame plug kit! About $40 from Toyota dealers: Part #04002-07104
    2) Should I undercoat the whole frame since I’ve got the chance? End up not doing it because it already had a coating. I know, maybe not the best coating. If I keep it, it will get regularly oil spray or Fluid Film.
    3) Noted that my serpentine belt is getting worn, it will be replaced on my dime
    4) Full 4 wheel alignment
    5) Clock spring in steering wheel replaced
    6) Brakes bled and new fluid, checked out
    7) ATF fluid checked
    8) New rear fender flares
    9) body work on bed and new paint on both rear bedsides
    10) New charcoal canister – pulled codes P0441 and P0455, P0456 due to evac leak
    11) All new tie rod ends, LCA cam bolts, bushings, etc up front…nice because I have lifetime alignment from Firestone and they always have trouble because of the cam bolts in the LCA’s.
    12) A/C evac and recharge
    13) Lots of cleanup of surface rust underneath. Lots of new bolts and other hardware throughout.
    14) New factory tow package trailer hitch– that thing is $1,200!
    15) New rear bumper
    16) Replaced engine coolant
    17) New PS fluid
    18) Thought about getting new leaf packs, already have AAL from Icon, but decided not to. The leafs are the only thing “rusty” underneath right now.
    19) Minor body work on the cab near the rear window where the bed rubbed up against the cab

The third and final supplement arrived after the work was done: Supplement #3 $7,213.10

Total of all supplements: $17,900.22

Total rental bill (estimate): $5,250 (150 days @ $35/day)

March 31, 2017

Got the truck back and have put about 500 miles on it so far. No issues to report, drives like new.

Frame plug example:

The weather is rainy out now so that is all the pics I have....

Heated seats feel great, missed those….and the sunroof for 5 months. I don’t need no 3rd gen! Well we’ll see. Might wait for the 2018’s to come out and see the new Safety Sense features. If Toyota made the TRD Pro with a sunroof, it would be in my driveway.

The kid that hit me had state minimum coverage – Ohio it is 25K for property.
    Here is a link to the numbers for each state:
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/after_44_years_ohio_is_raising.html

The DV claim is still in process, but there is not much money left since the property claim is over 23K right now. I know it is a longshot to get that full 7K in DV, but I am hopeful.

I’ll keep this thread updated with longer term feedback.
    I would welcome any follow up questions in this thread or via PM.

When I go to sell private party, you can look at this two ways:
    1) This truck has been wrecked, moving on...
    2) A 2nd gen with a brand new frame, new front end components, supercharged, lifted, sunroof, heated leather....I'm going to drive this another 200K!
    Since I have all the documentation and feel it was rebuilt properly, I'd be crazy to sell this truck now....hopefully the new vehicle bug does not strike.

My hope is that this info will help others going through the same process.

2. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    Jesus Christ.........I met my reading quota, for the week.

3. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM
    Two Tall

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I forced you to read....I like to provide value to the community vs. "Nice KO2's bro", "LOL" or "3rd Gens are junk"

Snaeper, julioc1, SR-71A and 26 others like this.
  4. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    :rofl:

Now I know who to ask for advise, if I ever get rear-ended.

Honestly, I hadn't heard of anyone getting a replacement frame, as a result of an accident.....just repaired or put on a frame machine.

5. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    Man that car was going fast

6. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:46 PM
    SuperBad

SuperBad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    Great info about your experience. I'm kinda surprised they didnt just total it. At this point if I was you I would not trade it for a 3rd gen. I love my 3rd gen but would rather be driving your truck with the SC!

7. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    This should be made into a movie.....

8. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    elmontemike

elmontemike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I love the read. Thanks and good luck with everything.

9. Apr 9, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    Two Tall

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    A possible title is "Saved by KO2's"....you know damage would have been a lot worse if I had Duratracs.

Nedrolls likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Good read and good outcome OP :thumbsup:

Silentshredr, MarX and Duck_Hunter like this.
  11. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    Wow, what an ordeal.....

Glad you got the truck back with a brand spankin' new frame. Hope the DV works out.

12. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Love the details. Great post!

TomTwo likes this.
  13. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    This might be a good sticky for those trying to research DV on here.

14. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    HeavyLifter

HeavyLifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Athens, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Nice thread...

Very good information.

Are you still selling the bumper they sent you with the scratches?

15. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    Jystr

Jystr IG: TW_Jystr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Leesville, LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRDOR
    See build thread
    Interesting read, even more interesting to see the video. The kids actually tried to stop, but im guessing (I lived in C-bus) it was a bit wet and they locked their brakes. You can see the tires turn to the Left (drivers side) and the nose of the car dip down. Sucks but hope they learned.

As for the truck: Wow that is quite the ordeal! WTF.

Torspd likes this.
  16. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    I can't believe I read all of that. Every little bit was good info!

17. Apr 9, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    locster

locster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4
    Looks like the kid tried to zap your car out of the way with his laser high beams right before impact.

JaeSif and Hoonatic like this.
  18. Apr 9, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    My thoughts exactly. I had to make sure this wasn't one of Charlie's posts a few times. :laughing:

$5000+ for rental car fees :bananadead:

19. Apr 9, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    It just annoys me that our frames are so weak. I am glad they replaced the frame for you but many companies would have totaled it. I would have gone to the body shop and POR15'd that frame before they installed it. Just to be sure it lasted a long time.

20. Apr 9, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Thanks for sharing your well documented experience and glad it appears to have worked out well in the end!

As a side note this looks like another example of the receiver hitch converting what should have been a low dollar fix into a near total. Your steel bumper was irrelevant here. The presence of the receiver hitch is what totaled the frame. Common occurrence in moderate to high speed rear end hits.

Most importantly I hope your back pain is gone or on its way to gone!

JSU likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top