1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Leaf Spring TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2010TACO, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC

I was denied at two dealerships and hit pay-dirt with the third. I'm taking my truck in Monday to has the Leaf Spring and Tranny TSB done. SWEET!

I shouldn't get so excited as the fat lady hasn't sung yet. LOL.

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    2010TACO

2010TACO [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    I went back to the dealership yesterday to pick up my tags, while I was there I questioned the TSB again. The service writer said that there were not any TSB's for my truck and I replied that there was, after looking in his system again he stated that there was but they had to order the parts. I agreed to return my truck on Tuesday to get the spring and Transmission TSB performed and that I needed a loaner for the time it is in service. To my surprise he told me that they had no loaners due to the gas pedal issue Toyota was having but they could offer me a ride with their shuttle service, so I asked "are you willing to drive me to work and pick me up which is 25 miles one way?" he said no, we cannot go that far. I then stated that they need to find me some type of transportation or reimburse me for a rental, I know have to wait for a response from the service manager.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    If it was made in Mexico, it has beefier springs (I was told by mechanic)... only 3 leafs, but they are stiffer than the earlier Tacoma 3 leafs (I had an '05 that bottomed out with any load in back). This '10 does not bottom out under same conditoos (so far)... It has CHI painted on the springs... no numbers.

4. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    2010TACO

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Dropped off the truck tonight for the Leaf Spring and Transmission TSB, they gave me a Camry as a loaner. Hope all is well when I pick it up tomorrow night.

5. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    You should be more worried about driving the Camry. LOL:confused:

6. Feb 5, 2010 at 3:52 AM
    2010TACO

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    The Camry has had the recall mod done already so I really am not worried about driving it. I was surprised though how responsive it is, seems to have alot more power than my Tacoma. I know there is a few hundred pounds different in weight comparison but this thing gets up and goes pretty quick.

7. Feb 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    2010TACO

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Just had the leaf spring TSB with no regrets, asked to have the TSB done for the transmission while they had it. It turns out that they told me that my truck already had the latest software installed but they tried re-flashing anyway. Well now I have a vibration between 15 and 30 MPH which I predict could be due to the re-flash as I did not experience this before everything was done. Anybody have any input on this? I will be notifying the dealer again tomorrow to see what they have to say.

8. Feb 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    I had the leaf spring TSB done back in December, never had to call Toyota corporate. Took it to the dealer where I bought the truck last August after scheduling an appointment to leave it with them while I would be at work. My main reason for the appointment was the transmission TSB, but asked to "pursue" the leaf spring TSB when I dropped off the truck. They said they would check the eligibility, parts, etc., for the springs after doing the tranny flash. Then they called me a taxi to take me to work, no charge. When I showed up to pick up the truck that evening, they said the spring TSB was approved and the parts had been ordered and I would be called for another appointment when they arrived. Had the springs replaced 2 weeks later.

While waiting for the springs to arrive, Mrs. pokeng gave me the honey-do of building a flower bed out of concrete retaining wall block. Here's a pic (pre-TSB) after loading up the truck with 30 Pavestone Windsor Stone at Home Depot (22.40# ea. = 672 lbs.):

[​IMG]

The bumpstops weren't quite hitting, but I guarantee they hit a few a times on the way home, especially on a railroad crossing near HD. Truck drove better than I expected, but still was very light on the front when steering.

The first 30 block wasn't even half the job, so I picked up another 30 of the same stones a week later (post-TSB):

[​IMG]

The iPhone pics don't do it justice, but the rear end is sitting much lower before the TSB. Here's a close up of the stock springs under load:

[​IMG]

The stock springs had a reverse camber. The TSB springs held a more positive camber. Here's a pic of the TSB springs:

[​IMG]

The TSB springs gave me about 1" of lift. The ride is definitely stiffer. I debated doing it because I didn't want to give up the smooth ride. But, after bottoming out a few times going over railroad tracks a few times when empty, something had to be done. Unfortunately can't have both.

Products Discussed in

To Top