1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear leaf TSB...does it provide any lift?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Feb 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 Double Cab 4x4 Sr5 Off-Road
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    and personally I don't want the lift but since I do use my truck to haul and tow and have bottomed out i feel as though i would be one of those people who needs the tsb.

2. Feb 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!

I often wonder where the desireable soft ride excuse came from? Toyota advertises that this truck is capable of a hefty payload. The 3 leaf pack cannot deliver on the promise. Therefore, the 4 leaf is needed. The soft ride excuse is just that-an excuse.

3. Feb 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I personally paid close to $27,000 for a truck that I expect should be able to handle carrying the weight they advertise it'll carry regardless if I need it or not. I bought the truck to be ready to do things on a whim.... whether it be haul/tow 5x a year or 5x in 5 years. I don't care.

This is something Toyota should've installed from the factory. Period.

4. Feb 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    BUK 0H5

BUK 0H5 Still For Sale

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 2.7L Manual AccessCab SR5 PreRunner
    Removed Mud Flaps, Suspension TSB, 5100's all around, JVC KW-AVX710 Head Unit with Metra surround.
    I got the TSB done on my 09, and I parked next to my brother's 08 double cab 4x4 that does not have the TSB done but does hay an aal and front end lift and my rear was the same height as his. The front was way lower though, so I am going to have to fix that.

5. Feb 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    Sandfire

Sandfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest midwest
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4 silver
    OME 885 springs with OME N140s shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, TSB AAL, OME N182's, MT BAHA ATZ 4ribs.

I agree entirely, I think Toyota (not necessarily talking about dealerships)is so willing to work with us on this because they know the stock leaves are trash. Instead of a TSB it should be a reacall. I know, I know, most people don't care and don't know and that would cost them tens of thousands.

6. Feb 25, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I've said this before on many threads here on TW, the 3 leaf pack is junk. I had a 86 Toy truck and a 1995 Taco and on both of those trucks the leaf springs broke. I never overloaded either one of these trucks and the springs busted on both sides and I had them wired together with coat hangers. My suggestion to everyone is to have the TSB done before your 3 year/36K warranty runs out, or your have to pay later to get them fixed.

7. Feb 25, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    When I got my TSB done at a dealership in Indianapolis last October, it was only the second one done there.

They have sold many 2nd gen Tacomas since '05 to alot of very happy customers.

I'm not dissagreeing with any of you, but you must see that those of us that want the upgrade are a minority.

I'm not happy with what Toyota is doing either, but I am happy that they made it right.(at zero cost to me) Therefore, I refuse to be one that will harp and complain about it.

8. Feb 26, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    grivera

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    They may be making it right, but only based on warranty-and hit or miss on the '09s. That is plain ridiculous. The part is inadequate and they install it anyway-in hopes that most don't notice it. What difference does it make that the vehicle is out of warranty when they know that the part was not up to task to begin with? What if you never loaded the truck until 37k miles and then learned that it doesn't perform as advertised?

9. Feb 26, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

Those that WANT the warranty are probably a minority. Those that KNOW THEY CAN GET AN UPGRADE are definitely a minority. Toyota isn't exactly sending out notices about the TSB.

Those that actually get on forums to research, modify and learn about their vehicles are also a minority. Also, most owners are not savy enough to know what the problem is or how to fix it. I bet 8 of 10 people couldn't tell you what a leaf spring is!

Had I not visited this site and learned of the TSB, I would've chaulked the rough ride up to poor design and lived with the problem AS IS. That is what the majority are doing.

We need to inform those that do not know about the issue or understand that it can be improved. Every 2009 owner needs to call Toyota (800-331-4331) and complain. It only take a couple minutes to report the problem. Just tell them you were hauling a load and experienced a "rough ride". You could even report that you bottomed out the suspension on bumps.

The more that report the issue, the sooner they will include the 2009's in the TSB.

10. Feb 26, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Then you probably shouldn't have bought a truck ;)

11. Feb 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    grivera

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    Is it fair for those that buy used with 36k+ miles...

12. Feb 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    grivera

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    oops, forgot "?"

13. Feb 28, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    I suppose Toyota could have gone the Scion route and offered either spring pack as an "option". They could spin it positively as getting your truck the way you want/need it.

Products Discussed in

To Top