1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Shock Help

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mnudo200827, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Jul 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Ya a jack would work but I think to achieve full flex it might be a little hard with that. Maybe try just finding a play area that allows you to drive around and get flex and go from there. Actually if you have a trailer hitch and a hi-lift get locked on the hitch and just crank that sucker up!!

2. Jul 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    unfortunately i dont have a hitch or a hi-lift, but i think i can find a few ways to get the full flex out of it with using a jck and some jack stands

3. Jul 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    well the correct way to measure would be to take the leaf pack apart and just install the main leaf with a spacer to simulate the missing leafs and flex it with a jack while the truck is supported by the frame...

however thats alot of work... personally i'd just take it out somewhere with no shocks and flex it out to the max and measure....

4. Jul 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Just find a loading dock or some sort of consistant incline like that behind your local grocery store if you don't have a good berm near your house. Maybe a high/long HandiCap ramp. You'll want something that will allow you to get one wheel up to 3'-4' high with the other tire still at 0'.

If you have a 4x shop nearby, they usually have articulation ramps on site and won't mind letting you use it if you're nice.

Make sure to drive there with your shocks on, bring tools to take them off there, do your measurements a couple times on each side to get a good average, put shocks back on and go home.

5. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    Alright guys thanks for the help so far, i know how to determine the length of shocks i need, but now i need help with the ride i want with the shock. i am leaning towards a remote resivoir for sure, now i know the billys have 5150's, 7100's and 9100's, then i am all confused about all the different fox and king shocks. Pretty much with the 4" leaf pack i am getting , i want it to be a smooth on the road, possibly better than stock if possible, and then be able to handle the fast stuff in dessert no problem. I see that DSMS can do custom valving for me, but what valving do you recommend. Sorry but i know what i am looking at when i see all these different options. Thanks for the help...Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top