1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear leaf TSB. Should I or should I not get it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KevinD, Feb 3, 2011.

?

Is the rear leaf TSB worth getting done?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2011.
  1. Yes Im happy with mine

56 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Yes but I haven't got mine done yet

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. No rides to rough

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. No sure don't have it done

25 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Feb 3, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    So how do you get the bike in the bed? Is the tailgate strong enough to ride it up a ramp or do you ride it on from an elevated dock?

2. Feb 3, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Do it, You'll thank yourself when you have to go tow or haul something heavy.

3. Feb 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    My first tailgate bent from me standing onit (250ish lbs back then) while loading a walk behind lawn mower. Even the reinforced TSB tailgate I have feels flimsy. I'll be adding more support to it at one point.

I doubt the stock tailgate can handle the weight of a bike+rider.

4. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I just had my springs replaced and the truck behaves like it should have all along. I'm heavily involved in motorcycles and even after my first drive in the truck (before I knew about the spring TSB) I felt like the rear suspension was too soft - and that's with the truck unloaded.

With the new springs, it really feels like the front and rear suspension are actually working together. I just really hope they don't "relax" too much. I really like how the truck rides now.

I also just did this to my tailgate to solve the motorcycle-on-the-gate bending problems.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/136618-how-im-fixing-my-flexy-tailgate.html

dp

5. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    After looking at your pic , the answer is definitely a yes

6. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    mustangwilly

mustangwilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR Quicksand MT
    I have the tsb and if I had to do it over again I wouldn't fuck with the tsb and just get firestone riderite air bags. The only thing to consider is the air bag system cost around $250 but I'm very happy with them.

7. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I was very much against getting it done until I loaded it down with firewood in the bed and on my small trailer. I only had 1/4" clearance between the bump stop and frame. I decided to have it done. I was against it because I thought the ride would be rough and I'm 95% driving on pavement.

I have to tell the truth and eat crow. I like the 4 spring TSB. My truck is not lifted and I really like the looks of the back end raised just a little. Some here will tell you that it "settles" in over time and drops. I've had mine for 6 months and it hasn't lowered down any. I do not notice one bit of ride difference on pavement and feel it's even a little better on dirt roads. It feels a little more substantial. The only pain to getting it done was a short lecture from the dealer on overloading the truck. I just smiled and thanked him for the advice. :rolleyes:

In addition to the TSB I'm looking at installing airbags and an onboard compressor with remote this summer. Every once in a while I'll get a load of dirt, mulch, wood, building materials, salt, etc. The airbags will help.

8. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    My experience from hauling the same load with the three leaf setup and the 4 leaf setup is that it's an improvement but not that big of an improvement. I may look at airbags in the future.

If your post was correct regarding the OP's application it wouldn't have been so ridiculous.

9. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    KevinD

KevinD [OP] I don't say to much

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner X-SP silverstreak
    Billit grill and window tent, HIDs, fog light mod

I just use a ramp and push it on. I haven't had any problems with the tailgate.

10. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    KevinD

KevinD [OP] I don't say to much

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner X-SP silverstreak
    Billit grill and window tent, HIDs, fog light mod
    I will be calling my local dealer tomorrow. I would rather do it now than pay for it later. What all will be changed since I have a prerunner?

11. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    chiefridr

chiefridr I don't want a large farva!

Member:
    Carrollton, TX
    Vehicle:
    16 DCTRDOR
    YES! You should fucking do it! Why wouldn't you? It's better for your truck, and it's free!

DO IT NOW!

12. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    pudgie10

pudgie10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moline, Il
    Vehicle:
    2011 TlX Pro
    rear TSB
    I had the TSB done 10 days ago and I noticed a diffrence in the rear just driving by to the service department. They said the ride would be rougher, but its not that bad just alittle bouncier. I would get it done for peace of mind and the price is right.

13. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    rockbug63

rockbug63 Active Member

Member:
    central coast CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl cab 4x4 SR5 tow pkg.
    Rear leaf and steering column chatter tsb blower mtr replaced(waste of time) 2nd blw. mtr.; new headlights from DRL melt issue new water pump9 leaking0around block) pwr steering rack leaks, right frt. wheel bearing bad.
    Just do it. It's a truck. Period. All 1st gen came with a four leaf pack. I had a '96 and it was a great truck, hauled a trailer with it and all I did was put Billeys on it, better in a lot of ways than my current '09 After I had mine done I loaded it up wood cutting and pulled a trailer loaded with logs!! NO REGRETS

14. Feb 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    They warned me about the ride, but I barely noticed a difference EXCEPT when loaded with luggage & stuff, she rides 1000x better. First trip to AZ, pre-tsb, the wind had me all over the road. After the TSB, drove straight, wind didn't bother me.

Check your bump stops - if there is any wear, definitely get it done - mine showed lots of wear.

15. Feb 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    RedneckSailor

RedneckSailor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Quad-Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I had my truck at the dealership today and they approved the TSB for my truck. I showed them where the bump stops had rubbed a few times. The shop forman had to tell me about the "rougher ride", but other than that, it wasn't a problem to get the TSB set up. I'm taking the truck in to the everything installed as soon as the parts come in.

16. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    Do it. I wish I did and now have frowny face springs....

17. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Hum, let's see, the dealer will add additional hauling capacity by installing a new suspension components AND give you a wheel alignment, all for no excessive charge? I say emphatically YES. Side benefit - desire for a front end lift.:D

18. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    jmayday23

jmayday23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '10 4WD TRD Sport DCLB
    Grillecraft, Hella 500 HIDs, weathertech mats, yellow fogs, OME 885's with shocks and AAL. Bridgestone Revos 285/70-17
    I didn't see any posts about an AAL. Is it worth doing if I plan on getting the Toytec 2" AAL when I get my OME lift? I know you can buy the AAL for TSB and non-TSB, just curious about anyone's thoughts on this...

19. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    Get it. WITHOUT question...

20. Feb 20, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    My brother borrowed my truck to move some furniture. My truck has the tsb and stiffer eibach coils up front & that's it. When he returned it he said, "You're truck feels like a car." I agree. To me it feels like a smooth, soft ride. Initially I was thinking about stepping up to that 3 inch lift, but I like the ride so much I am gonna leave well enough alone. I vote get it done.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top