1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Leaf Spring Recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CGYToyota Taco, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dec 1, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    CGYToyota Taco

CGYToyota Taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good day all.

Just thought I would share what happened to my 2009 Taco. (Never started a thread here before but always lurked)

Driving home my brake line was severed and had little to no brakes. Towed the truck in to the closest dealership to get an inspection done. I was worried about the possible price, anything from MC to just new brake lines etc. Turns out my rear leaf spring broke and severed the brake line. Toyota will be announcing a recall for certain Tacomas to replace the rear leaf springs. Because the leaf spring severed the brake line they will be replacing my brake lines and both rear leaf springs at no cost to me.

Long story short, if you are having any issues like mine, contact Toyota and see what they say.

I am not very mechanically inclined so i wont be able to answer many technical questions if you have any.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is doing a search on broken leaf springs and brake lines etc.

!TacoTaco! likes this.
  2. Dec 1, 2015 at 12:13 PM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    I've received 2 letters in over a year. STILL waiting...........

!TacoTaco! and thewarriordinghy like this.
  3. Dec 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    05SuperChrg

05SuperChrg Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    I replaced my rear springs with Toytec's Old Man lift in 2010. I sent Toyota the paperwork claim for reimbursement and they said they would refund my $$ if I could generate the necessary paperwork, including proof of payment. I just called Toytec, and they will send me the proof of payment ASAP!
    Great guys at Toytec, I cannot recommend them and the products more!

4. Dec 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I believe I've read of this problem B 4 and while the brake line being cut is scary enough the leaf can also puncture the gas tank and that may cause a fire. Bottom line - glad U R safe and it worked out - could have been worse.

!TacoTaco! likes this.
  5. Dec 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM
    Coletron

Coletron Member

Member:
    Nederland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma, V6, 4WD, TRD Offroad Package
    Much obliged for the post. I've been troubleshooting my rear suspension problem and I think this is it. Just checked my VIN on the Toyota recall site and my truck is identified for the recall. I lucked out, I guess. I've been driving with the problem for probably a good 2000+ miles, with only a rough ride to complain of. On hold with the dealership now.

Get 'er done!

6. Dec 23, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    FEOOH

FEOOH New Member

Member:
    NWPA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4 Door TRD
    Just had my 2012 up on the lift for tire rotation. Noticed that my driver side leaf springs are broken. Called my local dealer where I purchased truck new and got the run around that there are no problems with rear springs. I had a 2006 that I replaced springs on my own dime and when I purchased my 2012 model same dealer said the spring issue was resolved. Well it has not been resolved and since there is no recall they will not fix this ongoing faulty spring issue. Getting a little tired of these dealers toeing the company line saying there are no issues with springs.

That's my story but will follow up with more phone calls and a visit to the dealer.

Any suggestions?

7. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:10 AM
    jjloco

jjloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 access cab V6
    I think the recall is 2005-2011. I don't know why the 2012 would be any different.
    Speaking of the leaf springs, I've gotten 2 letters so far saying a resolution is coming. When the hell are they going to start the leaf spring replacement campaign? Does anyone know?

8. Jan 11, 2016 at 11:31 AM
    ssteers

ssteers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2009 and 2011 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cabs
    I bought my wife a new 2011 Tacoma in 2011. I had a cap installed the 2nd week we owned it so she could truck our dogs around. As soon as the cap was installed the truck had a rake to it and sat approx 1" lower in the rear than in the front(2 weeks old). We have lived with it since 2011. I also own a 2009 Tacoma that is identical. I received the recall a year ago(actually for the 2009) and called the dealer to schedule an appointment and they said don't bother yet, so I didn't. A few weeks ago I noticed that my wife's truck was now leaning to the passenger side, so I figured, this must be the reason for the leaf spring recall. I called the dealer and told them that I believe my truck had a broken leaf spring. I took it in and both leaf springs were broken and one of them(passenger side) had a section of missing leaf. This truck has 80k highway miles on it because she drives it to work and trucks the kids everywhere in it. It has never been off-road and never towed more than a dog or camping equipment in the bed. Even though the recall says 2005-2011, "her 2011 VIN is not covered by the recall". I called the Toyota 1-800 number and argued that I have owned 10 Toyota's in my life and I know as well as they do that the leaf springs should not crack and disintegrate the way my 2011 's have, especially when it sat like !@#$ from the day I bought it. I am still working my way up the chain, but as of now, THEY DON'T CARE!

9. Feb 4, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    Norton Guy

Norton Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    09 Double cab SR5 Sport
    Got the remedy recall notice for my '09 the other day after a couple of earlier alerts.

Dealership said they weren't aware the actual recall notices had been sent out yet. (!)

Anyway they took my name and number and said they would call back when they were sure they had the parts available.

Not real confident that this is going to be an easy deal.....

10. Feb 4, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    el_turks

el_turks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner
    KOs 285,
    Can you post a picture of the letter or text?. I would like to read what it says.

11. Feb 4, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    my leafs are flat.... and 3 letters later im still waiting...

Tacoma SS likes this.
  12. Feb 4, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    el_turks

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner
    KOs 285,
    Thank you norton. You may want to cover your VIN number on the letter. Nnd yey!! so let the replacements begin!!! :amen::broccoli::dancingbacon::jellydance:

13. Feb 4, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    Norton Guy

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    09 Double cab SR5 Sport
    I took down the scan because I couldn't get the new altered one to show up for some reason, only the original.

Cleared cache etc but I still only the get the old one to show up....aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh

14. Feb 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    Norton Guy

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    09 Double cab SR5 Sport
  15. Feb 4, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    I got a bad vibe driving today... If its my leafs, they have to replace them right?

16. Feb 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    el_turks

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner
    KOs 285,
    http://www.toyota.com/recall

I just checked my VIN and it says that remedy is not available yet. My guess is that they are managing the release.

Title
    Safety Recall E02 (E12) Preliminary Notification - Certain 2005-2011 Model Year Tacoma Pre-Runner and 4x4 Vehicles Rear Leaf Spring
    Status
    Remedy Not Available
    Description
    The subject vehicles’ rear suspension system contains leaf springs that are constructed of either three or four leaves. There is a possibility that a leaf could fracture due to stress and corrosion. If this occurs and the vehicle continues to be operated, the broken leaf could move out of position and contact surrounding components, including the fuel tank. If the broken leaf contacts the fuel tank repeatedly, it could puncture the tank and cause a fuel leak. In the presence of an ignition source, this could result in a fire.
    Remedy
    Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition.
    For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.
    Recall Date
    September 29, 2014
    Dealer Reference ID
    E12
    NHTSA Recall ID
    14V604

17. Feb 4, 2016 at 8:19 AM
    Norton Guy

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    09 Double cab SR5 Sport
    Replaced U Joints lately?

That's the first thing I'd check.

18. Feb 4, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    It went away after freeway driving... Sounded like metal in a. Tin can only on initial acceleration when it was there...

19. Feb 4, 2016 at 11:54 AM
    Norton Guy

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    09 Double cab SR5 Sport
    crawl under and have look at the center joint, they get rumbly under initial accell and then make a squeaky/clicking sound. Mine went south @ around 100K even with regular greasing.

20. Feb 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    The lowering kit I ordered has new u joints... So would that take care of it?

Products Discussed in

To Top