1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear locking diff

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmarqu2, May 10, 2010.

1. May 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 [OP] YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    If I would end up getting ARB's. Which ones should I get first? Front or rear? Or just save up for both? I'm thinking front.

2. May 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Specifically what?

There are piles of vids that prove that statement to be incorrect. And don't bother mentioning the vid with the ARB rep driving.

False, it transfers power sufficiently to keep the wheels spinning within a certain rpm percentage of each other. And it requires no traction, or brake torquing at all to do so.

TRAC doesn't lock anything, I never stated that it does, it transfers torque. ATRAC locks wheel rotation in unison on each axle, not 100%, but pretty damn close. And Trac doesn't pulse the brakes, it applies them as needed, smoothly and continuously, in varying amounts.

Specifically how?

Wrongo.....

I just gave an example of when ATRAC is more advantages, as well, as the 30 or so vids that show ATRAC working, after the rear has lost traction.

Deep mud is more suited to a locker than ATRAC, the only reason I prefer ATRAC is it works on both axles. I offroad a lot. And with the locker only, you are stuck as soon as a log or rock is encountered when in deep sticky mud, as that front tire stops spinning.

For the record, I don't follow you around, argue with all your posts, or make up stories to discredit what you are saying. (all the made up stories of ATRAC breaking axles, overheating, Trac limiting throttle etc).
    So you are clearly the one who is mis-representing. Quit getting all personal, if you disagree with a statement, disagree with the statement as opposed to calling my judgment into question. Better yet if you have something against ATRAC, or me, then maybe avoid posting just to argue.

3. May 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Yah, and there was no restriction of who voted... a better poll would be of those 2009 and 2010 Tacoma owners who have used A-TRAC find it provides superior traction over the Rear Locker.

Without any knowledge of A-TRAC, without using A-TRAC, I too would have voted for the Rear Diff. Locker... I had it on my two previous Tacomas, afterall. They worked great and got me up hills like The Widowmaker in Baja. I would only buy a new Tacoma with a rear locker having no info about A-TRAC.

After getting my 2010, learning what A-TRAC is from you guys at TW, then using A-TRAC in various conditions (including high centering my back end on the spare tire, so only the front had any traction... also extracting myself out of a sand bury in a Baja beach while in open differential mode) I can conclude that A-TRAC is a FAR and AWAY SUPERIOR 4WD TRACTION system over the Rear Locker in 4WD. Just maybe superior over front and rear lockers (not available from Toyota) because of the steering issue?

As Hemi says, 4 wheels getting torque beets three any day. A rear locker and and open front differential is only three wheels getting torque and the front wheel is the one in the air if either one is off the ground!

Do you need to see the A-TRAC video in sugar sand showing all four tires working just the same as front and rear lockers would do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHxslTiQug&feature=player_embedded

How about a climb where the front airborn tire gets 'locked' (or 95% locked) to the traction tire? Now, he is coming to a stop a few times where his tire is in the air to demo that A-TRAC doesn't let the tire spin freely, only spins when the opposite tire spins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8la3t22W88E&feature=player_embedded

4. May 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
  5. May 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    The sales guy at the dealership I just bought mine from said only use it your stuck. Don't use it if you are 4x4ing...

I told him this is a damn Toyota. This truck better be able to take the punishment !!!

6. May 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    *"IF" you are stuck... or IF you can't move forward without using it.

That is what Toyota says, too... A-TRAC has NO SUCH RESTRICTIONS, and it doesn't try and make your truck drive straight on a curving road the way lockers do. With A-TRAC, the rear locker may never be needed again... BUT, it is nice to know it is there and can be used in a stuck.

7. May 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    David,

I think part of the reason that you and guys with lockers clash so much is that ya'll are speaking about different types of usage for your trucks.

Guys who are locked front and rear are going into situations where neither wheel is going to get sufficient traction to overcome the obstacle, where they must work simultaneously to get up/over/through. Rock crawling and mud bogs come to mind.

A-TRAC rapidly transfer power back and forth depending on which wheel is getting traction. That's an enormous improvement over open or LSD, but isn't equivalent to giving both wheels power. It solves the problem of traction on trails like that Baja trip you mentioned.

I wish I could retrofit A-TRAC as it's a lot cheaper than picking up ARB's for the front and the rear and will get the same end result as lockers in 95% of situations.

8. May 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    10-4, thank you... There is nothing more that I can say to someone who is not going to use his A-TRAC or to someone who doesn't have A-TRAC... We just go in circles.

A-TRAC comes included on our OR 4WD Tacomas as does a rear locker... there just isn't anything better (so far) from Toyota. It really does eliminate the need to spend $$ thosands on after-market products to give us traction in the front.

9. May 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Thats the problem, just because Toyota went mediocre on trucks does not mean that ATRAC=F/R lockers. It will never happen because principle on which ATRAC operates its flawed.

Too broad statement. Its sure is helpful but in long run its going to be bigger pain in the ...t then having to fit ARB lockers.
    Look at TW, how many posts are here with people having trouble with electronics. Simple example is 4wd, before you had lever linked to transfer case. You pulled lever and it was engaging 4x4. Now you have Turn nob that every time you turn you need to prey it will engage 4x4.
    When you had a link if 4x4 was not engaging it was easy to troubleshoot on the trail, it was easy to fix too. In worst case scenario screwdriver and zip tie had kept you in 4x4 until you get off the trail.
    Now dealership can not figure out why some people can not engage 4x4. So what you goign to do when you are in middle of nowhere and your 4x4 does not engage? call AAA? Same thing with ATRAC. Its all fine and dandy while truck is brand new. I want to see any of you troubleshooting your electronics in few years and paying for repairs when trucks are out of warranty. Toyota supposed to make trucks that last and are easily fixable on the go in middle of nowhere.
    The problem is how people view their truck purchase. I plan on keeping my truck forever. So I look not only in functionality but also serviceability. Personally as I said before I would not buy 5 year old truck with so much electronics. Cost and trouble of repairs would make the whole thing not worth it. Just IMO

10. May 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I'm sorry, but mediocre compared to whom? It's not like the Colorado, Ranger, etc. can even compare to the Tacoma's offroad abilities. They're not even playing the same sport.

The Frontier is close, but its traction control modes aren't as versatile (don't give you as many options as) the Tacoma, and they have lower running ground clearance and worse approach/departure/breakover angles to boot.

Full size trucks offroad are wider and heavier everywhere it's an advantage for mid-size trucks to be narrower and lighter, and many don't even offer diff locks, just limited slip axles.

I think when you bring "tool for the job" into play, there aren't many better prepared trucks for offroad driving than a Tacoma TRD OR. Jeep and Range Rover offer diff locks front and rear from factory on several models, but I can't think of too many others off the top of my head...

11. May 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Again, you are really like me BEFORE I had an A-TRAC truck... My last one was an '05 and I had an '01 before that.

People who have not used A-TRAC really shouldn't be so negative on new technology. I do hope the new electronics always work, but unless Toyota offers a choice, why the bad mouthing unless YOURS failed?

I plan to continue to drive my truck over 4WD trails and I will report anytime there is a failure... Until then, I will trust the truck and Toyota reliability... shouldn't you?

12. May 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    So you purchased 3 new vehicles over 10 year period ... :rolleyes: why? your 2001 did not last or your 2005 did not last ?
    EDIT: I currently own another Toyota truck.. 1994 with 180K miles on it. And I am expecting the same from my 07.

13. May 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    my 05 still runs perfectly.. just needs a locker :)

14. May 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

I can't speak for David, although I can say that there is quite a few of us who either have the luxury affording a new truck before we actually need one, and or, put a substantial amount of miles on our vehicles in a short duration of time warranting a new vehicle before the average period of time.

15. May 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I get them on a 5 year lease... all 4WD OFF ROAD TRD AUTO.

2001 Extra Cab: My first Toyota, got in Nov. 2000, put 136,000 miles on it by Aug. 2005... No problems at all... convinced Tacomas were the best built Baja vehicle ever!

2005 Double Cab: Got in Aug. 2005, put 102,000 miles on it by Dec. 2009...
    Had issues with ABS brakes, soft rear suspension, and the wire harness (airbag light came on)... still amazed at how cheap the truck has been with the hard off road miles. I added Ride Rite air bags and fixed the soft rear... didn't know about the TSB... Service Dept. didn't offer any help.

2010 Double Cab: Got in Dec. 2009, put nearly 7,000 miles on it in 5 months so far... Had a tranny drip, fixed after 2 trips to dealer.No other problems. The '05 soft rear suspension seems to have been corrected, have not bottomed out yet. The new TRACTION features make the 2010 a totally new and exciting truck compared to the '05, even though it looks almost identicle.

16. May 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    And again, as David said. Most of the people who argue ATRAC is not up to snuff, don't have it, or haven't used it. Hmmm, that would be every hater on this page (going by year of truck), and that's no coincidence.
    Bottom Line: I'd trade my rear diff, for a non Off Road model diff, with no locker. The strength is worth more than the locker, and only because of ATRAC. I think the point is lost on some that for a consumer available 4X4, most users would find ATRAC more than they ever need, and less intrusive.

17. May 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 [OP] YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    Man this thread turned into a nice debate/bitch-fest! lol...... but very informative i must say (in certain areas)

18. May 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I say start with the free mod, and judge for yourself, and then if you find you need more traction, buy a tank.
    J/K, then you can get a locker or 2!
    I wasn't saying lockers are bad, but with better tires and a free TRAC mod, I think the truck will be capable of more than most people (not all, obviously) put their new truck through .
    Good Luck with whatever you decide.

19. May 13, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I have a rear locker on my whimpy 4x2.

Products Discussed in

To Top