1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear resevoir shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stump jumper, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Are they worth the extra $190? The ranch I hunt on is pretty rocky and rough but I am not doing jumps or getting airborne. I am thinking they would because there is a lot of wheel bounce going on.

2. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The reserviors are worth it if you have a high suspension travel rate. The external reservior will help keep the shocks cool so they continue to perform well. They're worth it if you need that level of performance but if you're doing slow speed runs, you probably don't NEED them but they are still nice :)

3. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I am thinking they will help control the rear end on the ranch roads. There are times when I get going a little fast and have to slow down because the rear is coming around a little bit.

4. Apr 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A good set of properly valved shocks would likely keep you in control in those situations. When I say higher speed runs, I'm refering to something like a prerunner would tackle. Very bumpy, high speed runs where the truck just needs to float over everything and the suspension needs to absorb everything. Those shocks can get very hot which is where the external reservior comes into play. For what most of us do, we don't NEED remote reserviors but a lot of people have them anyways. Not seeing the type of driving you do, it's tough to say whether you need them or not but if you can drive the roads now and be OK with standard, non-performance shocks, then just upgrading to a higher end shock would be a huge improvement already and keep your truck in line. I would recommend talking to a company that specializes in this sort of thing like Downsouth Motorsports. Explain to them the type of driving you do and see what they say.

5. Apr 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler
    i think for your application you wont need reservoirs

6. Apr 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    FTFY :cool:

Gotta put it in quotes because a lot of times we 'need' things but don't need them :D

7. Apr 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler

LAWLZ

YEEEEE

8. Apr 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Do it right the first time! They non Resi may work for you, but the key word there is "may" 100% with a resi will handle it. It's not just high travel #'s where a resi helps, it's any repetitive shock movement. Wash board roads are a great example which i'm sure you encounter, with those your not using a lot of travel, but the the shock is being used a ton very quickly and that creates heat. The Resi will allow for more oil, better cooling, less shock fade. And they do look sweet!

I have Icon's in both Resi and Non Resi in stock ready to ship and we offer a TW discount. Shoot me a PM for pricing if you want.

9. Apr 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Might be a mute point now. I am going to talk to a dealer tonight about ordering a Baja. If we can get to where the price makes sense than I will go for it. I am working with 3 and one is already within $500 of my target.

10. Apr 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you currently have shock fade issues that are heat related you need them. Otherwise you do not.

11. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Per Icon, the Tacoma rear rezzy 2.0 series and the non rezzy 2.0 differ also in that the rezzy style keeps the gas separated from the suspension fluid.

The non rezzy style, on account of the required oem shock travel are emulsion shocks that mix suspension fluid and gas together.

That alone makes the non rezzy less of a performer irregardless of heat.

PK

Products Discussed in

To Top