1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear seat belt buckle flopping and hard to engage

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by mbigpops, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Apr 22, 2023 at 5:42 PM
    mbigpops

mbigpops [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    My elderly father in law struggles mightily with finding and clicking the rear seat belt into the buckle. I decided to solve the "which one" problem by pre-engaging the middle seat belt into it's buckle before he gets into the truck.

Even after that he will still struggle with clicking the limp buckle in. Has anyone been able to stiffen the buckle up so it is easier to to engage ? I looked at the stuff on Amazon and it looks cheap and the reviews are not good. It seems like just adding a plastic piece or pieces to stiffen the limp strap would work.

Anyone solve this already ?

2. Apr 22, 2023 at 6:01 PM
    RYE793

RYE793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock SR5 Trail
    He's trying to tell you he wants to be up front

3. Apr 23, 2023 at 6:33 AM
    mbigpops

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Yeah well that's not happening as I drive and my wife gets carsick in the back.

I will just make something up to hold it. Would have been nice for Toyota to do it so we don't have to fish them out every time the seat bottom is lifted and they fall in.

4. Apr 23, 2023 at 8:47 AM
    Volt

Volt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 4x4 Double Cab V6
    My fourth red Tacoma
    There are car seat buckle holders you can find online that fit around the buckle to hold it up and make it easier to buckle:

https://www.amazon.com/MyBuckleMate-Seat-Belt-Buckle-Holders/dp/B00OZ82M4K

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Seat-Buckle-Holder-Wididi/dp/B06X1DZTKS?th=1

Also you can get seat belt buckle extenders. I use one of these for a large disabled relative and it works well for that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWJXJPG...&pd_rd_r=f1fbd3d6-e927-4307-9351-5433772b9397

I think the dealerships are required to supply seat belt extenders on request at no cost.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Malvolio and Barsoom like this.
  5. Apr 23, 2023 at 2:18 PM
    mbigpops

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Yes I looked at both products on Amazon and the reviews are not good.

To me even if extended the whole thing will flop around. Needs to be supported.

6. May 29, 2023 at 5:51 PM
    mbigpops

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Here is what I did and is working very well. I bought an 8" x 10" piece of clear lexan at the home improvement store. I had a plastic cutting knife so I cut two strips the width of the seat belt (about 2 inches wide) - one 8 inches long and the other six inches long.

I then made a "sandwich" with one piece of lexan on each side of the rear seat belt with the longer piece on the non engaging side of the buckle. I then used zip ties to hold it all together and put a piece of double sided tape to hold the buckle to the lexan.

After a couple uses the zip ties slid down so I removed the lexan and notched the sides in two places to hold the zip ties in place. The buckle is now standing proud of the rear seat and easy to find and buckle into.

I would like to find black lexan for the final solution as it would look better and hide the double sided tape (gray in the photo).

Tacoma seat belt stiffener.jpg

mrh2727 likes this.
  7. May 29, 2023 at 7:41 PM
    musicisevil

musicisevil Lesser-Known Jack Wagon

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    There’s pockets in the seat back designed to hold them when not in use. I can see them in the picture of your lexan stiffener. You stuff them up into those pockets when the seat bottom is lifted and it holds them in place as you close it.
    I guess I don’t understand the issue he’s having. Can’t he hold the buckle with one hand while clicking the seatbelt in with the other?

Chew likes this.
  8. May 30, 2023 at 8:55 AM
    canuck guy

canuck guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    23TRDOR
    The main problem as you age is that you become less flexible and your vision deteriorates. People become more proud and stubborn and refuse assistance. See if your wife can gently but firmly say something like I know you can do it but I'm going to help you with that. The extra time and effort is worth it from my experience.

mbigpops[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 9, 2024 at 3:22 PM
    AlanDL2018

AlanDL2018 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    I have looked all over the internet and Tacoma World to try and solve the problem with the rear seat belts. It would be really great if Toyota had solved the problem with molded stiffeners like they have in the front seat. Anyway here is my solution to the problem. I cut a piece of 1/8 inch hardboard and sanded the edges as shown in the first picture. Sanding the edges did two things: It helped "lock" one end into the seat belt receptacle and made it easier to slide the other end in between the sewn parts of the seat belt receptacle straps. Once in place the hardboard piece will not move and holds the receptacle up in between the seats. Now when inserting the seat belt into the seat belt receptacle it will move down slightly but stops when the hardboard piece contacts the bottom of the seat support. The end result is that you can now engage the rear seat belts with one hand. I may remove the pieces later and paint them a similar shade of grey just for aesthetics. Long story short - they work!! Seat Belt stick .jpg Seat Belt stick inserted.jpg Seat Belt stick installed ready to go.jpg

mrh2727, Barsoom and Hansamzac like this.
  10. Jul 9, 2024 at 6:43 PM
    Volt

Volt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 4x4 Double Cab V6
    My fourth red Tacoma
    Excellent idea.

11. Jul 10, 2024 at 6:19 AM
    JaTe

JaTe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    mrh2727 likes this.
  12. Jul 10, 2024 at 10:07 AM
    Kolohe07

Kolohe07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Haiku , Maui, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2022 Access cab Sport 4x4 Celestial Silver
    I agree
    This is why old people have funky toenails.
    Can't reach em,can't see em, don't care.

13. Jul 11, 2024 at 5:20 AM
    NC Gazzer

NC Gazzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 4wd 2.7 + 2023 TRD Sport
    Pool noodles are your friend here. Cut a piece to the length you need and fit it over the strap. You may have to cut a bit of a slot for the strap to fit. I would hesitate using anything real stiff like wood or plastic because those pieces could cause injury in the case of a crash. Pool noodles are soft and compliant.

How old is your dad?

Kolache007 likes this.
  14. Jul 11, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    Malvolio

Malvolio free zip ties for Stun

Member:
    SoCal Dumbgeon
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB SR5 2WD
    Well, a year older than when he started the thread. And OP hasn’t logged in since April.

That said, the red ones linked above and below worked just fine for my kids:
    https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Seat-Buckle-Holder-Wididi/dp/B06X1DZTKS?th=1

Products Discussed in

To Top