1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Locking Differential on TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slidellkid, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
  2. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I see the off topic atrac posts have been moderated out of this thread...good call :thumbsup:

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    You are thinking about the thread that was simultaneously posted along with this thread. They are still there.

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
  5. Nov 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    ive heard some bad stories driving highway speeds with locked, but it could make sense while turning on exhcanges and what not, but in the dirt, turning is not a problem, and while moving rock is not a problem. i regularly drive locked instead of 4wd while bumping through the forest to go to my camping spot. I see the truck in front of me sliding, so when im locked i never lose traction and its a calm peacful drive. no diff explosion here yet.

6. Dec 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    :annoyed:

7. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Seriously, with all the crap that gets posted on TW covering so may topics (what movie title best describes your poop, is one), getting upset when I add information on traction controls is seen to me as only a troll method to start another cat fight with the usual two or so members egging it along.

I am doing this for the newbies to TW or to Tacomas or anyone who isn't up to speed on what A-TRAC (or the other controls) is (are)... If you don't care to see it again or don't want to read... it is way too easy to just pass over my posts rather than to add insulting comments or stupidity or to make up things that I never have said...

So, how about it... let me help the countless newbies to Tacoma traction control with what Toyota says and what I (and others) have discovered or documented.

I added what I did because there is a relation between a locking differential and the Active Traction Control in what they provide. Since all 2009+ 4WDs with a locking differential ALSO have A-TRAC, it would help understand that the A-TRAC does offer twice the tration of a rear locker. Sure it works differently, but new technology generally does and takes time to get used to. Otherwise, we all would be riding a horse still! :rolleyes::D

8. Dec 1, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am twice your age, and I can read... and there really isn't any surprise to me you didn't understand what I posted, as I have tried to communicate with you the past two years.

Is upping you post count so important that "This thread is about lockers" (posted over and over) is really what excites you about Tacoma World?

Really sad that the technology and mechanics of your Tacoma doesn't inspire you to post about it, as it does me and others here. Of course, one would need to actually use the technology... After I read about it here on TW (when Toyota web site and manual was way too lacking with details, but that is all you know because you keep mentioning and linking to that), I went out and tried all the technology... The truck is a kick. Amazing that pushing a button next to the 12 volt outlet/ cig. lighter changes the Tacoma from a good truck to an amazing truck!

Have a nice day at the mall Christian!:D
    Your friend,
    David

9. Dec 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Age difference has nothing to do with this topic..which is about elockers. Just my 2cents with of opinion hahahahah

10. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No shit. If age really mattered I'm a few years past David but what the hell difference does that make. Alot of the information on atrac is very informative...why not post it in threads relevant to the subject so people can find it via the search function?

11. Apr 6, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Hey guys reviving an old thread instead of reposting. So i bought a taco with a jacked up diff. Looks like the drive shaft sheared off and has a piece still inside the carrier. So im going to remove the axles and replace the whole carrier with a used complete one. I dont know if this taco is a trd sport or offroad. Im trying ti figure out if i have elockers or not. Im new to this 4x4 stuff and sorry if my terminology is off. Any help to order the right part would be awesome.

12. Apr 6, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am so confused on what you are asking. So ill share what I know.

The driveshaft bolts to a pinion flange, which is splined onto the pinion, which drives the ring gear, which is bolted to the carrier/case, Therefore, how did you get driveshaft into your carrier? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG]

Next up, the locker, here is a picture of a 3rd member with locker,

[​IMG]

Here is a third member, no locker (older toyota 3rd member, close enough)

[​IMG]

HOPEFULLY this will shed enough light on whatever you are trying to do, to get you up and going. Any other questions, just ask, always happy to help!

13. Apr 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM
    i_cappi

i_cappi Well Known Membhair

Member:
    Canton, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TuRD Pyrite DCSB
    Well for one you'd have ATRAC, diff lock, downhill assist switches....basically no blank switch holes.
    If you dont have them, then no.
    Note* I see you have a regular. Cab. You dont have a locker. You dont have a sport or offroad. Probably an sr5.

Products Discussed in

To Top