1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear shock mount broke off my frame today... Is my frame junk?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BLACK04TRD, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Nov 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    BLACK04TRD

BLACK04TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD, 3.4L, 5spd -- SOLD
    Stock AF
    Hi Everyone,

I want to start out by saying that researching threads here on TW has helped me through countless maintenance projects, even though I am just now finally making an account to post this. Thank you all so much for sharing your expertise!

Back to my question. On my way home from work today, my rust fears finally came to reality. My passenger rear shock mount broke off of the frame. Am I screwed? A little about the truck, it's a 2004 TRD 4x4, V6 5spd, with only 121k miles. In 2010 it was taken in to a dealership by the previous owner (I am the second owner) to have the rust recall performed, and the frame was sprayed with the "protective undercoating" (LOL). I've done my best to mediate the rust using fluid film to coat the frame inside and out every fall and spring, but with the "protective undercoating" in the way, it was sometimes hard to tell how the frame was doing behind all of that gunk. I do have detailed maintenance records including the recall notice that Toyota sent the original owner, as well as the paperwork from the dealership that performed the recall. The original date of sale was 5/4/2004. I should still be covered under warranty and eligible for a replacement frame if needed right?

I'm sorry if this post is rambling or covering a topic that has been beaten to death in the forums already... I'm legitimately freaking out right now that the truck I love might be completely worthless now.

Here's my baby... last pic is from tonight, looking up at the broken shock mount

IMG_7338.jpg IMG_7381.jpg IMG_7561.jpg

GQ7227 likes this.
  2. Nov 13, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    rogerman

rogerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    HNL 808, SPN 670
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4wd 5speed
    Your truck is a beaut! I'd get on the horn with Toyota Corporate. There are some threads on here detailing how some of the members went about it. I'm hoping for the best man!

3. Nov 14, 2018 at 5:46 AM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    Thanks man! I've tried to do my best to preserve it with regular waxings and the fluid film underneath, along with it being a complete pavement princess. :D

I dropped it at a nearby Toyota dealer late last night to have a frame inspection done... I'm hoping to hear back later today. If it is eligible for a replacement I guess I need to research what the best dealership in the DC area would be to get it done. I'll post an update when I hear from them.

4. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    Sebz13

Sebz13 appy polly loggies

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 99 3 Link SC ext cab.
    a dropped one and a high one
    Sold in cold weather state?
    Preventative spray done? Yes.
    2004?
    Any holes or perforations near the hangers for the spring that sit closer to the cab?

My original sale date for my 04 that's about to get its frame swapped is 05/04 too.

If this first dealer says no.

Call Toyota corporate, and start hitting other dealerships too.

GQ7227 likes this.
  5. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    @BLACK04TRD

That must have been a weak(er) spot on the first gen frames as far as rust. Since my Dad's 95 RH side also broke off there, it always catches my eye when someone on here says theirs has broken. Seems it is a close second or third to the spot just in front of the spring mounts to the frame.

FYI, if you do not get a new frame, I was able to fix my Dad's truck by moving the mount forward a bit to better metal. I just drilled a new hole through the frame, welded and boxed in a piece of 3/4" pipe for a bushing/reinforcement, and then remounted the shock. I did not remove the bed, but it definitely would have made the job much easier. Works fine. Anybody who is decent with a welder could do this job. Sorry no pics right now.

Stroke was shortened by maybe 1-2" which was acceptable to him based on his use of the truck: he does not off road it. However, his truck has a flatbed which is heavier than original, and he occasionally hauls up to 500lbs and new stroke length and angle are still adequate. I did add spring helpers (RockAuto $78.00) and new OEM length shocks when I built the flatbed, so that also helps prevent any issues from arising due to the shorter stroke.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1831212&cc=1278851&jsn=384

GQ7227 likes this.
  6. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:50 AM
    npbow

npbow Active Member

Member:
    I just had my frame replaced 2004 4x4 xtracab.My shock also broke off in the same place and it had a hole in the frame were the shock post was welded, and a hole in the frame under the cab.

7. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    @Sebz13 The truck was originally sold in NJ and now resides in MD, which I believe are both on the list of cold-weather states. Up until now I haven't noticed any holes or perforations, just surface rust (albeit heavy surface rust around the leaf springs perches and rear shock mounts). However now that this has happened I'm second-guessing myself that maybe I have no idea what I'm doing/looking at haha. It was hard to tell last night in the dark, but it looks like the shock mount took part of the frame with it when it broke so it must have been rotten from the inside. I'm glad to hear that Toyota is honoring your warranty and swapping your frame on your 04... was it a hard process to get them to honor it?

8. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    Sebz13

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Funny you ask....

I was looking for a project truck. I saw one on another island, the guy wanted 7 grand for it. its a 2.7L 5 speed 4wd Lunar mist with 150k. There is rust on the frame literally only at the hanger for the leafs on the passenger side. The body has some rust that I plan on repairing. The truck was taken in to Kauai Toyota and approved there. I bought the truck for a lot less than 7 grand. The truck runs great but I was having some issues with the clutch. I broke the fork while adjusting it and am just going to change everything out, clutch, flywheel, fork, ect ect. I'm actually having the clutch done today by a shop since I don't have a lift or transmission jack. From there I am taking it to toyota of maui for another inspection, because the other dealership did the approval process. But they called me last week to let me know my frame was here and to come in for another inspection. BUT the truck was approved by toyota corporate and I made sure to speak to the service manager here on Maui before I bought it.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  9. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    Sebz13

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Your rust is worse than mine and I am approved by the way.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  10. Nov 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    @Wsidr1 Thanks so much for the response! I'm amazed that so many others have had theirs break in the exact same place... makes me feel a little better about the situation I'm in. If for some reason I'm unable to get a new frame from Toyota I am definitely going to be looking at moving the mount forward as you have suggested.

@npbow Glad to hear Toyota replaced your frame! What was your experience with them? Was it tough to get it approved?

@Sebz13 Thanks for the info! Sounds like you are going to have a truck that will last you a long time once all the work is completed. I hope everything goes smoothly with your frame replacement. I'm really hoping mine gets approved, I'd love to drive it for at least another 10 years!

GQ7227 likes this.
  11. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    npbow

npbow Active Member

Member:
    No problem with them brought it in ,they took pictures called me in about three days saying it was approved.It took about four months for the frame to come in, and four days to do the job.

12. Nov 15, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    Glad it wasn't a tough ordeal! So far I'm not happy with the dealer I dropped mine off at. They said they would call me yesterday morning and didn't... so I called around noon and the lady that answered said that she would have the service manager call me when he got back from lunch. Never heard anything so I called again at about 3pm and a different person answered and said they had no record of my truck being there. WTF?! She then routed me to the service manager's desk phone, no answer, so I left a message. As of right now I still haven't been contacted... should I go pick it up and take it somewhere else?? I don't understand why they can't call me and at least tell me what's going on...

Last thing, did any of you get a rental while your frames were being inspected? Obv if I am accepted for a replacement frame I'll get a rental, but wasn't sure about the time between dropping it off for inspection and when it's accepted. Uber'ing to work is going to start getting expensive fast haha

btw, just throwing it out there, the dealer it's currently at is Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda MD

13. Nov 15, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    npbow

npbow Active Member

Member:
    They gave me a rental at no cost for the time the truck was there.The process is if they find hole(s) they take pics and send them to someone that handles this in the coporate office, and they detemine if they will cover the frame change cost to the dealer.

14. Nov 15, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    Tacoday22

Tacoday22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    Prev: 17 TRDOR 6MT / Pres: 04 ACCAB TRDOR AT
    Unrelated to this thread—what tire size do you have?

15. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    @Tacoday22 Haha no worries, they are 265/75R16. Suspension and everything is completely stock.

I'll tell you what though I'm never buying KO2's ever again, they have been horrendous in the rain.

16. Nov 15, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    Update:

I went to the dealer and got my truck back tonight. Get this, the service manager tells me that they inspected the frame and that everything looks great and I’m good to go. I ask, “what about the broken shock mount? Why would that happen if it wasn’t rusted?” Dude stares at me like he has no idea what I’m talking about, so we go over to the truck and I show him how the mount is completely broken and the shock is flopping around. He’s like “wow yeah that’s broken, the techs didn’t say anything about that.” FML haha

So they put it back on the lift, take pictures and assure me they will send them to Toyota corporate. They then removed the shock with the busted mount and sent me on my way. I was so done with them at this point I just wanted to leave and take the truck somewhere else.

Once it’s done snowing/raining here I’m going to crawl under to look much more thoroughly and take pics to post here on the thread. Pictured below is the shock mount that broke and the service ticket. What are you alls thoughts? Did I just happen to find an incompetent dealership? Haha

857239FD-AA7D-4896-A6F7-5EBBF5EEFD0E.jpg

27A68C0D-5286-4D55-A1B4-20AFA4C3454D.jpg 8DF305F2-F5A2-4CE0-BCBB-3DE3B501F761.jpg

17. Nov 15, 2018 at 7:42 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    Those buttheads didn’t even inspect your truck, they were just gonna send you on the way....next dealership please!

18. Nov 16, 2018 at 3:36 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    Did you take pictures of your entire frame while it was on the lift? That might help to asses the condition of the frame.

GQ7227 likes this.
  19. Nov 16, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    BLACK04TRD

Member:
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle:
    Stock AF
    @RysiuM Unfortunately I did not... in hindsight I should have insisted on coming with them when they put it back on the lift so I could take my own pictures. I just reached back out to that service manager and asked if he could email me copies of the pics they sent to Toyota corporate. If/when he sends them I will post here.

speedtre likes this.
  20. Nov 16, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    speedtre

speedtre Well-Known Member

Member:
    DirtySouth
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCLB TRD OR AT 4x4

Dude, they clearly did NOT inspect the frame...which is a safety issue. If I was you, I would not hesitate to bring up the word "lawsuit" if you get any pushback from corporate...and I generally think our society is TOO litigious, but that is ridiculous!

Products Discussed in

To Top